SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

Sioux fans are very knowledgable about hockey. That's why it sounds like petty jealousy when 90% of what they say about Kessel is very negative.

The number of people here who consistently rip on Kessel is smaller than the number of fingers on my hand. And my guess is that they do it just to antagonize thin-skinned Gopher fans like you. Perhaps if you weren't so willing to take the bait hook, line and sinker every time, the negativity about Kessel would subside.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not the NHL scouts. Kessel will be drafted at least twenty spots ahead of where Oshie was taken last year. I wonder why that is. Could it be because his offensive skills are unmatched by any other 17 year old in the world? (including Toews)

ok. Now I have to respond. Suggesting that Kessel is the best 17 year old in the world is a real stretch. First of all, Kessel isn't 17 years old. He is 18, born in 1987, which means he has one more WJC that he can attend. IMO he is likely the 3rd best 1987 born forward or 18 year old in North America at this time, right behind a guy named Crosby and Gilbert Brule of the Vancouver Giants.

Only time will tell if Kessel is in the same league as Crosby and Ovechkin (who is or is approaching 20 years of age), but I am not going to hold my breath. The guy is smallish and doesn't look like he is going to get a whole lot bigger, he is relatively one dimensional, and he doesn't use his linemates effectively against better competition as witnessed during the WJC. The NHL guys study players tendencies for hours and hours. If you don't know how to use your teammates you will be dead in the water.

Kessel appears to see about 5 feet in front of him, because he is looking at the D-man's feet to see how he will be able to dangle it between his stick and skates instead of seeing the entire ice surface like Gretsky and know where everybody else is.

Both Crosby and Brule are shorter players with respect to NHL standards but they are not small. They have mass to them similar to St. Louis in Tampa which is what you need if you want to survive at that level and they know how to use their teammates. This is likely a result of playing against stiffer competition throughout their careers where bad habits, like holding on to the puck too long and not seeing your linemates as an option was punished.

The number of people here who consistently rip on Kessel is smaller than the number of fingers on my hand. And my guess is that they do it just to antagonize thin-skinned Gopher fans like you. Perhaps if you weren't so willing to take the bait hook, line and sinker every time, the negativity about Kessel would subside.

PCM can you keep it down please, you'll scare away the fishies. :lol:

OK, so it's my fault sioux fans rip Kessel because I keep responding to it? I don't agree with your logic but I'll try to restrain myself from responding anymore.

I just think if there's anything we can agree on it's that Oshie and Kessel are both great players and both programs are lucky to have them( as well as Wheeler, Stoa, Frazee, Toews, Duncan, Lee, Chorney, Jones etc.) The amount of good freshman on these two teams is amazing. I think UND has the slightly more talented group because the class is just so huge.

OK, so it's my fault sioux fans rip Kessel because I keep responding to it? I don't agree with your logic but I'll try to restrain myself from responding anymore.

No, I didn't say it was your fault. I was hoping that after going through this a dozen times, you'd figure out for yourself what was going on.

I just think if there's anything we can agree on it's that Oshie and Kessel are both great players and both programs are lucky to have them( as well as Wheeler, Stoa, Frazee, Toews, Duncan, Lee, Chorney, Jones etc.) The amount of good freshman on these two teams is amazing. I think UND has the slightly more talented group because the class is just so huge.

You forgot Finley and Kozek. :lol:

But otherwise, when you're right, you're right. I've got no argument with your main point. thumbup_wink.gif

Kessel appears to see about 5 feet in front of him, because he is looking at the D-man's feet to see how he will be able to dangle it between his stick and skates instead of seeing the entire ice surface like Gretsky and know where everybody else is.

Kessel see's the ice very well. He's got 30 assists for crying out loud. Did you see the pass he made to Harrington to score a goal against the Sioux at Mariucci in January? It was as good as it gets. And he had 11 assists at the WJT to lead the team. Ask Chris Bourque if he thinks Kessel sees the ice well, he set up all his goals in that tourney. I thought Kessel would be more of a goal scorer coming into the season but teams key on him so much that he's forced to make the alternative play, and it usually ends up being a great pass to a teammate.

Kessel see's the ice very well. He's got 30 assists for crying out loud. Did you see the pass he made to Harrington to score a goal against the Sioux at Mariucci in January? It was as good as it gets. And he had 11 assists at the WJT to lead the team. Ask Chris Bourque if he thinks Kessel sees the ice well, he set up all his goals in that tourney. I thought Kessel would be more of a goal scorer coming into the season but teams key on him so much that he's forced to make the alternative play, and it usually ends up being a great pass to a teammate.

How many of that 30 were from the bench. :lol: And we all agree that he and Bourque looked great running up all those points against the hockey powerhouse Norway. :)

No, I didn't say it was your fault. I was hoping that after going through this a dozen times, you'd figure out for yourself what was going on.

You forgot Finley and Kozek. :)

But otherwise, when you're right, you're right. I've got no argument with your main point. thumbup_wink.gif

I guess the argument does just go in circles when I keep responding but it kills time. :lol:

Kessel see's the ice very well. He's got 30 assists for crying out loud. Did you see the pass he made to Harrington to score a goal against the Sioux at Mariucci in January? It was as good as it gets. And he had 11 assists at the WJT to lead the team. Ask Chris Bourque if he thinks Kessel sees the ice well, he set up all his goals in that tourney. I thought Kessel would be more of a goal scorer coming into the season but teams key on him so much that he's forced to take the shot, and his shots miss the net so bad that they usually end up looking like a great pass to a teammate.

fixed that for ya

:lol::)

just kidding

How many of that 30 were from the bench. :lol: And we all agree that he and Bourque looked great running up all those points against the hockey powerhouse Norway. :)

Last time I checked, Oshie also got to play Norway and didn't exactly light up the score sheet.

Damn it! Why can't I stop responding? It must be a sickness.

Last time I checked, Oshie also got to play Norway and didn't exactly light up the score sheet.

Wow I have to agree with you again. Oshie saved his best effort for the big games and was the one that looked best when the going got tough. :lol: Expect more of the same from him this weekend.

Wow I have to agree with you again. Oshie saved his best effort for the big games and was the one that looked best when the going got tough. :lol: Expect more of the same from him this weekend.

That team definitely needed more players with Oshie's work ethic. I don't think they keep this stat, but I bet that Oshie drew more penalties from the opponent more than any other player on the U.S. team.

phil was double shifted the whole second period of that game, while guys like Oshie and Wheeler watched from the bench. This was discussed after the game in the WJC thread. That's Walt Kyle's fault. I felt the U.S. team blew their wad in the first game or two. He could have rolled 4 lines against Norway and kept everyone a little fresher, it was sad seeing guys like Wheeler and Oshie riding the pine. If you followed the tourney you would also know that he moved TJ up to the first line later on in the tourny, because of the enrgy he brings to the game. It was a little too late however.

Well, that's a very good point. I should put that one right along with GWG are not meaningless if 2nd assists aren't meaningless. 2 good nuggets from PCM the last 2 days.