SiouxSports.com Forum

Brad Berry

crosby_87

While UND is a great place to coach, some people have aspirations beyond college hockey. Let's face it the hours on the road recruiting can get pretty old, especially when you have a family you would like to spend more time with. It will be interesting to see who they get to replace Berry. Names to consider would have to be Steve Johnson, Ian Kallay (if he wants to coach still), Dane Litke, Mark Pivetz, and Koberinski. Anyone have a list of people that applied last time for the position?

One of my favorite 'muscle' men on the ice! Why do you think you would be 'an interesting person' for job?

I would be an interesting person for the job because I am completely unqualified ;)

Ludwig would be interesting because he is probably one of the smartest stay at home D men to play the game. Usually smart players like him make pretty good coaches. I know he helped coach the Stars after he retired, but I have no idea what he has done since then.

After a lengthy NHL career, he is probably not looking to be an assistant college coach. I think he would be the ideal person to take over for Berry. I don't think it would ever happend, but it would be nice.

Ludwig was in GF the season before last helping coach the Dallas AAA midget team, in the REA tourney that SSM won (featuring Toews, Okposo, Dysak, Genoway, Esposito, and Gergen, among others). His kids were playing for the Dallas team at the time. I would think he'd make a super defenseman' coach, it he's interested.

Litke is in Bismarck with the Bobcats. Lots of good candidates, but I'd hope it's a defensive defenseman that takes over Berry's spot. A good recruiter in Canada would also be good on the resume.

GF will be flooded with resumes from dozens of current assistants in the college game. I'd suspect Hakstol will pick someone who has been doing a good job recruiting and is willing to hit the road. I'd be shocked if dozens of guys aren't be lining up for this opportunity.

The story specifically mentions Kober (Scott Koberinski) as a possible replacement. Considering school opens in less than a month, Kober would seem to have an inside track.

I'd rather get someone who can continue developing defensemen like Brad did and like Scott Sandelin did before that. I think the perfect candidate has a son playing for the Sioux right now. I suspect he could come on short notice and was a pretty good defenseman for the Sioux himself. He also played in the NHL for several years. His son will be a sophomore this year and (most likely) be with the Sioux for a couple more years. I say we start a Marc Chorney rally. ;)

I say we start a Marc Chorney rally. ;)

That only works to keep college presidents in their current positions (or so some would have us believe).

Yes, a defenseman would be nice, but don't forget there is one on the staff right now. :lol:

I suspect that hockey resumes are printing all around the US and Canada as we speak.

Forgot, there is one requirement for being a Sioux coach -- getting booted for fighting against the gophers.

Now, with these new guidelines, who is available to coach the Sioux? Are Marty Schriner or Jim Archibald looking for a job?

I want to wish Brad and his Family all the luck in the world. Brad is a great guy and HE will be missed. I wonder if the salary had anything to do with it. I had heard that hak went in to try to get more money for his staff and Bunning SAID NO.Haks staff is one oF the lowest to mid paid coaches in the WCHA. What bulls--t is that all they do is win win win and we can not afford to pay what they deserve. If we want to make this big D-1 move we better be able to pay our caoches what they deserve or more will be leaving.St Cloud's assit womens basketball coach makes 25,000.00 more then our assit makes. We have lost alot of good people recently?;)?:lol:?;)?WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe that Jim Archibald was interested in a coaching position with UND previously.

I had a chance to visit breifly with him at the World Juniors and told him that I would have loved to see him back in Grand Forks with the Sioux. He indicated that he would have liked to have been back as well.

Archibald is a true UND Hockey God and would be a great asset to the team on and off the ice!

Who knows, stranger things have happened.

But does the head coach have as much time available to concentrate on developing these guys as an assistant has?

The reason I mentioned Chorney was because of the timing. It's 3 weeks before schools starts and I suspect Chorney knows the system quite well. He recently sold his company so he's "unemployed". :angry: He's done quite well for himself, so maybe we could get him "on-the-cheap". He could give back to UND with an in-kind intrim position for the winter. ;) This would give Hak the opportunity to fill the position for the winter. Chorney probably wouldn't be interested in spending a lot of time on the road and there's quite a bit of recruiting to be done in August, so he could promote Kober so he could hit the recruiting trail. Then they could concentrate on filling the position next spring.

Another possibility could be John Marks. He also has a lake home in the area. I believe he was the head coach of a IHL team on the East Coast, but I think that gig came to an end recently.

Would seem that Chorney, given the period he played in 79 and 80, must have the "beat on a gopher" qualification. Although "beat on a Badger" seemed to be more common during that period.

Anyone know where Al Hangsleben hangs out these days?

Would seem that Chorney, given the period he played in 79 and 80, must have the "beat on a gopher" qualification. Although "beat on a Badger" seemed to be more common during that period.

Anyone know where Al Hangsleben hangs out these days?

When his playing days ended with the Washington Capitals he stayed in the Washington DC area. He was with a construction company. He even worked on some White House projects. Last time I was out to see him he was living close by Chesapeake Bay. He would have been at the REA for a game/reunion last winter but I believe he had to cancel because of Gordy Hangslebens situation. I haven't seen Hank for a while, but he was a very good friend in college. He signed with the New England Whalers after his junior year and when they made the playoffs he flew me and Gordy out to Hartford to see the games. He always makes it back for hunting season and hopefully he'll be back for a game this winter.