SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA ROY

7NationalTitles

Why do Sioux fans hate Kessel? And why do you guys talk like he isn't very good? He's a helluva player and everyone seems to realize it but you guys. He will win ROY and not because of the hype, not because of who he plays for, but because he is the best freshman in the country, let alone the WCHA.

Go over to GPL and see if you can find people bashing Oshie non-stop like Kessel is here. You won't find anything. You Sioux fans not only sound petty, pathetic, and jealous, but you also sound like you know nothing about hockey when you say the things you do about a player of Kessel's calibur.

He's a gauranteed top three pick in the NHL draft and let's not forget that he's a year younger than Oshie. I just don't see why Sioux fans feel the need to put down Kessel while complimenting Oshie. Every one of you knows that you would LOVE to have Kessel on your team.

because of the above comment i have placed in BOLD, the little "no doubt oshie is awesome" is immediately cancelled out when you have an immediate bash following it. Nobody is saying kessel isn't a talented player, just don't give him the proverbial "hands down" when you compare him to oshie, especially when it comes to heart. everyone on the planet knows that kessel is a good player, but he is also a headcase, as it shows in the "special defensive attention" he recieves 5 on 5 playing with another freshman and a sophomore and that most of his points are Power Play points with hobey winner Potulny and his boy Danny I. Oshie puts up points no matter the situation and plays with 10 times the heart that kessel does. Outside of gopher and sioux fans, fans around the league/country that have seen either of them play would be more willing to back oshie's play v kessel's play.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of gopher and sioux fans, fans around the league/country that have seen either of them play would be more willing to back oshie's play v kessel's play.

Apparently not the NHL scouts. Kessel will be drafted at least twenty spots ahead of where Oshie was taken last year. I wonder why that is. Could it be because his offensive skills are unmatched by any other 17 year old in the world? (including Toews)

because of the above comment i have placed in BOLD, the little "no doubt oshie is awesome" is immediately cancelled out when you have an immediate bash following it. Nobody is saying kessel isn't a talented player, just don't give him the proverbial "hands down" when you compare him to oshie, especially when it comes to heart. everyone on the planet knows that kessel is a good player, but he is also a headcase, as it shows in the "special defensive attention" he recieves 5 on 5 playing with another freshman and a sophomore and that most of his points are Power Play points with hobey winner Potulny and his boy Danny I. Oshie puts up points no matter the situation and plays with 10 times the heart that kessel does. Outside of gopher and sioux fans, fans around the league/country that have seen either of them play would be more willing to back oshie's play v kessel's play.

Ask Team Canada and the TSN Analysts from the recent WJC which forward from Team USA impressed them the most and, without the Green glasses I mailed to all of them, to a man they will say Oshie.

Go over to GPL and see if you can find people bashing Oshie non-stop like Kessel is here.

We could go over to GPL and argue incessantly about whether Sioux fans complain an inordinate amount about officiating but it would go the same way as these do here. The fan base generally has an opinion and that's the way it's going to be, like it or not.

Apparently not the NHL scouts. Kessel will be drafted at least twenty spots ahead of where Oshie was taken last year. I wonder why that is. Could it be because his offensive skills are unmatched by any other 17 year old in the world? (including Toews)

I'm gonna play the USNDP card and the hype vs the playing for a high school team stuck up in the bowels of northern minnesota where, although scouts have heard of, never venture to.. seems to me toewes' stock has risen this year as kessel's has dropped (albeit switching spots within the top 3)

Nothing is going to bring a bigger smile to my face on draft day then thinking about all the long faces in MN when Toews gets selected ahead of Kessel. Based on my opinion as to who is the best Freshman in the NCAA you may be thinking that I am an Oshie rube but you would be mistaken. Whichever team gets Toews is getting a potential Sakic or Yzerman which history has shown leads to more success than a potential Kariya or Selanne type player.

Nothing is going to bring a bigger smile to my face on draft day then thinking about all the long faces in MN when Toews gets selected ahead of Kessel. Based on my opinion as to who is the best Freshman in the NCAA you may be thinking that I am an Oshie rube but you would be mistaken. Whichever team gets Toews is getting a potential Sakic or Yzerman which history has shown leads to more success than a potential Kariya or Selanne type player.

Why would we care if Toews is selected ahead of Kessel when they're both going to be drafted behind Erik Johnson, another Gopher.

Toews, Oshie, and Kessel are all great players and all hockey fans should agree with that. I think that if Sioux fans could see what is written about Kessel on this site through an objective point of view, they'd see how ridiculous they sound.

I agree with the poster who says Oshie is one of the best freshmen he has ever seen. He is smart, great with the puck, has great vision, great balance moves well without the puck, great anticipation and is one of the toughest rookies I have ever seen without being cheap. He is deserving of ROY. I predict he will adapt well and faster to the NHL because of his toughness and balance.

You have to be a bit goofy not to realize that Kessel is one hell of a hockey player. He is smart, scores well and passes well. He will continue to be a great player in the league until he goes to the NHL. I agree with the poster who is miffed that some on this forum can't see that. It makes some of us look either stupid or petty. Sioux fans, as a whole, are neither.

I would still take Oshie because of his heart. He is one of those kids you can go to war with. He is the most impressive freshman I seen since the Sioux teams in the late 1970's and early 1980's with Joyce, Hrkac, Sykes, Murray, Patrick, Maxwell et all or the Goober teams of Broten, Buttsie and friends.

Nothing is going to bring a bigger smile to my face on draft day then thinking about all the long faces in MN when Toews gets selected ahead of Kessel.

Yes - mass suicides will ensue at Mariucci if Toews is drafter before Kessel. Whatever will we do with ourselves if that happens?

???

You've had some good posts so far, but this one is as dumb as they get.

Oshie was drafted as an unkown high school kid from a small MN school. Last year's draft class was/is way more talented than this years class. Not only was last year's best player better than everyone this year, but most of the top 5 are better than this year's best player. Oshie surpassed expectations on a freshman-heavy team... you can't deny that.

Kessel comes in as a possible savior to USA hockey. The hype over Kessel has driven had driven his stock up well before last year's draft. He probably would have gone 10-15 last year. In a lower talented draft, he'll be a top 3 pick, possibly #1. Kessel spent a year at UM and lived up to expectations. He scored points when people expected him to score points... albeit with lots of upperclassmen to help him out.

Were Oshie not drafted last year and the two were available this year... Kessel would be in the 1-3 spot and Oshie would be a top 10, most likely 7-9. In a draft class that isn't as talented as the past couple, that's not a huge difference in skills.

Why would we care if Toews is selected ahead of Kessel when they're both going to be drafted behind Erik Johnson, another Gopher.

Toews, Oshie, and Kessel are all great players and all hockey fans should agree with that. I think that if Sioux fans could see what is written about Kessel on this site through an objective point of view, they'd see how ridiculous they sound.

Something we can agree on is that Johnson will be the number one pick. In fact the TSN analysts stated that he is ready for the NHL now and as the number one pick will likely sign his pro contract this summer.

Yes - mass suicides will ensue at Mariucci if Toews is drafter before Kessel. Whatever will we do with ourselves if that happens?

;)

I'm actually going to give you and bucky a piece of friendly little advice here slappy. Stay out of the kool-aid line when this day arrives. ???

You have to be a bit goofy not to realize that Kessel is one hell of a hockey player. He is smart, scores well and passes well. He will continue to be a great player in the league until he goes to the NHL. I agree with the poster who is miffed that some on this forum can't see that. It makes some of us look either stupid or petty. Sioux fans, as a whole, are neither.

Sioux fans are very knowledgable about hockey. That's why it sounds like petty jealousy when 90% of what they say about Kessel is very negative. I know Sioux fans hate the Gophers but I hate the Sioux just as much and I don't find it hard to compliment one of their players.

Every single person on this site who has posted something negative about Kessel would love to have him on their team. Every college coach in the nation would love to have him.

I think Kesel will win ROY, but if Oshie wins it he will be very deserving also. And I also wouldn't blow a gasket like Sioux fans did when Vanek won it over Parise.

Something we can agree on is that Johnson will be the number one pick. In fact the TSN analysts stated that he is ready for the NHL now and as the number one pick will likely sign his pro contract this summer.

E. Johnson will play for the gophers next season, you can write that down. It's his dream to play for the "U" and he recently made it very clear to Lucia that he is coming.

[i think Kesel will win ROY, but if Oshie wins it he will be very deserving also. And I also wouldn't blow a gasket like Sioux fans did when Vanek won it over Parise.

With all that's been said and compared on here, thanks for making the Oshie > Kessel argument. Vanek recieved his because of overall contribution, not just stats. What these two teams and players do from here to 4/8 will determine who really is deserving.

Kessell is great, saw all his games in th 05' WJC and was fun to watch. I also agree with wanting him for our team. I was hoping I'd run into him and let him know he was playing where he should go to school. The two players are very different, would like them both on any team I cheer for, and it'll come down to guess who, 'the committee'. Who'd thought?

E. Johnson will play for the gophers next season, you can write that down. It's his dream to play for the "U" and he recently made it very clear to Lucia that he is coming.

He won't be dreaming when a team in need of new D like St Louis, Pittsburgh or Chicago shows him the $$$ ???

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but his "dreams", and what the NHL team that drafts him want are two different things. If he goes 1st overall, and that particular team wants him in their system, that's where he'll be. You can write that down. Pretty much every drafted player's future is dictated by the team that owns their rights, not their college team. I suppose you think lucia is above all of that though, I'm sure he has some magical kind of influence with regards to players and the NHL. This is why I have a problem with what you post, you are clueless almost all of the time. By the way how's peter mueller ? ???

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but his "dreams", and what the NHL team that drafts him want are two different things. If he goes 1st overall, and that particular team wants him in their system, that's where he'll be. You can write that down. Pretty much every drafted player's future is dictated by the team that owns their rights, not their college team. I suppose you think lucia is above all of that though, I'm sure he has some magical kind of influence with regards to players and the NHL. This is why I have a problem with what you post, you are clueless almost all of the time. By the way how's peter mueller ? :lol:

and this is why everyone attacks you, was this really needed??

Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but his "dreams", and what the NHL team that drafts him want are two different things. If he goes 1st overall, and that particular team wants him in their system, that's where he'll be. You can write that down. Pretty much every drafted player's future is dictated by the team that owns their rights, not their college team. I suppose you think lucia is above all of that though, I'm sure he has some magical kind of influence with regards to players and the NHL. This is why I have a problem with what you post, you are clueless almost all of the time. By the way how's peter mueller ? :lol:

Peter Mueller's situation is completely diifferent than Johnson's. Mueller had already spent two seasons in the U.S. junior program and was not going back. But he was still a year away from college so he didn't have many other options. He also has a dad that wants him in the NHL yesterday.

I do happen to know for a fact that Lucia is VERY confident Johnson will be a gopher. Johnson also wants to play with his us junior team buddies like Kessel, Stoa, Frazee, Carmen, Flynn, and O'brien.

Peter Mueller's situation is completely diifferent than Johnson's. Mueller had already spent two seasons in the U.S. junior program and was not going back. But he was still a year away from college so he didn't have many other options. He also has a dad that wants him in the NHL yesterday.

I do happen to know for a fact that Lucia is VERY confident Johnson will be a gopher. Johnson also wants to play with his us junior team buddies like Kessel, Stoa, Frazee, Carmen, Flynn, and O'brien.

The boat races just haven't been the same without him on the drinking team? :lol: