SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently we are not watching the same phil kessel then, or you need to start watching with your good eye. Fact is I've probably seen him play more times in the last year then you have there slap. Cripes I drove all the way to Lake Placid in August to watch the WJC tryouts, I'm pretty sure about what I've seen from kessel.

Apparently we are not watching the same phil kessel then, or you need to start watching with your good eye.

Is there a way to place you on ignore? Since you're either incapable or unwilling to engage in honest discourse, I'd rather not have to read your posts any further.

If the WCHA listens to what the NHL analysts and scouts are saying, Oshie is ROY and Toews is the runner-up but the same outfit that gives you outstanding referees will also give you their outstanding selections. I prefer to let the upcoming NHL draft support the reality of the situation.

How about you enlighten us and tell us what the NHL anaylysts and scouts are saying about Oshie, Toews, and Kessel. I want to see actual links and actual quotes from actual NHL analysts supporting what you say otherwise it doesn't mean a thing.

How about you enlighten us and tell us what the NHL anaylysts and scouts are saying about Oshie, Toews, and Kessel. I want to see actual links and actual quotes from actual NHL analysts supporting what you say otherwise it doesn't mean a thing.

There are links all over this board for various scouting services.

I'm sorry but yes, IMO, Kessel does deserve it. As I explained before, the award is for "Rookie of the Year" not "Rookie MVP". Yes there is a difference. MVP-most valuable player-indicates the value of a player to their team. I am guessing most gopher fans would agree with me on this and say Oshie has been more important to the Sioux success then Kessel has been to the Gophs' success. That is not a knock on kessel at all, I just think that without Oshie the sioux would be in trouble right now. But since the award is for "rookie of the year" I would say that it has to be given to Kessel, since he is pretty much an offensive wizard. It's just how I feel.

Yeah, that's what it means. Apparently you haven't watched the ON ICE performances of these players to even have a clue what Sioux-Habit meant. By the way were Stafford and Zajac drafted last year ?

When someone says this . . .

I prefer to let the upcoming NHL draft support the reality of the situation.

I wouldn't interpret that as the ON ICE performance of certain players. I'd guess that he was looking to the upcoming NHL draft to support his stated point of view. And his point of view was that Oshie would be drafted higher than Kessel (as would Toews). And I was simply pointing out that this was flat out wrong. Oshie has already been drafted, and obviously can't go higher than Kessel this year.

Kessel leads all freshman in scoring and has been incredibly consistent throughout the year. He hasn't had any long droughts without points like many freshman do. Toews' second half surge is too little too late, although he is very impressive right now. Kessel was good from start to finish, slightly better than Oshie. My top three would go Kessel, Oshie, Toews.

The statements on this thread are ridiculous. Why is it that Sioux fans always think that any really hyped up freshman for the Gophs (Vanek, Kessel) are prima donnas who don't work hard and take shifts off and think of themselves before the team and the Sioux's freshman (Parise, Oshie, Toews) are hard working, two way players who never take a shift off? I can't stop laughing when reading these posts. It's a nice break in my day. When I want to hear complete cr@p during the day i come to ss.com, and at night i can listen to Sean Hannity for more complete cr@p.

Or maybe this is what has all the Sioux fans so bitter:

Thomas Vanek: 2003 WCHA ROTY, 2003 WCHA freshman leading scorer, 2003 WCHA Final Five MVP, 2003 NCAA West Regional MVP, 2003 NCAA Frozen Four MOP, 2003 NCAA Champion, 5-1 career NCAA tournament record.

meanwhile...

Zach Parise: 1-2 career NCAA tournament record (lone win against a vaunted Holy Cross squad), didn't even show up against Ferris State in NCAA's in 2003, and managed to never make it to a Frozen Four. But hey, he was a hard working, back checking, two-way player who never took a shift off! Ya got that going for you.

You are right about Parise's record. It is why I was disappointed he left after Sophomore year. I felt he had unfinished business here before he left. Same with Bochenski and Murray.

It becomes hard in recruiting when these guys are looking for the next level over what they accomplish "as a team" here (or any school). Yet they have probably been told they can leave when they want. If you don't tell them that recruiting, they go elsewhere. I don't begrudge them going if they've helped the school win a championship. It is what they all say they come here for (or any top notch school), but some don't finish the task.

Should they have to stay four years? No. But I appreciate the ones who have much more than those who leave early without a title.

I think the whole leaving early deal is just the price we pay for getting to enjoy such gifted athletes while they play for the Sioux. I, too, am disappointed when they leave school, but think of all the pro hockey players you've had a chance to watch during their college careers. As long as UND continues to recruit and sign extremely talented young men, we're going to have to get used to seeing them for a year or two.

I think the whole leaving early deal is just the price we pay for getting to enjoy such gifted athletes while they play for the Sioux. I, too, am disappointed when they leave school, but think of all the pro hockey players you've had a chance to watch during their college careers. As long as UND continues to recruit and sign extremely talented young men, we're going to have to get used to seeing them for a year or two.

That's always going to be a "problem" for the top hockey programs. You have to balance seeing a great player for one or two years, versus a good player for four years. The teams that consistently win championships, are the teams that have the right blend of great players (1-2 years) and good players (4 years).

The fact of the matter is this both Oshie and Toew's NHL stock his risen this year, phils has fallen off, why is it ? Is it because he's an offensive wizard ? All his points at the WJC couldn't garner the US a bronze medal on a talent-laden team. This is the case with phil all year, rack up points against cupcakes, disappear vs. real competition. The Twin Cities' very own PA and Dubay have nothing but praise for Oshie and Toews yet at the same time can't understand the kessel hype. If Oshie were to be in this years draft he's a top 3 pick, no question. I want to see where it is written that the criteria for ROTY is who scores the most points, someone please show me that, or is it merely the opinion of everyone that it is the deciding factor. Awards like this are for who people think is the most outstanding player. I'm sorry you folks are having such a hard time accepting the fact that phil IS NOT the most outstanding freshmen this year but it is the simple truth. It's funny to me that most of us Sioux fans praise our players for their hard work on both ends of the ice, yet won't give them equal cosideration for an award that they are convinced a one dimensial player like kessel will probably win. Undeservingly.

I am new to this site, but have been a WCHA lover for years. I realize this is a Sioux website

and the subject of the Sioux and their successes should dominate. However, there seems to be

more Gopher bashing on this site than discussion on the Sioux. Don't you people realize that by

constantly referring to them you just make yourself look ignorant? Especially after they've just won

the McNaughton in convincing fashion and two national titles since we last won one?

I witnessed a prime example of this a few years back. My father-in-law has season tickets to the Sioux and we were at a game late in the season. I don't remember who the Sioux were playing, but they were chasing

Denver for the WCHA title. The Sioux needed the Gophers (who were locked in fourth place at the time) to beat Denver and the Sioux could still catch them. When they announced out of town scores the crowd,

including my father-in-law, erupted when they heard that Denver was leading. I just sat and shook my head in bewilderment and disgust. I turned and said to him, "Don't you realize we want Denver to lose so we could still win the regular season title?" He responded,"Naw, better to see the Goofers lose." Unbelieveable.

Also, I see people on this site making references like "7 National titles to 'only' 5 for the Gophers". I'm sorry,

but it makes us sound as stupid as if 49er fans (5 Super Bowls) would mock the Patriots for 'only' winning three. The point is "What have you done lately?"

And this ludicrous comparison of the Gophers to the New York Yankees? What are you guys smoking?

Last I checked, the Gophers are successful with mostly home-grown talent and tradition. If anything,

they are more like the Twins. It is very hypocritical for Sioux fans to paint the Gophers this way. I mean,

come on, if we are talking about teams like the Yankees who use money and talent not developed in their

region, the Sioux would fit that mold a lot better than the Gophers. They certainly have the money (Hello,

$100 million hockey arena!) and they've used talent from other places (Minnesota, Canada, etc.) for years

with a few local kids sprinkled in. In fact, in the last few years they've let two of their best local kids (Potulny

and Irmen) escape to who else? The Gophers!

Why don't we just celebrate our successes and worry about the damn Gophers when we play them. Then

let the trash talking begin. Otherwise, we just end up sounding like the moronic hicks the people in the Twin Cities think we are.

Don't tell other people that Kessel isn't deserving of an award that he clearly is deserving of.

He isn't, and it is an opinion, sorry you don't like it. I can hardly wait til they hand him the award so all of you can say "see Triouxper you were wrong, you're stupid, you're an immature jerk, we told you kessel was the bestest ever, shame on you Triouxper", yep that's gonna be a fun day.