SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

17 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh there has been. Sure UND and DU still get blue chips here and there. But more blue chips than ever before are choosing to play college puck. I could be a bit older than you but I remember a pocket of time where we had at least one first rounder 3-4 years in a row. Teams like BC, BU, Mich etc are basically doing that now with more volume. Not bashing our recruiting at all, we have a great class this year. We just don’t hit those blue chips as hard as we used to…or as hard as those other schools have been lately. Times have changed a bit. That’s fine as long as we produce.

I think it's going to be interesting to see what will happen when (assuming) college hockey is opened up to kids from the major junior ranks.  I listened to Mike McMahon's podcast interview of Shane Malloy of Fractal Hockey the other day.  Fractal Hockey does analytics on the CHL kids.

Like others, Malloy predicts that the NCAA will become the top of the pyramid for hockey development in Canada and the US.  You'll have high schools and leagues like the NAHL at the bottom, then the USHL and CHL leagues, with college hockey being the finishing league prior to the NHL.  Malloy predicts that the talent level in college hockey is going to jump dramatically, with many/most of the top end kids playing in the CHL to likely make at least an appearance in college hockey.

The CHL teams are 100% in favor of it.  Malloy says that their scholarship programs are a significant cost to the teams, and it's something they are going to do away with as soon as those kids can go to US colleges.

Another interesting point he raised is that from a broadcasting/streaming standpoint, we should see significant upgrades.  He predicts huge demands out of Canada for college hockey broadcasts/streams.

An interesting listen, and I still wonder to what extent that is influencing recruiting right now in the US.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I think it's going to be interesting to see what will happen when (assuming) college hockey is opened up to kids from the major junior ranks.  I listened to Mike McMahon's podcast interview of Shane Malloy of Fractal Hockey the other day.  Fractal Hockey does analytics on the CHL kids.

Like others, Malloy predicts that the NCAA will become the top of the pyramid for hockey development in Canada and the US.  You'll have high schools and leagues like the NAHL at the bottom, then the USHL and CHL leagues, with college hockey being the finishing league prior to the NHL.  Malloy predicts that the talent level in college hockey is going to jump dramatically, with many/most of the top end kids playing in the CHL to likely make at least an appearance in college hockey.

The CHL teams are 100% in favor of it.  Malloy says that their scholarship programs are a significant cost to the teams, and it's something they are going to do away with as soon as those kids can go to US colleges.

Another interesting point he raised is that from a broadcasting/streaming standpoint, we should see significant upgrades.  He predicts huge demands out of Canada for college hockey broadcasts/streams.

An interesting listen, and I still wonder to what extent that is influencing recruiting right now in the US.

Agree on all fronts 

35 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Sounds like BC could get another big commit today. 

27 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Kristian Kostadinski?

He is big, at 6' 6".   7th round pick of the Bruins. 

• Upvote 1

I wish him well after he's done with the Eagles. 

The Boston College men’s hockey team landed a commitment from defenseman Kristian Kostadinski. 

“I am extremely grateful and honoured to announce my commitment to play Division I hockey at Boston College,” wrote Kostadinski via Instagram. “I would like to thank my family, friends, advisor, coaches, and everyone that helpt me get to this point.” 

The 19-year-old was selected as the No. 220 (seventh round) overall pick of the 2023 NHL Draft by the Boston Bruins. (Link)

On 9/1/2024 at 9:32 PM, nodakvindy said:

I don't think there's been much change. Bc and BU have always gotten big eastern players and with ntdp in their backyard Michigan has gotten big names as have Minnesota and Wisconsin. If there was a flow of guys to Penn St Merrimack or Vermont I'd agree we were seeing a shift, but UND and DU are still getting big names with other NCHC pulling an occasional blue chip. Will be interesting to see how ASU recruiting differs with then now in the conference. 

Since 2019 (inclusive) NHL first round picks from or going to college by conference

Big10:  24

HE:  16

NCHC:  5 (and one of those transferred to Big10 after 1 season)

not trying to call anyone's baby ugly...just calling out the facts.  The blue chippas are going to Big 10 at 5x the clip NCHC and to Hockey East at 3x...

Lot to those choices that can have a million things to do outside of school or hockey, but it is worth noting.  

NIL $ is going to start playing an even bigger role too...I think DU and UND will be okay competing in salary bidding, but will St Cloud and Omaha?

23 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

not trying to call anyone's baby ugly...just calling out the facts.  The blue chippas are going to Big 10 at 5x the clip NCHC and to Hockey East at 3x...

Lot to those choices that can have a million things to do outside of school or hockey, but it is worth noting.  

NIL $ is going to start playing an even bigger role too...I think DU and UND will be okay competing in salary bidding, but will St Cloud and Omaha?

Let’s be real, will SCSU exist in 10 years? That’s the better question

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

Since 2019 (inclusive) NHL first round picks from or going to college by conference

Big10:  24

HE:  16

NCHC:  5 (and one of those transferred to Big10 after 1 season)

All that talent has translated to diddly squat for the traditional powers in those two conferences; those teams being BC, BU, MI, MN, WI. This leads me to believe that teams with many solid players (2nd-7th round guys) staying for 3-4 years generally have better success than teams w/ revolving doors of 1st-round players who are around 1-2 years.

Out of those 40 players drafted in the 1st round who played in Hockey East or the Big10 since 2019, it would be interesting to see how many of them went to just 4 schools: Michigan, MN, BC & BU.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, .357 said:

All that talent has translated to diddly squat for the traditional powers in those two conferences; those teams being BC, BU, MI, MN, WI. This leads me to believe that teams with many solid players (2nd-7th round guys) staying for 3-4 years generally have better success than teams w/ revolving doors of 1st-round players who are around 1-2 years.

Out of those 40 players drafted in the 1st round who played in Hockey East or the Big10 since 2019, it would be interesting to see how many of them went to just 4 schools: Michigan, MN, BC & BU.

I think you’re correlating 0 Nattys with diddly squat and I’m not so sure that’s accurate. I’m no fan of the teams in the Big 10 but there is a Big 10 team in the frozen four almost every single year, sometimes more than one. So even though they didn’t win the big one, making the F4 is still a solid accomplishment. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I think you’re correlating 0 Nattys with diddly squat and I’m not so sure that’s accurate. I’m no fan of the teams in the Big 10 but there is a Big 10 team in the frozen four almost every single year, sometimes more than one. So even though they didn’t win the big one, making the F4 is still a solid accomplishment. 

Agree, it is an accomplishment, but in the same token, so are league championships in the hardest conference, and getting some hardware, but in the end most of us want more than that.  That definitely needs to be a goal of ours every year, but we saw how that played out in the eyes of some for Hakstol.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Yes, making the F4 is a solid accomplishment, but bringing home the hardware is what defines a program. Teams like QU, UMD, even DU (who I don't think had a single first-rounder last year before Z. Buium was drafted this June, correct me if I'm mistaken) are all doing better against stacked teams with first-rounders. Logicallly it doesn't make much sense, but that's how it's been playing out the last 5-10 years. And going back 10-11 years, teams like Union & Providence have more to show for themselves than anyone in the Big 10 as far as NC go. Go figure...seems that blue chips are good at getting you to the Big Dance, but experienced 3rd & 4th year guys, excellent coaching & forging one's steel in the most difficult conference are better barometers for national championships, generally; along w/ peaking at the right time & having a healthy roster going into nationals, of course. 

• Upvote 1

Mini recruiting update on the UND Hockey podcast. 

1. Berchild - Schlossman doesn’t think he ends up at UND. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Denver were the schools mentioned. So I have noted not to hold my breath on this one. 

2. Beuker - sounds like he’s narrowed down to 4-5 schools. UND is believed to be one of them. 

3. Zajic - hasn’t heard anything either way on whether or not UND is in on him or not. They could be, but his contacts haven’t mentioned anything. (Personally I’m thinking Big10. Chicago kids seem to favor that league) 

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

1. Berchild - Schlossman doesn’t think he ends up at UND. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Denver were the schools mentioned. So I have noted not to hold my breath on this one. 
2. Beuker - sounds like he’s narrowed down to 4-5 schools. UND is believed to be one of them. 
3. Zajic - hasn’t heard anything either way on whether or not UND is in on him or not. They could be, but his contacts haven’t mentioned anything. (Personally I’m thinking Big10. Chicago kids seem to favor that league) 

Thanks for the update.
I'm hoping we can land at least one.  Crossing those fingers...

21 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Re Berchild…I’ll take a shot in the dark and guess DU