SiouxSports.com Forum

The Roster As It Exists Today

The Sicatoka

Didn't work out? So by your logic, you'll surely admit that Z. Parise's and Bochenski's careers didn't work out. I didn't know you had to win a National Title in order for your college choice to work out. That's a new one.

Buckysieve, you are obviously passionate about Gopher hockey so I have to ask you a serious question. Doesn't it irritate you that when the Gophers got it handed to them by the Badgers in the 3rd place game of the Final Five, the don's response was "the last time I checked they don't hand out a trophy for the 3rd place game"?

I respect a program that goes out and plays to the best of their ability on any given night regardless of who is watching or what is on the line and not make excuses if things don't work out as planned. A UND defensemen said last year something to the effect that every time he put the Sioux jersey on, it meant something regardless of what was on the line.

I guess that is why I so dislike the Gophers under the don's reign because it does matter and they should have gone out and beat the Badgers to get on a roll into the NCAA's. Instead, one week later, one of the most talented teams on-paper was done for the year at the hands of HC. I would still be incensed if I were a Gopher fan as I would surely expect more than that.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buckysieve, you are obviously passionate about Gopher hockey so I have to ask you a serious question, doesn't it irritate you that when the Gophers got it handed to them by the Badgers in the 3rd place game of the Final Five, the don's response was "the last time I checked they don't hand out a trophy for the 3rd place game"?

I respect a program that goes out and plays to the best of their ability on any given night regradless of who is watching or what is on the line and not make excuses if things don't work out as planned. A UND defensemen said last year something to the effect that every time he put the Sioux jersey on, it meant something regardless of what was on the line.

I guess that is why I so dislike the Gophers under the don's reign because it does matter and they should have gone out and beat the Badgers to get on a roll into the NCAA's. Instead, one week later, one of the most talented teams on-paper was done for the year at the hands of HC. I would still be incensed if I were a Gopher fan as I would surely expect more than that.

Oh come on. The real reason you don't like the Gophers under the Don's reign is because of two NCAA titles, two Broadmoor trophies, and a Macnaughton Cup. :D

In all honesty I expected the Gophers to play poorly against the Badgers in the third place game because they played the night before. I'm not whining about the fact that the Gophers play in the Friday night semi every year but the one downfall is if they lose that game there really isn't a lot left in the tank for the next afternoon.

And yes, I do think that third place games are meaningless unless you're on the bubble for the NCAA's. There's a reason the NCAA dropped the third place game years ago in hockey and in basketball. It's a pointless game where your only concern should be to get out of it without any serious injuries.

Didn't work out? So by your logic, you'll surely admit that Z. Parise's and Bochenski's careers didn't work out. I didn't know you had to win a National Title in order for your college choice to work out. That's a new one.

Perhaps bad wording on my part there. I should have added "their final year." Truth be told, it didn't pan out their final year. They did flourish. I don't doubt they'd have no regrets in suiting up for the Gophers. Especially Ryan. UND didn't do a very good job with Grant and families tend to stick together.

As for Zach Parise and Bochenski's careers, I never said careers. I meant time as collegians, and, according to the Gopher faithful, national championships ARE what count as successful. We hear about that every time the Vanek vs Parise argument comes up. Do I think RPot and Irman were poor players? NOpe. Do I think Bo and ZPar were bad players? Nope. Did it work out NC wise? Nope on all counts. But think about it, when you go back to GPL and ask "How good was Zach Parise compared to Ryan Potulny and Thomas Vanek" What answers do you think you'd get? I'd expect "He was alright, maybe better than Potulny, but Vanek has 2 NCs and ZPar has none, so that's 2-0 Gophers" Please surely admit that that would be the case.

And one last thing, how can you not be defending Piper's actions if you are defending the nazi angle to the story? Sorry, it doesn't work. The whole Nazi argument has been over for at least 5 years now. Are you ready to drop it yet? Or should we prolong it another 5?

Oh come on. The real reason you don't like the Gophers under the Don's reign is because of two NCAA titles, two Broadmoor trophies, and a Macnaughton Cup. :D

Wrong. It is because of boastful fans like you that my personal animosity is aimed at UMTC. Be gracious in victory and in defeat; it'll get you a lot farther in life. :D

In all honesty I expected the Gophers to play poorly against the Badgers in the third place game because they played the night before. I'm not whining about the fact that the Gophers play in the Friday night semi every year but the one downfall is if they lose that game there really isn't a lot left in the tank for the next afternoon.

And yet when any other team has to play a day game after a night game, you pass off the short turnaround as an excuse. Can't have it both ways. Pick one.

Perhaps bad wording on my part there. I should have added "their final year." Truth be told, it didn't pan out their final year. They did flourish. I don't doubt they'd have no regrets in suiting up for the Gophers. Especially Ryan. UND didn't do a very good job with Grant and families tend to stick together.

As for Zach Parise and Bochenski's careers, I never said careers. I meant time as collegians, and, according to the Gopher faithful, national championships ARE what count as successful. We hear about that every time the Vanek vs Parise argument comes up. Do I think RPot and Irman were poor players? NOpe. Do I think Bo and ZPar were bad players? Nope. Did it work out NC wise? Nope on all counts. But think about it, when you go back to GPL and ask "How good was Zach Parise compared to Ryan Potulny and Thomas Vanek" What answers do you think you'd get? I'd expect "He was alright, maybe better than Potulny, but Vanek has 2 NCs and ZPar has none, so that's 2-0 Gophers" Please surely admit that that would be the case.

And one last thing, how can you not be defending Piper's actions if you are defending the nazi angle to the story? Sorry, it doesn't work. The whole Nazi argument has been over for at least 5 years now. Are you ready to drop it yet? Or should we prolong it another 5?

Irmen, not Irman. And I think you are supposed to capitalize "nazi" but I am not sure (is it an adjective or a noun?)

And yes, I do think that third place games are meaningless unless you're on the bubble for the NCAA's. There's a reason the NCAA dropped the third place game years ago in hockey and in basketball. It's a pointless game where your only concern should be to get out of it without any serious injuries.

halarious.... :D:D friken joke..................uhhhhh, they lost because they took the same attitude as their dumb azz coach for saying what he says and that led straight to being eliminated in g-forks.instead they lay down like a 2 dollar hooker in front of 12-15 thousand of their own faithful...now thats giving your fans their moneys worth and really paying the fans back for their loyaty to the program..it was a pathetic effort and you know it so just admit it for gods sake, its ok, you wont be dropped from the gophs fan base if you critisize just a little bit, grow a pair would ya.........

Potulny and Irmen had success against the Sioux at the Ralph, no one would deny that. But, the biggest upset EVER in the history of college hockey, in your own "hometown" has to be somewhat humbling especially since it's your last collegiate game ever. Why else would they be standing outside the locker room crying ? Maybe they were tears of joy. In the end, after all the antics (jersey popping, excessive celebrations, ect.) I would say that the fans at the Ralph finally got the last laugh. But hey, tell the story however you like, I was there.

I was there as well and the numerous fans by the Goofer tunnel doing the jersey pop to Irmen as he skated off the ice with his tail between his legs was priceless. No doubt the Sioux fans got the last laugh!!

I was there as well and the numerous fans by the Goofer tunnel doing the jersey pop to Irmen as he skated off the ice with his tail between his legs was priceless. No doubt the Sioux fans got the last laugh!!

Some friends of mine were in Milwaukee and sitting near the Sioux tunnel doing the jersey pop to Chorney as he skated off the ice with his tail between his legs, it was priceless. :D

This one I can agree with you on. A national title isn't the only reason that a student-athlete makes a school choice nor is it the measurement of one players success.

Some friends of mine were in Milwaukee and sitting near the Sioux tunnel doing the jersey pop to Chorney as he skated off the ice with his tail between his legs, it was priceless. :D

Hockey1,I assume based on the above post you are a gopher fan. And also based on your above post you are an idiot! You are comparing the Irem coming off the ice after losing to Holy Cross in what is the most humiliating loss in the NCAA hockey tournament's history and very well may be the most humiliating loss in NCAA hockey history with the Sioux losing to Boston College in the frozen four in a one goal loss to a team that lost the championship game by one goal.

Again, I assume you are a gopher fan, but either way I know for a fact you are an IDIOT!

And that is where you are so mistaken. The only meaningless third place game is the one that they used to have for the Frozen Four. Before the end of the season, every game is important. Much of sports is mental toughness. After losing to St. Cloud, the absolutely last thing that the Gophers needed was to have a poor showing against Wisconsin. They didn't need to win, but they needed a good effort to clear that loss out of their minds. Instead, they failed to show up and went into the playoffs on a two game losing streak. A great sports cliche is you can't turn it on and off at a whim. The Gophers finished the Final Five flat, and it carried over to the Holy Cross game. Every time you have a poor performance and/or lose a game you should win, it creates a little doubt in your mind. I used to have the utmost respect for Lucia when he was at Colorado College and when he came to Minnesota. After his comments about the Final Five third place game, I no longer have that level of respect. As a previous poster mentioned, you have to have pride. It appears to me that Lucia and the team did not have that pride in playing for the Gophers.

I said the Gophers were in trouble after that 3rd place game, and it came to be true. This isn't an "I told you so" post. It simply illustrates that everyone associated with the Gopher team should have been highly concerned going into the regional tournament.

Moral: All games and pride in yourself and your program count - day in and day out.

Hockey1,I assume based on the above post you are a gopher fan. And also based on your above post you are an idiot! You are comparing the Irem coming off the ice after losing to Holy Cross in what is the most humiliating loss in the NCAA hockey tournament's history and very well may be the most humiliating loss in NCAA hockey history with the Sioux losing to Boston College in the frozen four in a one goal loss to a team that lost the championship game by one goal.

Again, I assume you are a gopher fan, but either way I know for a fact you are an IDIOT!

Fs1,

Where in my post did I compare the Gopher loss to Holy cross to the Sioux loss to BC?. What I was comparing was the Sioux fans mocking Irmen with a Jersey pop just like the Fans in Milwaukee mocking Chorney with a Jersey pop. What Irmen and Chorney did was classless and they both payed for it. By the way it's nice to see you respond by calling me an idiot, :D next time don't assume before you respond.

Moderator Note -- Discussion of "Engelstad Hitler birthday parties" moved to a new thread. It's sometimes hard to strictly classify a post as to which thread it belongs; sorry for any discontinuities this may have caused.

Jim, you disappoint me. I thought that link would lead to a different website. :D:D

The same stuff was said in '04 and the Gophs played as well as they possibly could the following weekend at the regional. The Gophers lost to HC because they played undisciplined hockey and couldn't stay out of the box or convert on the PP. Briggs wasn't great, but when is he?

You can blame it all on the UW effort, but the truth is that game was just part of the fall.

The Gophers lost to HC because they played undisciplined hockey and couldn't stay out of the box or convert on the PP.

You can blame it all on the UW effort, but the truth is that game was just part of the fall.

May be a part of the explanation, sagard, but the gophs looked totally disinterested in the HC game (as they did in the third place game vs. Wisco). HC looked twice as fast at both forward and defense. Gophers appeared to be a very flat team with no interest. Perhaps they were looking ahead to the championship game.

Pre-tourney goph fans made a big deal out of Sioux fans overlooking Michigan. One wonders who overlooked whom?

At any rate the Badgers can thank the Gophers for a disinterested performance in the third place game, giving them an easy win and sending them on the the NCAA championship.

The same stuff was said in '04 and the Gophs played as well as they possibly could the following weekend at the regional. The Gophers lost to HC because they played undisciplined hockey and couldn't stay out of the box or convert on the PP. Briggs wasn't great, but when is he?

The college hockey season is always a roller coaster ride for all teams. Teams go up at some point of the season, and those same teams go down at some point of the season.

The 1st half of the season, Wisconsin was playing probably the best I have ever seen a college team play, then they went into their downhill slide, and hit bottom over in Mankato when they got destroyed by a very average Maverick's team. Then they started to go back up.

Remember too, that North Dakota never really got going as a team till about the last 5 weeks of the season. Till then it looked as though they wouldn't even qualify for the NCAA's. To their credit, they started playing a LOT better (especially defensively), and put themselves in a very good posistion.

The Gophers were the best team in the country in January & February, and had a great streak going. But they started going down the hill the last few weeks of the season, and there was no time to get going back up the hill. The schedule they played the last month of the season certainly didn't help either. After the Denver series, they pllyed all lower level teams the rest of the way till the Final Five. That's not really an excuse for the way they played, but have seen teams go thru this every year, just a matter of when the downhill slide starts.

And I don't really agree with people who say the Final Five is all the important. When Denver missed even making the Final Five in 2004, I think things worked out all right for them. Let's face it, this tournament is merely a money maker for the WCHA, the games for the most part are meaningless, unless a team is on the fence with the Pairwise.

Allowing for the fact you may not like Hockey1 or agree with this comments, is repeatedly calling another poster an idiot - even a lowly Gopher fan - now considered to be acceptable at this website?

Didnt realize the word idiot would offend so many people! Lighten up people , if he is an ----- and obviously doenst know it , I feel it is my duty to make him aware of it.

He wants to come here and after a post saying it was priceless to give the jersey pop to Irmen after the humiliating loss to Holy Cross, IN THE SAME BUILDING, WITH THE SAME FANS HE HAD DONE IT TO,( it was priceless)(no one would ever want ot come back to the "scene of the crime" and lay an egg like Irmen and his teamates did), and then hockey1 responds in kind with jersey poping Chorney at the frozen four after a hard fought loss to a top quality opponent, in a different arena, with different fans, and call it priceless ,well then you tell me what he is!

And in this case everything is personal

Didnt realize the word idiot would offend so many people! Lighten up people , if he is an ----- and obviously doenst know it , I feel it is my duty to make him aware of it.

And in this case everything is personal

1. You didn't hurt my feelings and I don't need to lighten up. This is a matter of what's right and wrong. I imagine there are rules associated with conduct in posting at this website. Repeatedly calling another a poster an idiot - deservedly so or not - probably doesn't fall within acceptable posting rules.

2. It wasn't personal until you called he/she an idiot.