SiouxSports.com Forum

The Roster As It Exists Today

The Sicatoka

I think it makes the most sense to split up Toews and Oshie. Both can excel as natural centermen. There won't be a "1st" or "2nd" line, just two great scoring lines. This year, there was no first or second line, we all know that. And remember how fun it was to watch an unbelieveable scoring line go out and have a great shift, followed by the other unbelievable scoring line going out and putting one in the net. IMO Toews and Oshie on the same line = us relying on one line. That is not good.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can make another MONEY (i know we would have to come up with another name) line with oshie and toews plus whoever which would be pretty damn fun to watch. on the other hand if they are apart it would just provide a bit more balance...i love our defense going into this year, all big time players with a year of experience under their belts. i may like to see zach (dont fk with me) jones with big joe (paul bunyan) finley together on the 2nd pairing and see radke with bina or genoway for the 3rd pairing...can't friken wait and very excited to see forney, zajac and vande velde play at the ralph. 3 big forwards who all with provide something different but in my opinion will all put up decent numbers...

We do need another word for "MONEY" as that term was mainly used as a somewhat chiding fashion towards Bochenski and his previous criminal record.

The defense looks really good, but I'll disagree on your pairing ideas. Berry (if I am not mistaken, he's in charge of the defensive pairings) likes to pair defensemen on a myriad of points but mainly sticks to one offensive minded defenseman with a defensive defenseman. Here's my thoughts:

Defensive Defensemen: Joe Finley, Zach Jones, Taylor Chorney*

Offensive Defensemen: Brian Lee, Robbie Bina, Kyle Radke

Unknown: Chay Genoway

Note: *- Taylor does have an offensive upside, but last season his defensive skills far outshone his offensive ones, hence the designation.

I listed Chay as an unknown because I don't know how his game will translate to the DI level and what his role on the team will be (including whether or not he'll play forward or defense)

So, using this logic, it would make no sense to pair up Jones and Finley unless you are talking special teams (specifically penalty kill).

good points.....i think chorney is going to be unbelievable but the only negative right now is everytime the kid took a shot he missed the net by at least 3 or 4 feet ;):lol: i'm sure he will work on that for this coming year :D also joe finley is going to kick some major azz this year so keep ya head as tupac shakur would say.............

This guy sounds like he would be a great pickup for the Sioux, either this season if Parise leaves, or the following season if Parise stays.

Parise is gone. We must except that.

I am having a hard time excepting it but Denial is the first step to recovery.

I heard from a reliable source that Todd Alexander is transferring to, or at least thinking about it, St. Thomas due to the lack of playing time he's getting up here. Might cause our lines/depth to shuffle even more.

Hey - how come nobody's demaning a link? Where's the link? Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:;)

I'll obviously get ripped for this but whatever. Forney, Porter, and Kozek on the top two lines isn't exactly going to strike fear into any opponents. Oshie is one of the best forwards in the country, so you would think that he would get a chance to play with better linemates than Porter and Kozek. These two top lines don't compare with last years IMO.

I was just wondering if there are any Sioux fans who see what I see when I look at this group of forwards. The top end talent is there with Oshie, Toews, and Duncan but after that it seems like there is a major drop off. Last year the Sioux had six forwards on the top two lines who could score consistently and this year it seems like that numkber is down to three unless a frosh has a great scoring year, which with this group I don't think is very likely. There is definitely no Oshie or Toews and probably not even a Duncan in this class.

It's a good thing the Sioux have a great group of D-men because I don't see this team scoring like past Sioux teams.

I think it is pretty plain to see that next season's Sioux team is going to be hard pressed to crack double digits in wins. There is no scoring (when Oshie and Towes leave); the still-young d-corps will awaken from their dream season last year and play like the teenagers they really are; and JPar's departure will ensure a 8+ GAA. Looks like it'll be a long, long winter for us. :ohmy:

I'll obviously get ripped for this but whatever. Forney, Porter, and Kozek on the top two lines isn't exactly going to strike fear into any opponents. Oshie is one of the best forwards in the country, so you would think that he would get a chance to play with better linemates than Porter and Kozek. These two top lines don't compare with last years IMO.

I was just wondering if there are any Sioux fans who see what I see when I look at this group of forwards. The top end talent is there with Oshie, Toews, and Duncan but after that it seems like there is a major drop off. Last year the Sioux had six forwards on the top two lines who could score consistently and this year it seems like that numkber is down to three unless a frosh has a great scoring year, which with this group I don't think is very likely. There is definitely no Oshie or Toews and probably not even a Duncan in this class.

It's a good thing the Sioux have a great group of D-men because I don't see this team scoring like past Sioux teams.

I agree that this Sioux team will probably not score like the past couple but I think there's enough ability for the team to be effective. Kozek has the potential to surprise you this coming year.

I agree that this Sioux team will probably not score like the past couple but I think there's enough ability for the team to be effective. Kozek has the potential to surprise you this coming year.

Kozek was very highly regarded so maybe he'll breakout with 15-20 goals and I've heard sioux fans say they think Porter has the ability to step up his scoring. If those things happen then the top two lines look pretty good, but certainly not as good as last years top two lines.

Kozek was very highly regarded so maybe he'll breakout with 15-20 goals and I've heard sioux fans say they think Porter has the ability to step up his scoring. If those things happen then the top two lines look pretty good, but certainly not as good as last years top two lines.

Poor Bucky, had one of those wishful dreams last night did you. Was it too much cheap pizza or beer before bedtime. Regardless of what you think of the remaining players, that young Sioux D will move the puck much better this season and you will see plenty of goals from the blueline for starters. Pick any returning forward you would like but I would bet that Duncan alone will double his goal total next season The good news for the rest of the WCHA is that Gopher goaltending will be as porous as ever. Next valid topic please.

Poor Bucky, had one of this wishful dreams last night did you. Was it too much cheap pizza or beer before bedtime. Regardless of what you think of the remaining players, that young Sioux D will move the puck much better this season and you will see plenty of goals from the blueline for starters. Pick any returning forward you would like but I would bet that Duncan alone will double his goal total next season The good news for the rest of the WCHA is that Gopher goaltending will be as porous as ever. Next valid topic please.

I expected a response like this. I was just giving my honest opinion of the Sioux's top two lines. I don't think they are nearly as talented as last year and I think most Sioux fans would agree. You can't replace Stafford, Zajac, and Spirko with Forney, Porter, and Kozek on the top two lines and make the argument that you're just as strong up front. That's completely unrealistic. And don't count out the Gophers goaltending just yet. Frazee is easily one of the most talented goalies in the nation, every scout agrees with that. Statistically he had a good freshman season and he could improve drastically as a sophomore.

And I'll take your bet in a heartbeat. No way will Duncan get 32 goals next season.

I expected a response like this. I was just giving my honest opinion of the Sioux's top two lines. I don't think they are nearly as talented as last year and I think most Sioux fans would agree. You can't replace Stafford, Zajac, and Spirko with Forney, Porter, and Kozek on the top two lines and make the argument that you're just as strong up front. That's completely unrealistic. And don't count out the Gophers goaltending just yet. Frazee is easily one of the most talented goalies in the nation, every scout agrees with that. Statistically he had a good freshman season and he could improve drastically as a sophomore.

And I'll take your bet in a heartbeat. No way will Duncan get 32 goals next season.

:ohmy: yeah, and scouts say if frazee keeps eating and eating then he will just clog up the net without even moving and never give up a goal his whole career, he and briggs will do great during the regular season then briggs will show is true colors as frazee will either have quit the team by them or got kicked off the team.....

Ok, irrational thoughts aside, I will half disagree with buckysieve on a few points:

1. Don't assume that most Sioux fans will do anything. You are a Gopher fan. Last time I checked, Gopher fans don't speak for most anything Sioux-related. I don't like anyone lumping all of us into a pile and labelling us something. I also don't like people assuming that, since you feel your perspective is more objective than another person's, that other people will agree with you. What you said may make sense to some, but it is still an opinion.

2. I disagree with the term "major" in the dropoff part of your post. No, we won't be replacing Zajac, Stafford, and Spirko with players of their caliber. However, Forney is, at worst, a second round draft pick. Kozek was a second round draft pick. The scouts opinions on them spoke of scoring among other things. No, I don't expect Kozek to score as much as Stafford did. And yes, I do think there is a dropoff in offense after one and a half lines, but not a major dropoff.

3. Frazee is a talented goaltender. However, can he be a disciplined goaltender? Isaac Reichmuth was a good goaltender his first two years at UMD but then he dropped off like a stone in a deep lake. Like Isaac, there are rumors flying around about his attitude off the ice. And, like Lamoreaux, it seems as though Frazee hasn't earned the confidence of his team in game situations against top tier teams. Is Frazee a poor goaltender? No. I trust New Jersey wasn't smoking something when they drafted him in the third round. Most goaltenders, if they get drafted at all, get drafted in the 5th round or later.

I don't think Kozek and Forney are going to be as bad as you, and some others, are projecting as replacements. Kozek plays a more physical game than any of the players he'll be replacing on the top two lines (Stafford, Spirko, and Zajac were great forecheckers, but didn't really play the body much). And if there is much harm at all that is right off the bat, it will be in the forechecking department especially among forewards on the PK unit.

Let's not forget that other than a few games, the 3rd period collapse to Denver and the BC loss being the most disappointing, UND rarely gave up more than 2 goals in any particular game after the lopsided loss to Minnesota in January. Obviously, if they can play that kind of defense, they will be in most games and should have enough scoring punch to win a lot of games. We were constantly reminded by gopher fans how much better their freshmen defensmen would be from year one to year two, I would expect the same, if not more from our defensemen, especially because of their incredible youth. Not many, in fact no, 25-year old Canadians back at defense to fill the experience gap. Expect their confidence will be very high after the late-season run, and the fact that they will be counted on as leaders, instead of taking the passive role as most freshmen.

3. Frazee is a talented goaltender. However, can he be a disciplined goaltender? Isaac Reichmuth was a good goaltender his first two years at UMD but then he dropped off like a stone in a deep lake. Like Isaac, there are rumors flying around about his attitude off the ice. And, like Lamoreaux, it seems as though Frazee hasn't earned the confidence of his team in game situations against top tier teams. Is Frazee a poor goaltender? No. I trust New Jersey wasn't smoking something when they drafted him in the third round. Most goaltenders, if they get drafted at all, get drafted in the 5th round or later.

I believe he was actually drafted early in the second round. I'm not banking on Frazee being awesome next year by any means. I don't trust him yet, on the ice or off. But the talent is there, it's just a matter of him getting his head screwed on straight. Hopefully he learned a lot in his freshmen season. He does have the talent to be one of the nations best goalies, that's all I'm saying. Whether or not that happens is another story.

Parise is gone. We must except that.

I am having a hard time excepting it but Denial is the first step to recovery.

what makes you think that parise is good enough for NHL?? hes not drafted...so that makes it hard enough. the only way is if he went some "pro" route other than the nhl. but in my opinion he isnt good enough to play at a higher level... david mckee was a non drafted pro signee, and that is rare, especially for a goalie(except in case because he was the glue that held cornell together) and take all this the wrong way, i think parise is great, but like i said i dont think hes nhl quality so why give up UND for something lesser in competition? the problem is the people on this site that keep looking at the RUMORS too much...here's another rumor for you...oj simpson is innocent and elvis is still alive...how about we start believing those too?? i am just annoyed with all of this, if all the rumors were true we would be losing lee, chorney, parise, toews, oshie... and this would make for nine total and all possible at either nhl or some other pro league(for parise), but highly unlikely...in fact i doubt if UND loses anybody else besides maybe to a transfer.

Sioux, I am not sure who you are but will guess that you arent an nhl scout, so your opinion on whether Parise is good enough to play at a higher level means NOTHING. At least 4 teams think he is worth signing, but hey what do they know? Dont wait by the phone,they arent going to call for your opinion. You ask why give up UND for something of lesser competition? He has at most 1 year left at UND,and the other option is not by any means lesser competion, and just happens to be a life long dream of his. Would you give up a chance to follow your dreams for one more year on your college team. There is no guarantee the dream will come knocking again, most would take it when they get the chance.

As far as rumors,some things arent rumors,he is leaving after july 1st and the new goalie(who at this point shall remain nameless) is coming in,they are not rumors they are done deals just waiting for time to pass. Comparing them to OJ and Elvis,come on,step into the real world,funny you didnt mention chicken little and the sky falling!

As far as the other guys leaving, they could happen also if the right situations play out. That doenst mean they are rumors. They are all high draft picks and in the new nhl all capable of playing in the league, maybe not right away, but not to far off. For an example with Lee, with Ottawa's top 2 defefnseman being free agents and possibly leaving,if they left Ottawa this offseason signing with another team,there would be a good chance Lee would be signed to fill the organizations depth at defense. They very well might want him in their system getting prepared and ready for the next step to the nhl. Right now the main threat of leaving is Toews. It is a very real possibility. Chicago is on record as saying they will sign whoever they pick in the 1st round fo the draft,and just cause other teams havent made if public doenst mean they arent thinking the same thing.

Do any of us like it or want it, of course not. But that doesnt make it any different. With the level of players we get at UND, it is always a real possibility not just as you say RUMORS.

NO hard feelings,and by the way ,the sky isnt falling.

A few things here. Parise=gone, like it or not I believe it's going to happen. Toews=?, don't really know. Oshie=here for at least one more year, and by the grace of God, maybe three(but don't hold your breath on that). Defensive-wise, no one is ready to make the jump until after next season, maybe.

david mckee was a non drafted pro signee, and that is rare, especially for a goalie(except in case because he was the glue that held cornell together) and take all this the wrong way, i think parise is great, but like i said i dont think hes nhl quality so why give up UND for something lesser in competition? the problem is the people on this site that keep looking at the RUMORS too much...

I would almost count on Elliot to be gone by the end of the Summer, Badger fans are in denial if they think otherwise. The pros are short of goalies and need help now. I believe Parise is gone too, I have heard it from people who have talked to credible sources. The ECHL, AHL are not lesser level of competition, they are better than college hockey.

Dude, I was skeptical at first when I heard the rumors but, there are just too many people saying these things, coming from people that have talked to people in the Fighting Sioux camp.

NO hard feelings,and by the way ,the sky isnt falling.

FS1 is right: thanks for bringing it up. I was talking to someone the other day and he was all doom and gloom and the sky was falling because the number of players leaving. I told him we are better than the bottom 5 teams in the WCHA even with the loses we have had this past season. Look at it this way We are better than UAA, MSU-M, SCSU, MTU and probably UMD as it stands. All UND has to do is play with some consistancey and they are a top four team. If Toews stays I bet UND wins the league title next season. It's not like the recruits we have coming in are hacks either, we have a shut down defense and have some faith in the guys we have right now, I would feel under appreciated if I was a Sioux hockey player right now.

Kozek and Watkins could be break out players, Duncan no slouch. I honestly think he could score 25-30 goals and 50 points next season. Miller might be a stud we hardly saw him play last season and he was hurt the year before, that kid can fly. Look at the Sabres, they win with Roll players and having everyone chip in by doing their part. UND almost won the title in 2001 with one line according to the Pundits. I think UND has more talent than the 2001 team as we speak.

All this negativity sucks.

Edited by Goon

I predict....

This year's Sioux team will win more games than last years. What many people are forgetting is how much players typically improve from Freshman to Sophs. Particularly those that languish on 3rd and 4th lines because there is sooooooo much talent in front of them.

The Sioux WILL have 4 lines that match up or exceed just about ever team in the nation, including UMTC, the national champs, Eastern, and Western Powers.

I predict....

This year's Sioux team will win more games than last years. What many people are forgetting is how much players typically improve from Freshman to Sophs. Particularly those that languish on 3rd and 4th lines because there is sooooooo much talent in front of them.

The Sioux WILL have 4 lines that match up or exceed just about ever team in the nation, including UMTC, the national champs, Eastern, and Western Powers.

Can we hold you to that prediction?