SiouxSports.com Forum

Dane Jackson

jk

TH announcing it (as reported on the Berry thread) makes it a pretty good bet that he'll be the new assistant. He played in the dead zone years for me -- right after I graduated and moved away, and before the internet -- so I only saw him play a few times.

Here's his hockey career to date (apologies for formatting as I just pasted it over):

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2487

Dane Jackson Right Wing

Born May 17 1970 -- Castlegar, BC

Height 6.01 -- Weight 200 -- Shoots R

Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 3 #44 overall 1988 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1988-89 U. of North Dakota NCAA 30 4 5 9 33

1989-90 U. of North Dakota NCAA 44 15 11 26 56

1990-91 U. of North Dakota NCAA 37 17 9 26 79

1991-92 U. of North Dakota NCAA 39 23 19 42 81

1992-93 Hamilton Canucks AHL 68 23 20 43 59 -- -- -- -- --

1993-94 Hamilton Canucks AHL 60 25 35 60 75 4 2 2 4 16

1993-94 Vancouver Canucks NHL 12 5 1 6 9 -- -- -- -- --

1994-95 Vancouver Canucks NHL 3 1 0 1 4 6 0 0 0 10

1994-95 Syracuse Crunch AHL 78 30 28 58 162 -- -- -- -- --

1995-96 Rochester Americans AHL 50 27 19 46 132 19 4 6 10 53

1995-96 Buffalo Sabres NHL 22 5 4 9 41 -- -- -- -- --

1996-97 Rochester Americans AHL 78 24 34 58 111 10 7 4 11 14

1997-98 Rochester Americans AHL 28 10 13 23 55 3 2 2 4 4

1997-98 New York Islanders NHL 8 1 1 2 4 -- -- -- -- --

1998-99 Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 80 16 27 43 103 3 0 1 1 16

1999-00 Rochester Americans AHL 21 6 9 15 8 -- -- -- -- --

2000-01 Rochester Americans AHL 69 16 12 28 104 4 1 1 2 4

2001-02 Manchester Monarchs AHL 76 16 21 37 93 5 1 0 1 9

2002-03 Manchester Monarchs AHL 63 6 14 20 80 3 0 1 1 0

NHL Totals 45 12 6 18 58 6 0 0 0 10

Coaching [notes]

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

2003-04 Manchester Monarchs AHL Assistant Coach

2004-05 Manchester Monarchs AHL Assistant Coach

I am rather surprised that Johnson wasn't the pick as he seemed to have very good contacts throughout the USHL and AAA programs. I hope that Jackson is able to provide what the coaching staff needs from that position. Good to have him back with the Sioux. According to Schlossman's blog he was the head coach of the Adirondack Frostbite of the UHL last season. http://gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/. Just scroll down to the first applicants and it has it there.

I'm surprised this hasn't made this board yet....

Just one man's opinion, but it sounds good:

"Our rookies were our leading scorers by the end of the season," Melrose said. "He did a terrific job with them. So, I think going to a college program will be perfect for him. He'll do a great job in Grand Forks."

The right winger played professionally from the time he graduated in 1992 until 2003, including stints in the NHL with the Vancouver Canucks, Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders.
Hopefully this is appealing to those top flight recruits.

"What I liked about Dane was that he was a winner," Melrose said. "Everywhere he's been, he's won. He was the perfect coaching candidate. I talked to a lot of my friends in the business, and they all spoke very highly of him.

"He's a great leader and that's what you want out of a coach. He's a take-charge kind of guy. He was always out there on the ice helping guys out."

Congratulations to Cary Eades as well for being named Associate Head Coach.

Congratulations and welcome aboard to Dane Jackson.

I like some of the things listed in the Sicatoka's link. The Tom Hoghaug award, and the All-Academic awards, assistant captaincy, as well as graduating in 4 years all say this guy took everything seriously, not just playing hockey. Then on to an 11 year pro career, and some good coaching experience.

Hakstol's first hire was a very good one. It will play out over time whether Hakstol hired the right guy this time as well, but Jackson looks good on paper.

Has anyone contacted Jackson yet to let him know this board is a treasure trove of resource for his new job? :silly:

Brad Schlossman has this Q&A with Jackson on his blog.

I had not known that Eades had recruited Jackson way back when. Interesting how it all ties together.

You'll be working with a good friend in Dave Hakstol, who was a teammate of yours for three seasons.

Jackson: He was a great teammate and he was well respected for his work ethic. He's always been a friend. And Cary (Eades)... he recruited me. I always have had a close relationship with him. Cary is a British Columbia guy like me, he's a big winger like me, and he really took me under his wing and taught me a lot.

Brad Berry became known for his work with defensemen. What responsibilities do you anticipate having at UND?

Jackson: I'll be doing recruiting and I'll work closely with Hakstol on the penalty kill, but the thing he wants me to do the most is special skill development -- taking guys aside and working on individual skills during and after practice -- more focus on individually bettering themselves. I'll grab guys and take extra time to teach the finer points of the game and make them well-rounded players.

I believe Hakstol was a captain of pretty much every team he was on, beginning at UND and continuing on to his pro career. That doesn't happen by accident. There has to be genuine natural leadership present.

Likewise, I can't remember the source, but I think I read somewhere that Jackson was a captain five times in his professional career.

That kind of compelling leadership is important when leading a team through adversity (anyone remember the Final Five, when the team seemed to lose a player every period: Murray, Bina, Prpich?) and in recruiting, when you're trying to convince a player and his family that his and your best interests follow the same path.

Jackson is also relatively young and can inject youthful enthusiasm into the program (no offense to Berry, who is my age). Losing Berry was a difficult blow to the program, but it looks like they've made the best of it. Time will tell.

There's a letter to the editor of the Herald today basically chastising Hakstol for not hiring Steve Johnson. Here's the link. Scroll down to the last letter on the page.

The writer does preface the letter by saying "Taking nothing away from Dane Jackson", then goes on to say how "UND could jeopardize its recruiting of elite U.S.-born players. All three current UND coaches are Canadian-born players. UND has sent a message to U.S.-born players that its recruiting focus is elsewhere..." Hmm... where is Brad Berry from? How were the Sioux ever able to recruit any US-born players when he was here?

The writer then adds "Many USHL coaches vocally supported Johnson in his bid to become a UND assistant." He failed to mention how that would directly affect the success that their own teams would have, as Johnson would have no longer been in the league for them to coach against.

I find it quite amusing that Hakstol takes his first two teams to the Frozen Four, then gets a letter written in the Herald that basically calls him a dumba$$ because he "missed an excellent opportunity to promote a Grand Forks native."

I think Brad Schlossman should write an article addressing these issues with Hakstol. Maybe then the Johnson PR machine will relax a bit.

There's a letter to the editor of the Herald today basically chastising Hakstol for not hiring Steve Johnson. Here's the link. Scroll down to the last letter on the page.

The writer does preface the letter by saying "Taking nothing away from Dane Jackson", then goes on to say how "UND could jeopardize its recruiting of elite U.S.-born players. All three current UND coaches are Canadian-born players. UND has sent a message to U.S.-born players that its recruiting focus is elsewhere..." Hmm... where is Brad Berry from? How were the Sioux ever able to recruit any US-born players when he was here?

The writer then adds "Many USHL coaches vocally supported Johnson in his bid to become a UND assistant." He failed to mention how that would directly affect the success that their own teams would have, as Johnson would have no longer been in the league for them to coach against.

I find it quite amusing that Hakstol takes his first two teams to the Frozen Four, then gets a letter written in the Herald that basically calls him a dumba$$ because he "missed an excellent opportunity to promote a Grand Forks native."

I think Brad Schlossman should write an article addressing these issues with Hakstol. Maybe then the Johnson PR machine will relax a bit.

Jay LaDue is clueless and Hak is the man!

It's easy to talk big in a letter to the editor. Unfortunately for him, his name is at the bottom of the letter, so everyone knows who wrote the rant. Jay LaDue...it was you, and everyone knows it. Now get off your soapbox and leave the hiring and coaching to those who know what they are doing.

It's ammusing how some Grand Forks residents always think the best canidate has to be a Grand Forks native. If someone from Grand Forks applies for the job, he should automatically get it! UND should've hired Johnson because of all the Lincoln players he sent to UND. Because they didn't hire him Lincoln players will somehow stop going to UND even though Johnson is still the coach. Ummmmm......OK.... ;)

USHL coaches will take this news as a negative reflection of their league's value to UND.

I'm not exactly sure how they would make this leap in logic.

I'm not exactly sure how they would make this leap in logic.

Interesting...... wasn't Hakstol a head coach in the USHL? How sad is it that UND doesn't value the USHL enough when they only are represented at UND by the Head Coach (Hakstol). ;)

Diggler- It doesn't surprise me at all. I mean, ever since Phil Lamoreaux donned a Sioux jersey he has automatically been the better goaltender despite JPar's record. Why? Because what Phil did in the USHL (only because those guys can't justify it only by where Phil is from) and because he's a Grand Forks product. I like having local boys on the team. I think Steve would have made a fine assistant coach. However, I don't think your hometown has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING in terms of a sport.

Another example: Say you have a pro basketball team in Grand Forks, ND. You have a need for a Center that can score that will be the key to your hopes at a title. Now, who would you choose? A guy from Grand Forks who shows a little promise (boom or bust)? Or a Canadian or Minnesotan (or wherever) that has bona fide talent at the Center position (that seems to be as close to a sure thing as a recruit can be)?

Tell you what, I bet half the rubes in Grand Forks would take the local boy. Me? I would take whichever one would best put the team in the position of success. Maybe it would be the Grand Forks kid, but maybe it wouldn't. Either way, the team comes first and the hometown plays the part of the "oh by the way" part of the roster card.