SiouxSports.com Forum

The Roster As It Exists Today

The Sicatoka

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Parise couldn't sign anywhere until after the draft? That could explain why the herald article quoted him as saying that things could change, but he is planning to stay. I could be wrong though.

From Brad Schlossman's Blog...

Parise has maintained the same thing since the season ended -- that he plans on coming back, but that it's possible that things could change. Even if he knows he's going to sign, this is the smart thing for Parise to do. Just in case something falls through, he doesn't want to forfeit his NCAA eligibility. Look for him to sign sometime next month, though. If a team signs him before July 1, they will be fined as part of the new NHL Collective Bargaining Agreement, I'm told.

Since the Parise thread is closed, I will put this here.

This is from "Quick Facts" from The Minnesota Hockey Journal.

Rumors of Parise Departure Premature:

However, according to his father JP Parise, "At this time, there has not been any contact or negotiation with any (NHL) team." Parise pointed out, correctly, that CBA terms dictate that no North American free agents (Parise is undrafted) can be signed prior to the July 1st deadline.

"If something that would make financial sense came Jordan

Going back to the post that started this thread, what jumps out:

- Genoway is playing D --> 8 defensemen.

- Forney is coming now --> 14th forward. Michael, I hope you're ready for the WCHA. :silly:

- Trupp is still a 2007 recruit.

- Hunter Bishop is reported to be coming this fall --> 15th forward, just as speculated.

On other topics, the question was, "what if Parise leaves?"

The answer is Anthony Grieco.

Tune in again tomorrow for "As the Roster Turns".

From the Minnesota Hockey Journel:

Rumors of Parise Departure Premature:

There has been some recent speculation that Jordan Parise has signed or will sign with an NHL team and forego his final eligibility with North Dakota. However, according to his father JP Parise, "At this time, there has not been any contact or negotiation with any (NHL) team." Parise pointed out, correctly, that CBA terms dictate that no North American free agents (Parise is undrafted) can be signed prior to the July 1st deadline. However, Jordan may indeed decide to depart the Sioux. "If something that would make financial sense came Jordan

Going back to the post that started this thread, what jumps out:

- Genoway is playing D --> 8 defensemen.

- Forney is coming now --> 14th forward. Michael, I hope you're ready for the WCHA. :lol:

- Trupp is still a 2007 recruit.

- Hunter Bishop is reported to be coming this fall --> 15th forward, just as speculated.

On other topics, the question was, "what if Parise leaves?"

The answer is Anthony Grieco.

Tune in again tomorrow for "As the Roster Turns".

But...what if Toews leaves? :silly:

Sorry Folks he is gone.

Link? :lol::silly:

And I wouldn't be surprised if Heisenberg posted his info based upon that earlier USHR report (that, according to JP Parise, was premature).

We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

I think that Toews' decision has more of a bearing on next year's Sioux team.

But I would love to see both of them come back for another run at the title.

It would probably be the difference in being able to make the tourney again and not making it. This team cannot afford to lose Toews.

The word dimonds in the rough would probably apply, you would have to hope that Oshie can carry the whole team and one of the sophs comes through really good and the defense remains really rock solid.

The word dimonds in the rough would probably apply, you would have to hope that Oshie can carry the whole team and one of the sophs comes through really good and the defense remains really rock solid.

There is a limit to how many top end guys you can lose and expect their roles to be filled by lesser players. Yes, you may have some diamonds in the rough that have better seasons than expected. We need Toews to balance things out so opposing teams cannot focus all their attention on one player (Oshie). Having both of them would allow us to have two balanced lines as I would expect they would play on seperate lines.

A (heaven forbid) "no Toews" scenario would mean UND'd become a team dependent on team defense (all those top-end defensemen) and power play opportunities.

If Toews is in the fold, you split he and Oshie onto two different lines and make the other teams decide which one to deal with with their checking line. You become more explosive offensively, less special teams play dependent, with Toews on the roster (while still playing tight team defense).

A (heaven forbid) "no Toews" scenario would mean UND'd become a team dependent on team defense (all those top-end defensemen) and power play opportunities.

If Toews is in the fold, you split he and Oshie onto two different lines and make the other teams decide which one to deal with with their checking line. You become more explosive offensively, less special teams play dependent, with Toews on the roster (while still playing tight team defense).

I think Sica has the right level of thinking, so even if Toews isn't here, why not have some confidence in Duncan, Kozek and Watkins these guys aren't bad. Also, I think Rylan Kaip is going to turn it on this season and Fabian should be a force for this next season. I don't know I am not going to sell the boys short before the puck even drops. Some of the new kids look pretty good on paper too. Fourney could prove to be pretty good as well as Vanderveld.

I'm don't think it's selling a player short to have a realistic view of their capabilities. There are a variety of roles on a team and a player can excel at their role without having to score a ton.

I don't see Watkins or Kaip or Fabian scoring prolifically, but there value high in other areas. But someone has to put the puck in the net. I could probably say the same for Porter. I do agree with you on Kozek. He's a guy with scoring potential and needs to realize a fair amount of that potential this coming year.

CSTV article on Toews and the draft:

http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/stories/062006aae.html

Before moving on to play for the team that drafts him, though, there's another season at North Dakota to think about, one where he'll take on an even greater role as the Sioux chase a repeat title in the WCHA, a third straight Frozen Four berth and the team's first NCAA title since 2000.

"Now," Hakstol said, "instead of Jonathan being the young guys, who had to get his feet under him at this level, we're now going to look him as one of our key leaders. Even though he's going to be an 18-year old sophomore, he's going to be a guy that's going to shoulder a lot of responsibility for us, and a leader. It's going to be a great part of his development this year, learning to be a leader at this level."

I think Sica has the right level of thinking, so even if Toews isn't here, why not have some confidence in Duncan, Kozek and Watkins these guys aren't bad. Also, I think Rylan Kaip is going to turn it on this season and Fabian should be a force for this next season. I don't know I am not going to sell the boys short before the puck even drops. Some of the new kids look pretty good on paper too. Fourney could prove to be pretty good as well as Vanderveld.

Haha. Vanderveld. That makes me laugh. Just so ya know, it's VandeVelde. I agree with quite a lot of your post except the part you say "I think Rylan Kaip is going to turn it on this season". I don't know about that. I'm not going to sell him short, but I just don't see a ton of offensive skill from him. I DO however, see a ton of talent as far as checking line center. He is VERY good at that.

Haha. Vanderveld. That makes me laugh. Just so ya know, it's VandeVelde. I agree with quite a lot of your post except the part you say "I think Rylan Kaip is going to turn it on this season". I don't know about that. I'm not going to sell him short, but I just don't see a ton of offensive skill from him. I DO however, see a ton of talent as far as checking line center. He is VERY good at that.

I think it depends upon your definition of "turn it on." I believe Kaip is going to "turn it on" this year, but my definition is different than yours. Will Kaip lead the team in any offensive category? No. Will he be in the top 5? No. Will his numbers increase dramatically this year offensively? Yes. I hope for him to end the year in the 6-10 goal range and about 10-20 assists. Now, I don't expect him to do anything but his role as assigned by the coach, but if there is a goal offensively for Kaip to shoot for, it's those numbers. I believe they are realistic. Also, Kaip needs to work on faceoffs. Fabian and Watkins aren't centers and we definitely need a good checking center. Defensively, Kaip only has one thing to work on/maintain: discipline. He's a physical hard nosed player who scraps. He worked hard last year (especially the second half). He's going to be called for his share of penalties, but if he can keep that to a minimum, he'll be BETTER (yes, I said it) than Prpich, though he may not necessarily get as "under the skin" of opponents as Prpich did.

• 1 month later...
The roster as of today:

F (11): Oshie, Toews, Kozek, Duncan, Kaip, Watkins, Porter, Fabian, Foyt, Martens, Miller

D (7): Bina, Radke, Chorney, Jones, Lee, Finley, Alexander

G (3): Parise, Lamoureux, Walski

That's 21 on today's roster. The folks I see projected for this fall are:

F: Darcy Zajac, Chay Genoway, Chris VandeVelde.

That's 24 (and only 14 forwards). Most times fall camp has a 26 or 27 man roster with 15 forwards, 8 (or 9) defense, and 3 goalies.

- Robbie Bina: A clean bill of health is one thing. Game ready is another. I don't question his abilities; I worry about how he'll respond to the first full-speed game hit. He's been through a lot.

- Eric Fabian: Six month recovery for a major knee injury isn't that long. If anyone is mentally tough enough to do the physical work required however, it is Eric Fabian.

Back to the original post: The latest and possibly final Roster looks like this:

Forwards:

Oshie

Toews

Duncan

Kozek

Watkins

Kaip

Porter

Fabian

Miller

Vandevelde

Forney

Zajac

Foyt

Martens

Bishop

Defense

Lee

Chorney

Jones

Finley

Radke

Bina

Genoway

Alexander???

Goaltenders

Lamoureux

Grieco

Walski

Not too shabby... If everyone had returned this could have been one of the best college hockey teams ever. Oh well, this team will still compete for #8.

LaPoint is an 07, and move Genoway down from the forwards to the defense and you have it.

Agreed. Even though Genoway is a 1 for 1 replacement for Lee Marvin (Genoway can play both Forward and Defense, with the added bonus of being able to play center), if we see Genoway at all, it will more than likely be as a defenseman.