SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux/Winona game thread

sprig

If the Sioux ran the ball more, there would have been a number of fans saying that they were being too conservative, and why move away from something that is working. Sometimes I think the offensive coaches can't win. While I share the sentiment that this has a makings for a special team, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Last year the Sioux throttled everyone then ran into one game that changed the confidence level. They never totally got it back again. Let's hope they learned from last year.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Sioux ran the ball more, there would have been a number of fans saying that they were being too conservative, and why move away from something that is working. Sometimes I think the offensive coaches can't win.

The thing that concerns me about the running game is that Reed Manke is UND's leading rusher this season. That would be fine if UND were an option team, but we are not. If we keep winning 49-2 with our QB as the leading rusher, that is fine and dandy. But I think we need to establish a rushing game that has a running back carrying the ball behind an offensive line that is getting alot of "push" when we start playing teams like South Dakota, UN-Omaha, and Duluth.

If the Sioux ran the ball more, there would have been a number of fans saying that they were being too conservative, and why move away from something that is working. Sometimes I think the offensive coaches can't win. While I share the sentiment that this has a makings for a special team, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Last year the Sioux throttled everyone then ran into one game that changed the confidence level. They never totally got it back again. Let's hope they learned from last year.

I'm not complaining about the playcalling per se. I love to see Mussman be aggressive with the playcalling, which he generally has been this year. I just thought the lack of running yesterday was surprising because:

1. We saw last week against a team physically superior to Winona that UND can run the ball very effectively;

2. UND ran for over 200 yards last year at Winona;

3. When you get a big early lead, you would kind of expect to start pounding the ball at what should be an overmatched defense to keep the clock moving;

4. After Chappell's monster game vs. UNI, I thought he would get more than two offensive touches;

5. It seems bizarre that the leading rusher among running backs had four carries, which was the same as Manke and Belmore!

Maybe this is a silly question but....

How can an offensive line be good at protecting the pass but bad at protecting (or whatever you want to call it) the run?

Pass blocking and Run blocking are completely different in technique. Run blocking requires Offensive linemen to get on a player and drive him in a certain direction, or if that can't be managed maintain the block and pressure on the defensive player so they can't make the tackle or plug up the running lanes. One missed assignment or block typically will cause a run play to fail. IMO run blocking is a lot tougher than pass blocking because who or how you block can change a split second before the play based upon a defense changing the front they line up in.

Pass blocking you don't go after the defense as much as you wait for them to sort themselves out before you block. Sometimes the Offensive linemen will be assigned to block a man and sometimes they will each be responsible for a gap. Pass blocking requires stregnth and technique, but not as much power and explosiveness and run blocking. Hand position is critical with both types of blocking, but moreso with pass blocking.

This certainly isn't everything related to the types of blocking but it's a general idea of what each require. Some players find run blocking easier while other find pass blocking easier, a lot depends on the player but most will find pass blocking easier because blocking assignments don't change dramatically with pass blocking, and the likelyness of missing a block or getting off balance is slightly less with pass blocking (assuming the player has decent technique)

Pass blocking and Run blocking are completely different in technique. Run blocking requires Offensive linemen to get on a player and drive him in a certain direction, or if that can't be managed maintain the block and pressure on the defensive player so they can't make the tackle or plug up the running lanes. One missed assignment or block typically will cause a run play to fail. IMO run blocking is a lot tougher than pass blocking because who or how you block can change a split second before the play based upon a defense changing the front they line up in.

Pass blocking you don't go after the defense as much as you wait for them to sort themselves out before you block. Sometimes the Offensive linemen will be assigned to block a man and sometimes they will each be responsible for a gap. Pass blocking requires stregnth and technique, but not as much power and explosiveness and run blocking. Hand position is critical with both types of blocking, but moreso with pass blocking.

This certainly isn't everything related to the types of blocking but it's a general idea of what each require. Some players find run blocking easier while other find pass blocking easier, a lot depends on the player but most will find pass blocking easier because blocking assignments don't change dramatically with pass blocking, and the likelyness of missing a block or getting off balance is slightly less with pass blocking (assuming the player has decent technique)

Thank you BigGame. I didn't know that.

Who has the signature that lists our championship accomplishments? Please at least make a post so I can quote it, I'm too lazy to do the research.

I'm a little late but here you go.

As far as the questions about the alcohol, you can bring drinks into every section except for the student section. I was in section 209 and there were plenty of people with drinks over there. Also, the beer bottles are plastic. And when you buy them, they keep the bottle top. Apparently drunk people find them too tempting to throw at players, refs, etc.

Thank you BigGame. I didn't know that.

I guess that I always heard that offensive linemen preferred run blocking to pass blocking. As mentioned for pass blocking, it is more a defensive maneuver. With run blocking they get to lay some licks on the defensive team and get after them a bit rather than take the beating. But BigGame has it right, they are two entirely different techniques and philosophies. And of course, sometimes it is important to make one look like the other one in order to confuse the defense and give them the wrong reads.

I guess that I always heard that offensive linemen preferred run blocking to pass blocking. As mentioned for pass blocking, it is more a defensive maneuver. With run blocking they get to lay some licks on the defensive team and get after them a bit rather than take the beating. But BigGame has it right, they are two entirely different techniques and philosophies. And of course, sometimes it is important to make one look like the other one in order to confuse the defense and give them the wrong reads.

Yes, I would agree run blocking is more fun especially pull and trap or kick out blocks. It's also more difficult to adjust to slanting linemen when you are run blocking.

Attendance was 10,333.

Can't really find to many flaws in today's performance. The offense was stellar, the defense was stellar. I would prefer that with guys like Strouth and Chappell in the backfield that our QB would not be our leading rusher.

I have little to no confidence in Hellevang. His first PAT went in but it was a duck. All but two of his kickoffs were rather short. He missed his one field goal attempt. And apparently the staff doesn't have alot of confidence in him either to fake the one field goal when we already had pretty good lead.

My biggest concern of the day is that there is no Little Ceasar's Pizza at the Al anymore. They were apparently replaced with the frozen microwavable single mini pizzas by Red Baron. Oh yeah, and they were out of nachos. :D

I noticed the Bison had 16,000 fans at their game. I also heard they were giving away tickets like crazy. I heard they were giving them away at Scheels and all over the radio waves all week. Are those give aways counted as sold tickets. Our attendance is still very good since the Fargo area has about three times the population. The Rocky thing brought in a lot of people too. I see they cheered his return and for the most part "boo"ed him out of town a few years ago. This Sioux team is really fun to watch. Offensively it is really fun to watch a team that your never sure what rabbit they are going to pull out of their hat.

I also heard they were giving away tickets like crazy. I heard they were giving them away at Scheels and all over the radio waves all week.

Don't forget the Stop-n-Go "buy one get one free" deal.

The gate and the 'take' from the gate would be interesting numbers (given the comps and the 2-for-1s).

Don't forget the Stop-n-Go "buy one get one free" deal.

The gate and the 'take' from the gate would be interesting numbers (given the comps and the 2-for-1s).

So how would give aways work for reaching DI attendance levels? (not that the NCAA forces it anyways)

So how would give aways work for reaching DI attendance levels? (not that the NCAA forces it anyways)

Just think if UND makes the playoffs they Cant Have a Home playoff game....one more thing UND should play at the old football feild by the tracks....but i guess they like playing indoors...

Just think if UND makes the playoffs they Cant Have a Home playoff game....one more thing UND should play at the old football feild by the tracks....but i guess they like playing indoors...

Outdoors

UND 51

Winona 6

Indoors

UND 49

Winona 2

Eh, either way it's about the same.

Outdoors

UND 51

Winona 6

Indoors

UND 49

Winona 2

Sure they like playing indoors, so what?!

Why won't we have a home play off game when we make the playoffs? Unless you're one of the lawyers for the NC$$ or UND, you can't know that. And since you haven't graduated from Jr. High yet, it's highly unlikely that you are an attorney.

This is the way it is supposed to work:

There is 'actual' and 'paid' attendance. For satisfying the 15k average attendance requirement, either will work. Tickets must be sold at 1/3 or more of their pre-season value to be counted. (I take this to mean 2-for-1's count, since each ticket was sold for 1/2 value.) Tickets sold at less than that(give-aways) can be counted only if the tickets are actually used. The students count because of the activity fee, but they must either be given tickets which are later counted or they must enter through a seperate gate and be counted there. The band counts if it's counted by an athletic department official, but the players, cheerleaders and students performing stadium services do not count.

The loophole in this requirement is that the school's athletic department or development foundation can use one or more financial contributers to buy tickets at 1/3 price to inflate the paid attendance if needed. I highly doubt any I-A school is going to miss the attendance requirement from this point on.

BTW, the 16,134 NDSU vs. Northeastern attendence figure is actual, not paid. We all know the old Dakotah Field numbers were inflated beyond any reality, but since moving to DI, the numbers are honest.

Everything you want to know, and more:

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance...Information/FBD

Outdoors

UND 51

Winona 6

Indoors

UND 49

Winona 2

Getting punished two years in a row should be enough to shut morons up. But apparently lessons are tough to learn. If my team had been outscored 100-8 in two games I would probably not be back on the other teams website. But like sioux-cia put it, I graduated JR High.

You would think that a troll from an opposing program who posts on the opponents message board all week leading up to the game. Would go away after his team was soundly defeated. Nope. Or at least logic would lead you to believe that he would be go away after the Sioux whooped some Warrior butt. Honestly this is almost as stupid as a Gopher hockey fan telling me that there is no way the Sioux would beat the Gophers after the HC beat the Gophers. I said look Moron we don't have to play your team, you guys lost. Your team is gone. Warrior your season is basically over.

Nope, then this troll spends all the next week trolling and talking smack after his team was pasted. Actually his teams was pasted not once but twice. You would think he would get it after awhile.

Lets deal with reality. The NSIC is a weak football league, I bet its why Bubby is happy to be playing in the NCC. There is no way around it, Winona supposed to the top team of the league, you didn't even put up a fight. You got smoked. This is almost as good as UND smoking you in your own arena. I wouldn't be talking smack if I were you Warrior_08.

What are you talking about? That was a positive comment.

Well yeah, but still. You had your chance to taunt him but instead you took the wait and see attitude. You've got no adventure left in you and that makes me sad. The most exciting thing in your life is when on Sundays your wife lets you put brown sugar and bananas in your daily bowl of oatmeal. What a treat! :D

The most exciting thing in your life is when on Sundays your wife lets you put brown sugar and bananas in your daily bowl of oatmeal. What a treat! :D

It is, especially now that they have that new crunchy stuff to sprinkle on. Sure, it's a challenge for my Poligrip, but challenges like that keep my mind sharp. :love: