SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Perhaps. But all I see on this thread and on others is DU, DU, DU. I do not want to play second-fiddle to Denver for years to come.

I hate to burst your bubble, but DU is a pretty decent program. You can't recruit them all. I can tell you this,  Randklev is the real deal. I was impressed with him when I watched Tonka and Moorhead play earlier this year. He's got some serious speed. 

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but DU is a pretty decent program. You can't recruit them all. I can tell you this,  Randklev is the real deal. I was impressed with him when I watched Tonka and Moorhead play earlier this year. He's got some serious speed. 

When DU keeps getting recruit after recruit, it is a problem. I never said "recruit them all". They are in our conference and losing recruiting battles to them will have real consequences.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

We should not be banking the entire next season on the incoming class. If we are going to bank on anything it should be on returning players taking a step forward. That is what should always happen.

Freshmen contribute at various degrees, are pretty inconsistent, and often take time to adjust. 

This year’s sophomore class as a whole has not taken a step forward, and that’s been a big part of the problem.

THIS

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

When DU keeps getting recruit after recruit, it is a problem. I never said "recruit them all". They are in our conference and losing recruiting battles to them will have real consequences.

How do you know if DU’s recruits will pan out when they get to campus? If they don’t they’ll be in a heap of trouble also. 

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

How do you know if DU’s recruits will pan out when they get to campus? If they don’t they’ll be in a heap of trouble also. 

Nobody knows if recruits will pan out until they get to campus and start playing. But if you think it is okay that Denver is landing a large number of highly-touted recruits at (partially) our expense, then we will have to agree to disagree. I really hope I am wrong, but on the surface, it does not look good based on what I have been reading on this forum.

1 hour ago, The Exiled One said:

Your lunch is being eaten because  your coaches are BAD at identifying the best players early and getting to them before other teams do.

Serious question, have any of Berry's recruits (as a head coach) even made it to campus yet? 

37 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Denver is landing a large number of highly-touted recruits at (partially) our expense, then we will have to agree to disagree.

No disrespect to Goon's nephew, but Randklev has almost double the number of goals this season than Brink.
DU has some great recruits in the pipeline, but UND has some darn good ones too.  Sure, I'd like to see a few more blue-chippahs in the mix, but let's see how all these kids do on campus before deeming them failure.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Serious question, have any of Berry's recruits (as a head coach) even made it to campus yet

No disrespect to Goon's nephew, but Randklev has almost double the number of goals this season than Brink.
DU has some great recruits in the pipeline, but UND has some darn good ones too.  Sure, I'd like to see a few more blue-chippahs in the mix, but let's see how all these kids do on campus before deeming them failure.

Yes. Nick Jones and Jordan Kawaguchi are Berry recruits. I believe there are a couple others also. 

24 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Serious question, have any of Berry's recruits (as a head coach) even made it to campus yet? 

Just a point of clarification, Randklev is two years older than Bobby.  

29 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Brink is a soph...and a better prospect. Plays a much tougher schedule too.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nobody knows if recruits will pan out until they get to campus and start playing. But if you think it is okay that Denver is landing a large number of highly-touted recruits at (partially) our expense, then we will have to agree to disagree. I really hope I am wrong, but on the surface, it does not look good based on what I have been reading on this forum.

So you are sure that Denver wasn't after Tychonick, Bernard-Docker, Sanderson, Reid, etc.?

There are a ton of kids that put up numbers in Minnesota High School  that do squat going forward.  Heck, there are a bunch of players in the USHL that put up big numbers and do nothing at the college level.  Numbers don't always translate to the next level.  

Realistically the only team we should really have trouble recruiting against for top Minnesota players is Minnesota and I guess on certain kids you could argue Duluth. When you look at history/tradition, facilities, and location we should be landing more high end Minnesota guys than we currently are. Whether that is because our staff doesn't identify them quick enough or whether they just plain get beat out by another school really doesn't matter to me because all it means is you are missing out on a really talented kid. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Realistically the only team we should really have trouble recruiting against for top Minnesota players is Minnesota and I guess on certain kids you could argue Duluth. When you look at history/tradition, facilities, and location we should be landing more high end Minnesota guys than we currently are. Whether that is because our staff doesn't identify them quick enough or whether they just plain get beat out by another school really doesn't matter to me because all it means is you are missing out on a really talented kid. 

I like our track record over the past decade compared to Minnesota's when it comes to putting a competitive team on the ice year in and year out.  

12 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Any idea why? Maybe the city life? I love GF but I can see why some kids wouldn't want to come here.

The real question is why didn't Goon do more to lure him to UND?

Maybe we are looking at this all wrong, Berry recruits just fine but Goon can't get a commit from his own kin #FIREGOON 

6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The real question is why didn't Goon do more to lure him to UND?

Maybe we are looking at this all wrong, Berry recruits just fine but Goon can't get a commit from his own kin #FIREGOON 

His dad was a former Golden Rodent. #firegoon