SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I don't understand is why Kessel gets no love around here for what he does on the power play. The difference in the standings and really several of the games between the Gophers and the Sioux was power play effectiveness.

As good as Oshie and Kessel have been it seems that Toews and Stoa are playing every bit as well as either of them right now.

The Gophs do have, like all Lucia's teams, an incredibly effective powerplay. Again, not taking away from Kessel, because he has flourished on that unit.

I also agree that Toews and Stoa have stepped it up. The play between Toews and Stafford right now is pretty amazing. They are communicating, and Hak seems to have found the right compliments to the offense on that line. I am hoping that Zajac and Spirko step it up. Especially Travis, he is due for a big game.

The only thing I don't understand is why Kessel gets no love around here for what he does on the power play. The difference in the standings and really several of the games between the Gophers and the Sioux was power play effectiveness.

As good as Oshie and Kessel have been it seems that Toews and Stoa are playing every bit as well as either of them right now.

Very well said. Kessel is a huge part of that awesome PP, so yeah he does deserve some respect.

I happen to put more weight on goals, and especially game winning goals.

It seems to me that GWG is kind of a meaningless stat. Your team could score 7 straight goals, you score the 4th, and you get a nice GWG on your stat page because your team gives up 3 goals in the last 5 minutes of the game. Big deal. It doesn't seem all that often that the game is tied going into the 3rd, and a player from one team bears down enough to score the go-ahead goal that stands up as the winner.

Obviously, Kessel came in with more hype than Oshie. They have both played well. I happen to like Oshie better because he has 6 more goals than Kessel and he never takes a shift off.

Remember when Parise and Vanek came in together, Parise had more hype, but his numbers dropped off after WJ's over Christmas and Vanek kept it rolling and won the ROY. Could see similar thing here, though many voters will look at points over goals and still feed votes to Kessel.

I like Oshie in Sioux Green, and as good as Kessel is, he can keep the "M" on his chest. I don't miss him here!

Bottom line for me is that I don't think you can find a UND fan or fan from another team that can say anything bad about Oshie. Early in the year you heard plenty about Kessel from gopher fans, and all of it not good. Oshie has been the most consistent performer for the Sioux, I don't think you can often say that about a freshman, and I doubt the same would be said of Kessel. That said, Kessel will probably win it because of the year the gophers have had. To the victor belong the spoils, and I really don't have a big problem with that as long as a case can be made, and a case can be made either way.

I may be biased :lol: & I have only seen Kessel when he was here & I had to really concentrate on him to see how good he was.

Oshie to me stands out everytime on the ice & he is a STUD in his Checking & Hustle & seems to be be a Happy - Loves to Play the Game, kind of guy & I bet he gets Bigger & Stronger & Better & the way Toews has been playing recently, he is now no second best to anyone either :D & there is so much talent on this team - that is starting to Gel

I just hope these guys stick around long enough to win Back to Back to Back (to Back) ;) Championships :) & then we will all care less about kessel's rookie year

Again, I think we have a situation where there are 2 or 3 top candidates who have outdistanced themselves from their peers. Arguments can be made for those top couple on who should be the final choice. I'd love to see Oshie or even Toews win but there's no way to dispute that Kessel's points in conference are 50% greater than Oshie's based on 7NT's post. Points scored are a more objective measure than whether someone backchecks or plays "both ends" or not. And how many of us have watched Kessel of late to know how much worse he does than Oshie or Toews in that respect? How do you balance 10 more assists vs. a deficiency in his own end? Is he so bad that Oshie can make up for 10 assists? Or is Oshie so good in other aspects of the game that he could make up a 15 assists deficit? Does Kessel do anything that Oshie does not?

I'm not making the case that Kessel SHOULD win over Oshie, but if he does, I find it hard to be critical of the choice as well. He's had a very good season, and is a worthy candidate.

Like others have said, I don't know that we would trade our guys for Kessel, but that doesn't mean he's not a deserving player too.

The way Toews has been playing of late, and with another big weekend this past weekend he might currently be the best freshman in the WCHA, but it could be too late of a surge to make his case with the rest of the league.

The way Toews has been playing of late, and with another big weekend this past weekend he might currently be the best freshman in the WCHA, but it could be too late of a surge to make his case with the rest of the league.

IMO, Toews is the best freshman in the WCHA at this time. The key words in that sentence being the last three words. What remains to be seen is if Jonnie has found his groove in college, and will continue to play the way he is playing, or if he's simply peaking right now. I personally think it's the first of those two, but players fluctuate all the time. However, the great players in the game always find a way to be noticed, even if they aren't peaking at the moment. They find a way to contribute to the team's effort, even if it's not on the scoreboard. Of the three players (Toews, Oshie, and Kessel), I think Oshie has been the most consistent player throughout the season, but hasn't always been able to find the back of the next, or figure in on scoring (like a lot of other Sioux players). He works his butt off every shift, and that is something that every Sioux fan, and many other fans have noticed about him. With that being said, I still think Toews is the most talented of the three players, with Kessel right behind him.

IMO, Toews is the best freshman in the WCHA at this time. The key words in that sentence being the last three words. What remains to be seen is if Jonnie has found his groove in college, and will continue to play the way he is playing, or if he's simply peaking right now. I personally think it's the first of those two, but players fluctuate all the time. However, the great players in the game always find a way to be noticed, even if they aren't peaking at the moment. They find a way to contribute to the team's effort, even if it's not on the scoreboard. Of the three players (Toews, Oshie, and Kessel), I think Oshie has been the most consistent player throughout the season, but hasn't always been able to find the back of the next, or figure in on scoring (like a lot of other Sioux players). He works his butt off every shift, and that is something that every Sioux fan, and many other fans have noticed about him. With that being said, I still think Toews is the most talented of the three players, with Kessel right behind him.

and he still scored 20 goals and avg a point per game as a TRUE freshman

Typical of what? :lol: As if you haven't already been told a gazillion times, you are on a pro-UND message board. Don't be looking for objectivity. It isn't going to be here, or at GPL either, for that matter.

I think it is funny that Goofer fans are getting upset because the opposition doesn't give him the props. I feel that Oshie is just as good as Kessel, big deal. I think Kessel is a primma donna.

I may be biased :lol: & I have only seen Kessel when he was here & I had to really concentrate on him to see how good he was.

Oshie to me stands out everytime on the ice & he is a STUD in his Checking & Hustle & seems to be be a Happy - Loves to Play the Game, kind of guy & I bet he gets Bigger & Stronger & Better & the way Toews has been playing recently, he is now no second best to anyone either :D & there is so much talent on this team - that is starting to Gel

I just hope these guys stick around long enough to win Back to Back to Back (to Back) ;) Championships :) & then we will all care less about kessel's rookie year

Fetch from one lab owner to another I think your right. This past weekend I watched the Friday night game and Kessel was invisible and hardly stuck out. Actually the Goofer fourth line was the line that ws scoring some goals and making plays.

If the WCHA listens to what the NHL analysts and scouts are saying, Oshie is ROY and Toews is the runner-up but the same outfit that gives you outstanding referees will also give you their outstanding selections. I prefer to let the upcoming NHL draft support the reality of the situation.

Once again, Sioux-Habit hits the nail square on the head.

I guess that also means that Jack Skille (#7, 2005) > Brian Lee (#9, 2005) > TJ Oshie (#24, 2005).

I guess it also means that Blake Wheeler (#5, 2004) > Drew Stafford (#13, 2005) > Travis Zajac (#20, 2005).

Kessel leads all freshman in scoring and has been incredibly consistent throughout the year. He hasn't had any long droughts without points like many freshman do. Toews' second half surge is too little too late, although he is very impressive right now. Kessel was good from start to finish, slightly better than Oshie. My top three would go Kessel, Oshie, Toews.

The statements on this thread are ridiculous. Why is it that Sioux fans always think that any really hyped up freshman for the Gophs (Vanek, Kessel) are prima donnas who don't work hard and take shifts off and think of themselves before the team and the Sioux's freshman (Parise, Oshie, Toews) are hard working, two way players who never take a shift off? I can't stop laughing when reading these posts. It's a nice break in my day. When I want to hear complete cr@p during the day i come to ss.com, and at night i can listen to Sean Hannity for more complete cr@p.

Or maybe this is what has all the Sioux fans so bitter:

Thomas Vanek: 2003 WCHA ROTY, 2003 WCHA freshman leading scorer, 2003 WCHA Final Five MVP, 2003 NCAA West Regional MVP, 2003 NCAA Frozen Four MOP, 2003 NCAA Champion, 5-1 career NCAA tournament record.

meanwhile...

Zach Parise: 1-2 career NCAA tournament record (lone win against a vaunted Holy Cross squad), didn't even show up against Ferris State in NCAA's in 2003, and managed to never make it to a Frozen Four. But hey, he was a hard working, back checking, two-way player who never took a shift off! Ya got that going for you.

Yeah, that's what it means. Apparently you haven't watched the ON ICE performances of these players to even have a clue what Sioux-Habit meant. By the way were Stafford and Zajac drafted last year ?

nope

......and what amazes me is that you think with a name like siouxhater that anyone here would really give a $hit what you think. The proof is in the pudding. Oshie has outplayed kessel this year, like it or not it is a fact. But hey, how about phil gets rookie of the year and sits at home admiring it while the FIGHTING SIOUX (team), goes to the FF after knocking those pukes out of the regional. I'm sure Oshie and Toews would rather have a crack at a Title.

Apparently you haven't watched the ON ICE performances of these players....

The same applies to anyone dismissing Kessel as ROY. ;)

Oshie has outplayed kessel this year, like it or not it is a fact.

No, that is an opinion. However, I agree the previous poster should probably have chosen a better handle and could have been more diplomatic in expressing his disagreement with the Kessel-bashers. :lol: