SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

I think it is difficult to be objective over a subjective award, although Dagies is as close as I've seen. If Oshie and Kessell were on each others teams Gopher fans would be harping about two-way play and Sioux fans would be saying to just look at the numbers.

....and neither is a BADGer. So they have that going for them. :silly:

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's just not true. I give kessel all the credit in the world for being THE MOST heartless, selfish, one move wonder player in all of college hockey. Like I said at the outset of the world juniors and was blasted for it, kessel is one dissapointment after another, but USA hockey wants their golden boy. There is no need to listen to what I think, but the experts who evaluate hockey talent should be credible enough and you refuse to listen to them. This would be a good time for Sioux-Habit to tell us about the WJC favorite move again. For the record my true colors are green and black, not yellow(pee), and brown(poo).

Now that's just not true. I give kessel all the credit in the world for being THE MOST heartless, selfish, one move wonder player in all of college hockey. Like I said at the outset of the world juniors and was blasted for it, kessel is one dissapointment after another, but USA hockey wants their golden boy. There is no need to listen to what I think, but the experts who evaluate hockey talent should be credible enough and you refuse to listen to them. This would be a good time for Sioux-Habit to tell us about the WJC favorite move again. For the record my true colors are green and black, not yellow(pee), and brown(poo).

He's selfish? Is that why he leads the team in assists? Some of the passes he's made this year have been incredible. He also led the u.s. junior team in assists(and points). Ask Chris Borque if he thinks Kessel is selfish. He set him up for most of his goals in the junior tourney.

And those scouts you're referring to still have Kessel going in the top three of the draft and possibly number one.

Yes or no. Would you want Kessel on your team Triouxper? I f you answer no(which you should after everything you've said about him) then you know nothing about the game of hockey.

PCM, I don't want to argue all day about Kessel either but when someone says the things that Triouxper has said I see nothing wrong with responding.

He's selfish? Is that why he leads the team in assists? Some of the passes he's made this year have been incredible. He also led the u.s. junior team in assists(and points). Ask Chris Borque if he thinks Kessel is selfish. He set him up for most of his goals in the junior tourney.

And those scouts you're referring to still have Kessel going in the top three of the draft and possibly number one.

Yes or no. Would you want Kessel on your team Triouxper? I f you answer no(which you should after everything you've said about him) then you know nothing about the game of hockey.

PCM, I don't want to argue all day about Kessel either but when someone says the things that Triouxper has said I see nothing wrong with responding.

He never would have led if he hadn't racked up those five assisits against norway. But to answer your question, no he wouldn't be on my team, he's too soft. The proof is in the pudding. Just like in conference play, he scores against cream puffs, and dissappears against the heavy hitters. Where was he against team canada, against team finland, he was invisible, except for being knocked on his ass. When Oshie got knocked out against the fins, the US had the lead. It was the perfect opportunity for your golden boy to step up and lead that team to the bronze medal. What happened, TJ went to the locker room and so did the heart and soul of team USA, and phil's opportunity to shine went by the wayside, what a shame. When the chips are down your boy dissappears. And you praise him for padding his stats against bottom feeders at all levels, you are the beacon of light amongst all who follow hockey. How about we ask Walt Kyle what he thinks, careful, the answer may just shock you.

No question that Kessel is a great hockey player. To be a projected top three in the draft you can't be a chump.

Kessel is also leading the Gophers in shots on goal by a ton, and as the Wooger put it, when you take that many shots you pile up assists from the rebounds. To his credit, Kessel is starting to play a more team oriented game. Also credit to him for getting off so many shots.

All three mentioned here are great players, but Kessel is certainly deserving of the award despite some shortcoming. With his hype there was no way that he could give up to it, but his numbers on their face are enough to get the award.

Better question is will Kessel, Toews, and Oshie be the three forwards on the all rookie team?

Now that's just not true. I give kessel all the credit in the world for being THE MOST heartless, selfish, one move wonder player in all of college hockey.

:silly:

Why won't you just admit that Kessel is a good player? Yeah, he may play for one of our hated rivals, but he is still an excellent player...

Better question is will Kessel, Toews, and Oshie be the three forwards on the all rookie team?

The only forward that may displace Toews would be Raymond from UMD. But they appear to be going in different directions right now, as Toews has caught fire and Raymond has cooled off significantly.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the trio of Kessel, Toews, and Oshie as the 3 forwards on the Rookie Team.

I don't know why so many people are comparing Toews and Kessel. Kessel and Toews play two different styles of hockey. Kessel is a playmaker. That's it pure and simple. I guess you could say that only having less than 20 goals when you are supposed to be a goal scorer could be construed as "disappointing."

Toews is just a good all around hockey player. He doesn't have all of Kessel's "bells and whistles."

To claim either Toews or Kessel as having a "disappointing" year in general would be quite foolish. Both have done quite well.

So yeah, I've spoken my peace.

I'm with PCM from here on out.

The only forward that may displace Toews would be Raymond from UMD. But they appear to be going in different directions right now, as Toews has caught fire and Raymond has cooled off significantly.

I wouldn't be suprised to see the trio of Kessel, Toews, and Oshie as the 3 forwards on the Rookie Team.

what do you think about d then? I'd think Lee or Chorney have to get one of the spots on the rookie team. They certainly can't have both (I haven't kept track of how other Rookie D around the league are doing), but it'd be pretty amazing to have two forwards and two d-men on the rookie team.

edit: I did a little looking up and here's the Conference D scoring for rookies:

Name School GP PPG G-A-TP

Chris Butler Denver 24 0.71 6-11-17

Brian Lee UND 26 0.46 1-11-12

Shane Lovdahl UAA 24 0.42 3- 7-10

Taylor Chorney UND 26 0.38 3- 7-10

Brian Kilburg MSUM 22 0.41 1- 8- 9

Josh Meyers UMD 17 0.47 2- 6- 8

Jason Garrison UMD 26 0.31 1- 7- 8

what do you think about d then? I'd think Lee or Chorney have to get one of the spots on the rookie team. They certainly can't have both (I haven't kept track of how other Rookie D around the league are doing), but it'd be pretty amazing to have two forwards and two d-men on the rookie team.

What I hope: Chorney makes the Rookie D. Butler has basically sealed the deal for the other D. He leads the WCHA in rookie D scoring.

What I expect: Lee makes the Rookie D. Butler is first. Lee is second in freshman scoring as a defenseman.

:silly:

Why won't you just admit that Kessel is a good player? Yeah, he may play for one of our hated rivals, but he is still an excellent player...

I have admitted it, but playing for the gophers is not the reason for disliking kessel (theplayer), I don't dislike him as a person. The even better question is, why does it bother all of you so much because I don't like kessel as a player, you can argue stats, ect. all day long, it doesn't change the fact that he's lazy and has no heart. He may be a top three draft pick, but 6 months ago he was supposedly a lock for being #1 overall, why in the world would any team in their right mind have a change of heart ? Could it be his performance or lack thereof at the WJC ? Hmmmmm, I said it after that first game, go back and check the threads. I also said previously, and stand by it, that even if he goes first overall, he doesn't hold a candle to the previous two. (Ovechkin, and Crosby).

You can argue all you want. I've already seen and heard it all before.

I don't know why so many people are comparing Toews and Kessel. Kessel and Toews play two different styles of hockey. Kessel is a playmaker. That's it pure and simple. I guess you could say that only having less than 20 goals when you are supposed to be a goal scorer could be construed as "disappointing."

Toews is just a good all around hockey player. He doesn't have all of Kessel's "bells and whistles."

To claim either Toews or Kessel as having a "disappointing" year in general would be quite foolish. Both have done quite well.

So yeah, I've spoken my peace.

I'm with PCM from here on out.

I'm sure that's really comforting for him. ;):silly:

This one time Phil Kessel tried to burn my house down but The Oshie came by and singlehandedly put it out just by glaring at it. True story.

He never would have led if he hadn't racked up those five assisits against norway. But to answer your question, no he wouldn't be on my team, he's too soft. The proof is in the pudding. Just like in conference play, he scores against cream puffs, and dissappears against the heavy hitters. Where was he against team canada, against team finland, he was invisible, except for being knocked on his ass. When Oshie got knocked out against the fins, the US had the lead. It was the perfect opportunity for your golden boy to step up and lead that team to the bronze medal. What happened, TJ went to the locker room and so did the heart and soul of team USA, and phil's opportunity to shine went by the wayside, what a shame. When the chips are down your boy dissappears. And you praise him for padding his stats against bottom feeders at all levels, you are the beacon of light amongst all who follow hockey. How about we ask Walt Kyle what he thinks, careful, the answer may just shock you.

The difference between the Gophers and UND in the standings this year is a lot due to PP effectiveness. Kessel has a lot to do with it.

After seeing Kessel's role with the Gophers vs. what Kyle asked him to do is startlingly different. Lucia has basically been playing Guyer's and Potulny's line vs. opponents top lines. This has put Kessel in a position to do what he excels at most. Create offense.

If your going to match up against DU's top line to me it's a no brainer to have Oshie center. If you are going to ask someone to run a power play, it's still a no brainer and this time Kessel is the choice.

They are both incredible players and Toews is to me showing why he may go #1 overall. His speed, size and shot are superb.

With all the hockey you have watched you have to see the value Kessel has brought to the Gophers.

It really is the old Parise/Vanek comparison in my opinion, except neither is quite as good as the those guys quite yet.

I'm sure that's really comforting for him. ;):silly:

You have NO idea how it makes me feel!

warmfuzzy.jpg

This one time Phil Kessel tried to burn my house down but The Oshie came by and singlehandedly put it out just by glaring at it. True story.

I know what you mean. I won the lottery right after shaking T.J.'s hand. I'll never wash that hand again.

Laugh all you want, kessel being rookie of the year is as big of a shame as him going #1 overall in the upcoming NHL draft.

Oh, fer cryin' out loud, stop staring into your crystal ball and get off your freakin' high horse for a minute. :silly:

There's plenty of time for Oshie to prove his worth in the NCAA and the NHL, and I'm confident that he will do just fine in both. It isn't the end of the world because Gopher fans don't agree with you. What the heck do you expect, anyway? ;)

Little known TJ Oshie facts:

- TJ goes to South America during the summer and saves the rainforests by breathing pure magical CO2. He does not plant trees, the trees simply appear fully grown.

- TJ animates all of The Simpsons episodes for a season in a single day. He also does all the voices.

- TJ can write in Latin with his right hand while at the same time writing in Swahili with his left hand while at the same time performing the entire Shaksperian Library from memory.

- TJ has discovered 17 previously unknown comets without the use of a telescope.

- TJ taught Doc Brown how to build time machines out of a Delorian.

- TJ once fought a Polar Bear with both hands tied behind his back, killing the bear with just a tooth pick and a jar of peanut butter.

Kessel will most likely win this award, and I can't say he doesn't deserve it. He's a good player, and he's putting up the numbers as expected. Oshie is the hard nose player that everyone would love to have on their team, and has definitely earned all of his points. IMO, Toews is probably the most complete hockey player out of all three of these guys, with a truly gifted shot. As Phil Sykes once said, individual awards come as a result of great teams. Without the team, you most likely don't win the game. Kessel is playing on a great team, and will probably take home this award. Had Oshie or Toews been playing on a line with Bochenski and Parise, or Panzer and Lundbohm, it would probably go to one of those two. All three of these players are tremendously talented, and prove once again that the WCHA brings us the best players in the nation, for our viewing pleasure.

Little known TJ Oshie facts:

- TJ goes to South America during the summer and saves the rainforests by breathing pure magical CO2. He does not plant trees, the trees simply appear fully grown.

- TJ animates all of The Simpsons episodes for a season in a single day. He also does all the voices.

- TJ can write in Latin with his right hand while at the same time writing in Swahili with his left hand while at the same time performing the entire Shaksperian Library from memory.

- TJ has discovered 17 previously unknown comets without the use of a telescope.

- TJ taught Doc Brown how to build time machines out of a Delorian.

- TJ once fought a Polar Bear with both hands tied behind his back, killing the bear with just a tooth pick and a jar of peanut butter.

You are an idiot.