SiouxSports.com Forum

The Roster As It Exists Today

The Sicatoka

I heard there is a 6'2" goaltender visiting here from Toronto. I know that is not alot of help but maybe some one who follows junior hockey better will have some info on who it could be.

Here he is!!!!!! Has given a BSU verbal for 07, The Clinton News dated April 26 say otherwise.

http://bozemanicedogs.com/team/roster/?id=2751

http://www.clintonnewsrecord.com/story.php?id=226931

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy sounds like he would be a great pickup for the Sioux, either this season if Parise leaves, or the following season if Parise stays.

did anyone notice the Fylling on the roster? I am assuming that is Quinn little bro or a cousin at least. I wonder what he is like?

This guy sounds like he would be a great pickup for the Sioux, either this season if Parise leaves, or the following season if Parise stays.

If he did verbal to BSU, then maybe we should move on this Bryce Christianson fellow. He's ranked on the last CSS rankings for goaltenders and he also has heavy interest from teams like Minnesota (whose interest in him baffles me unless they expect Frazee to go somewhere. They already have a replacement for Briggs after next year in Kangas or maybe they were intersted before Kangas committed).

Beau Christian is listed as a 2007 recruit. He's not on Heisenberg's 2006 listing. There are four goaltenders that interest me, but it turns out that only 1 (Christianson) is eligible for 2006.

The others include Christian, Bryan Hogan (Lincoln - USHL), and Chris Rawlings (Salmon Arm - BCHL).

• 3 weeks later...
The roster as of today:

F (11): Oshie, Toews, Kozek, Duncan, Kaip, Watkins, Porter, Fabian, Foyt, Martens, Miller

D (7): Bina, Radke, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Finley, Alexander

G (3): Parise, Lamoureux, Walski

That's 21 on today's roster. The folks I see projected for this fall are:

F: Darcy Zajac, Chay Genoway, Chris VandeVelde.

That's 24 (and only 14 forwards). Most times fall camp has a 26 or 27 man roster with 15 forwards, 8 (or 9) defense, and 3 goalies.

Toss in that there are a ton of open questions right now:

- Robbie Bina: A clean bill of health is one thing. Game ready is another. I don't question his abilities; I worry about how he'll respond to the first full-speed game hit. He's been through a lot.

- Eric Fabian: Six month recovery for a major knee injury isn't that long. If anyone is mentally tough enough to do the physical work required however, it is Eric Fabian.

- Will the NHL Draft shorten depth at forward further? ;)

- And what of this continual buzz of Jordan Parise considering signing?

Yes, UND has signed letters of intent from Jake Marto and Derrick LaPoint, but defense isn't the issue this fall from what I see. (I suspect it will be in fall of 2007 however.) With that in mind, letting those two develop in the USHL in 2006-2007 would make good sense.

Michael Forney has little (if any) junior experience. Plus, his post-HS season hockey this spring was cut short by injuries. He's a big question mark right now (health-wise). Will he be ready for a WCHA season this fall or would the USHL be better for him also?

Then there's Evan Trupp. When I first heard of him I thought "Another smallish forward?" With Duncan and Spirko already in that smallish playmaker mold in place it didn't make sense. With Sparky not returning, now I wonder if the plan to have Trupp in the BCHL in 2006 (after a solid rookie BCHL season in 2005) may have changed.

Still, even under my thoughts (Trupp comes now), that's only 25. Sure you have Bina and Genoway who can play either forward or defense on gameday, but you don't have the numbers to run a full practice under the systems Hakstol has used.

The conversation about goaltender could get sticky. Let's let that play itself out. Then again, I guess that's the beauty of having two guys who'd be #1 goalies on 90% of NCAA squads.

When I look and think about all of that I'm wondering what the rest of the plan over the summer is for Hak and Staff:

- Is my speculation of Trupp coming now that Sparky left accurate?

- Do they have a plan in case Parise signs and jumps?

- Are they looking at inviting a forward (or two even?) to walk on or will they bring Forney now?

Tune in again tomorrow for "As the Roster Turns".

Welcome to "As the Roster Turns" for Wednesday, May 31. :lol:

In another thread "Clayton Hoyt" provided a link saying Michael Forney is coming in this fall.

That makes the roster 25. It was 27 last season (if you include Robbie Bina who sat out the entire year).

The last interview I heard (read?) it was projected that Genoway would play defense. That would mean we're still at 14 Fs (with 8D and 3G). I still suspect that there's room for another forward.

Tune in again tomorrow for "As the Roster Turns".

http://www.gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/

The Herald's blog chimes in with a well thought out view of the roster. Their lines:

Ryan Duncan--Jonathan Toews--Michael Forney

Andrew Kozek--T.J. Oshie--Chris Porter

Erik Fabian--Rylan Kaip--Matt Watkins

Chris VandeVelde--Darcy Zajac--Brad Miller

Depth: Ryan Martens, Scott Foyt

Brian Lee--Taylor Chorney

Joe Finley--Kyle Radke

Zach Jones--Robbie Bina/Chay Genoway

Depth: Todd Alexander

The Herald's blog chimes in with a well thought out view of the roster. Their lines:

Joe Finley--Kyle Radke

Joe Finley--Kyle Radke

How can you put Oshie on the second line when he was arguably the Rookie of the Year. Put either him or Toews at wing and make a super line.

If I'm not mistaking, Oshie started the season on the 4th line and had to pay his dues.

How can you put Oshie on the second line when he was arguably the Rookie of the Year. Put either him or Toews at wing and make a super line.

There's a fair argument either way on the question of whether Oshie and Toews should be on the same line or split up; I'm not sure myself. However, it's safe to say that any line with Oshie on it won't be the "second" line.

As I've said before, though, I hope this is an argument we get to have when Fall rolls around.

There's a fair argument either way on the question of whether Oshie and Toews should be on the same line or split up; I'm not sure myself. However, it's safe to say that any line with Oshie on it won't be the "second" line.

As I've said before, though, I hope this is an argument we get to have when Fall rolls around.

I think that keeping them split would provide a more balanced offense, and at the same time force opposing teams to have to focus on two great lines, instead of just singling out one 'super' line to defend against.

Agreed, hopefully this is something that we will have to debate about in the fall, as both Oshie and Toews could bolt. We shall see.

If I'm not mistaking, Oshie started the season on the 4th line and had to pay his dues.

You probably know more hockey than I, so take this for what it is worth. Both Toews and Oshie can play center, correct? I remember a few years ago when the Sioux had few quality centermen and the whole team struggled. Splitting up these two might be a way to generate a couple of very good scoring lines. As far as I'm concerned it would be hard to qualify one as being better than the other only by way of line #. Heck, there are times the checking line starts a home game. Does that mean they are the best?

It does all come down to how kids perform next Sept and early October. Forney may or may not show he's ready to play on a top scoring line in reality.

you can make another MONEY (i know we would have to come up with another name) line with oshie and toews plus whoever which would be pretty damn fun to watch. on the other hand if they are apart it would just provide a bit more balance...i love our defense going into this year, all big time players with a year of experience under their belts. i may like to see zach (dont fk with me) jones with big joe (paul bunyan) finley together on the 2nd pairing and see radke with bina or genoway for the 3rd pairing...can't friken wait and very excited to see forney, zajac and vande velde play at the ralph. 3 big forwards who all with provide something different but in my opinion will all put up decent numbers...

I heard from a reliable source that Todd Alexander is transferring to, or at least thinking about it, St. Thomas due to the lack of playing time he's getting up here. Might cause our lines/depth to shuffle even more.

probably a good decsion on his part if he wants a lot more playing time. best of luck if so...........