SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I'm not exactly sure but I believe Wisconsin is and I know they have forward spots available for next year.

I've heard the same, that the "big" schools are after him. Looked good at the WJAC. Pure speculation, but I'd assume that UND is in on him.

• 4 weeks later...

Any of these Warroad kids in the radar? Oshie, Nelson....who's next? They seem to be off to a good start

Probably Jared Bethune who is a Junior and off to a great start. Warroads top line actually has the top 3 scorers in the state right now. Bethune was selected to play with the US under 17 team this summer but couldn't because of Canadian citizenship.

I saw on the travel blog that Coach Berry didn't travel with the team because he was on a recruiting trip and had to catch up with them. I'm not real sure who he was visiting but some Minnesota high school players to watch for the future are Zach Yon F SR. Roseau, Jared Bethune F JR. Warroad, Tanner Tweeten F Soph. EGF, Dixon Bowen F JR. EGF, Max Zimmer F Soph. Wayzata, Kieffer Bellows F Soph. Edina, Jonah Bischoff F Soph. Grand Rapids, Hunter Shepard G SR. Grand Rapids, and Zach Driscoll G JR. Eastview.

He just turned 17, I'd say he has at least another year of juniors.

It sounds like Hughes will be visiting Wisconsin this weekend and that they have a good chance of landing him. UMD and UND are also interested but it looks like Wisconsin is the favorite because they need forwards badly for next year and can offer 2014 whereas UND would likely be 2015 and I'm not sure on UMD.

Not really related to any of our recruits, but this article shows some of the motivations of those who choose the college route or go MJ.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

Thanks for the link. A couple of thoughts and tell me if I am off. The one kid from the O said that there were guys that would dominate in college. OK that maybe so. Then though how many college players would dominate in the O? There is what 64 teams in the CHL. Multiply that by 22 and you have around 1400 players. There are what 60-61 D1 teams. So there are roughly the same number of players total. Out of the 1400 CHL guys how many of them will ever see the NHL? Then they either end up banging around the minors forever or play Canadian college hockey. We all know how well Canadian college teams can compete with American college teams. As the article noted there are currently 300 ex-college guys playing in the NHL. How many ex-CHLers are there? Think of how many guys have left college because they could not cut it went to the CHL and never went anywhere. Also think of how many top college players would be welcomed in the CHL with hugs and kisses and would dominate? There I am done. Am I on track with this or not?

Thanks for the link. A couple of thoughts and tell me if I am off. The one kid from the O said that there were guys that would dominate in college. OK that maybe so. Then though how many college players would dominate in the O? There is what 64 teams in the CHL. Multiply that by 22 and you have around 1400 players. There are what 60-61 D1 teams. So there are roughly the same number of players total. Out of the 1400 CHL guys how many of them will ever see the NHL? Then they either end up banging around the minors forever or play Canadian college hockey. We all know how well Canadian college teams can compete with American college teams. As the article noted there are currently 300 ex-college guys playing in the NHL. How many ex-CHLers are there? Think of how many guys have left college because they could not cut it went to the CHL and never went anywhere. Also think of how many top college players would be welcomed in the CHL with hugs and kisses and would dominate? There I am done. Am I on track with this or not?

There would be tons of guys that dominate in the O. The one thing I debate with my cousins (who are Cananadians and LOVE their CHL) is what about the 18-19 year olds that absolutely dominate the CHL and have nothing else to prove. The CHL is such a great league with so many awesome players however I wonder how beneficial it is to stay in the league only to score 130 pts against younger/smaller competition. My example is Nick Petan in Portland, the guy is 5'10 170lbs and he racked up 100+ pts last year. What benefit is there to playing against a bunch of 16-18 year olds and putting up another 130 pts? I believe he would be better off playing against older/bigger players to better develope himself. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

The one kid from the O said that there were guys that would dominate in college. OK that maybe so. Then though how many college players would dominate in the O?

There are certain players who are going to dominate their opponents no matter what league they're in, but I believe the bigger, stronger, and older/wiser players of the NCAA make it more difficult for offensively gifted players to put up dominant numbers. Players like Toews and Oshie, who were very good in the NCAA and put up good numbers at a young age, would have completely dominated (stats-wise) the little kids in the CHL.

Jared Bethune (Warroad) committed to UMD with his good buddy Kobe Roth (Warroad).

Not sure how much interest UND had, but I recall Schlossman saying Bethune was a player to keep an eye on.

Think a lot of teams were very interested in Bethune and I would have liked him at UND but I am a little surprised that Roth had an offer already at his size even though he has put up a lot of points. I've watched them a few times and Bethune is definitely the better player and I kind of wonder if UMD offered Roth partly to have a better chance to get Bethune.

Think a lot of teams were very interested in Bethune and I would have liked him at UND but I am a little surprised that Roth had an offer already at his size even though he has put up a lot of points. I've watched them a few times and Bethune is definitely the better player and I kind of wonder if UMD offered Roth partly to have a better chance to get Bethune.

Which one is the little one that just suck holes the whole time? Or is that the third guy on the top line?

Jared Bethune (Warroad) committed to UMD with his good buddy Kobe Roth (Warroad).

Not sure how much interest UND had, but I recall Schlossman saying Bethune was a player to keep an eye on.

Bethune and Roth are both very good players. Their schedule is very easy so I would be interested to see what they did at the USHL level. Roth is tiny but very skilled he'll make a good 4 year college player if he keeps progressing. I'm guessing Roth won't get much bigger than 5'6"/7". Bethune may be very good, again I simply haven't seen him play against top competition. Looks as though those boys go nuts against those small schools.

Which one is the little one that just suck holes the whole time? Or is that the third guy on the top line?

Roth is the smaller one and is pretty good with the puck but I wasn't really impressed with anything else he did. Bethune is more of an all around player that has great offensive ability, he can play a physical and power style at times too.

Roth is the smaller one and is pretty good with the puck but I wasn't really impressed with anything else he did. Bethune is more of an all around player that has great offensive ability, he can play a physical and power style at times too.

Roth must be the one I'm thinking of. Does have speed but hovers by blue line and takes off lots of times before team even has control of puck after opposing shots.

Jack Ahcan of Burnsville is an undersized but dynamic skating dman, seems cut of the Chay Genowy cloth. I watched the Bville Edina game onThursday, and he really impressed me with his skill.

A+ skating

A hands

B compete

A hockey sense

B shot

He's a jr and the property of Cedar Rapids in the USHL. He is very small now, but if he hit 5'10 190 and spent 2 years in the USHL, he could be a great pick up