SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry

crosby_87

The search for a replacement has already started.

Hakstol didn't say whether UND will be looking for someone to work with the defenseman, only that he will "try to find the best overall fit for the program."

Because of the timing of the job opening, Hakstol said it may limit some applicants.

And not surprisingly for any move UND makes:

"We're going to try to be very methodical in everything we do," he said. "The best interest of the program is being considered."

I think recruiting should be a major criteria for Hak's associate. That's why I immediately went to Steve Johnson in my first post. He's the head coach (and GM?) of the Lincoln Stars currently and is really in the know when it comes to juniors and evaluating that kind of talent. I think his coaching would translate well to the WCHA.

I like the suggestion of Ludwig.

Here's a darkhorse: Tom Ward (I think that's his name)... or whoever it is that is the head varsity hockey coach at SSM. Not as polished of a resume' as those mentioned above, but again, he's got the know when it comes to recruits.

There's a bunch of other coaches I think would make good associates, but I don't think they'll either apply or get the job (like the head coach of the DIII St. Johns team... Harrington? or Hastings or whatever his name is that is the head coach of either Sioux City or Sioux Falls of the USHL)

What about Tony Hrkac?

Tom Ward is a good coach and recruiter, but he is a former Gopher player and assistant coach which would make it hard to swallow for guys like Koberinski and any other alums that might be overlooked in order to hire Ward. But then again, if he was the best man for the job and could bleed green, then who knows. After all, Blais really became a gopher antagonist after playing for the gophs. Ward did play defense, so that would be a plus.

I don't think that Hak should rush into a decision. He could put an interim coach in place until the 'right candidate' becomes available.

Are you thinking of someone from Fargo who likes Joe Chapman? ???

Yeah, my idea probably isn't gonna fly. I understand when all the 'interim' coaches on the list were told they would not be considered for the permanent position, they would have no say in who is recruited and would need the blessing of Governor, they asked to be be taken off the 'interim' Chancellor assistant coach list. ???

Sit down and take a deep breath Diggler. I know this may come as a shock, but there may be other candidates besides you. ???

Well obviously there are other canidates. It's a state job, UND has to select a few other people to interview even if they are just token interviews.

I'm going with the "C"of the 1997 NCAA Champs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???

Dane Litke Defense

Born Aug 11 1972 -- Beausejour, MAN

Height 5.10 -- Weight 180 -- Shoots R

Regular Season Playoffs

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

1993-94 U. of North Dakota NCAA 34 0 14 14 6

1994-95 U. of North Dakota NCAA 26 2 7 9 10

1995-96 U. of North Dakota NCAA 37 2 14 16 20

1996-97 U. of North Dakota NCAA 39 3 27 30 14

1997-98 Nashville Ice Flyers CHL 61 11 30 41 26 9 5 5 10 2

1998-99 Florida Everblades ECHL 67 10 25 35 21 5 0 1 1 0

1999-00 Florida Everblades ECHL 62 6 25 31 12 5 0 1 1 2

2000-01 Baton Rouge Kingfish ECHL 69 10 33 43 24 2 1 1 2 2

2001-02 Baton Rouge Kingfish ECHL 67 9 24 33 24 -- -- -- -- --

i know they may lean towards a defensive minded coach but i say hire tony hrkac...just throwing it out there, didn't he do some sort of coaching with milwaukee last year or maybe not milwaukee but somewhere i believe.....

found a little bit

Hrkac retired from professional hockey after the 2004-05 season, most recently playing for the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League. This year, he's a coaching assistant for the Admirals.

http://www.zoominfo.com/directory/Hrkac_Tony_388270173.htm

IN HRKAC CIRCUS I TRUST ???

tonyhrkacund.jpg

Tom Ward is a good coach and recruiter, but he is a former Gopher player and assistant coach which would make it hard to swallow for guys like Koberinski and any other alums that might be overlooked in order to hire Ward. But then again, if he was the best man for the job and could bleed green, then who knows. After all, Blais really became a gopher antagonist after playing for the gophs. Ward did play defense, so that would be a plus.

He's sent his fair share of Shattuck boys our way. Well, him and JP, but still... I don't think what school you went to should really matter.

And if Tony Hrkac is already an assistant coach with the AHL Milwaukee Admirals, I'm not sure that he'd relocate to take a similar job in an Amateur league, alma mater or not. It isn't too common where a coach from a higher level of hockey takes on a similar or lesser job at a lesser level.