SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I know I posted this earlier but doesn't it seem that we don't have many commitments for 2007 and up yet. The Badgers and the dirty Gophers seem to be racking the recruits up.This coaching staff seems to keep there cards pretty close to the vest compared to last staff as far as recruits go :huh:

Remember though we brought in 12 freshman this year so we don't need to recruit as heavily for that year. (depending on early departures)

quick update from what i've heard from a reliable source:

sioux are looking to bring in darcy zajac next year to keep travis here at least a year.

sioux are fighting for theissen really hard. sioux would be willing to bring him in next year if jpar goes pro.

jordan willert has been talking to UND a lot and it seems like UND is his front runner.

jake marto could be asked to stay in the ushl for one more year, because even if smaby goes pro, with chay genoway coming and bina probably coming back, the d would be full. even alexander may not get much playing time.

sioux and mankato are the two schools going hardest for marvin. rumors have it he's leaning towards UND.

quick update from what i've heard from a reliable source:

sioux are looking to bring in darcy zajac next year to keep travis here at least a year.

sioux are fighting for theissen really hard. sioux would be willing to bring him in next year if jpar goes pro.

jordan willert has been talking to UND a lot and it seems like UND is his front runner.

jake marto could be asked to stay in the ushl for one more year, because even if smaby goes pro, with chay genoway coming and bina probably coming back, the d would be full. even alexander may not get much playing time.

sioux and mankato are the two schools going hardest for marvin. rumors have it he's leaning towards UND.

Thanks for the updates!

I assumed that was one reason that they were bringing in Darcy next season. Hopefully their plan works and Travis stays another year to play with his brother.

I don't see Parise going pro (most undrafted goalies don't leave school early), but would still love to see Thiessen come in the 07 year to pick up the load after Lammy graduates.

Hopefully the Sioux can land Willert and Marvin!

From the looks of it, Marto could probably benefit from another year in the USHL, and like you said, with Genoway coming in and Bina coming back, things should be good in the defensive area.

I think we could have a good chance of getting him since UND have had a few other Marvins in the mix.

Maybe Eades will have a hand in this too.

As for the Marto/Genoway thing... I don't see either one as a tradeoff for Smaby. Marto has more of an offensive upside (potentially speaking... and from what it appears, it will be in the form of assists) while Genoway has a flexibility of assignment (Lee Marvin-esque). Neither are physical defensemen.

I really wish we could have gotten Gryba. Oh well.

As for Thiessen... Thiessen would be great. Kangas (unlikely) would be good too. Whomever we end up with, I hope he doesn't turn a Siembida.

I like where we're headed at the Forward position. Landing Aaron Marvin would be really neat.

As for the Marto/Genoway thing... I don't see either one as a tradeoff for Smaby. Marto has more of an offensive upside (potentially speaking... and from what it appears, it will be in the form of assists) while Genoway has a flexibility of assignment (Lee Marvin-esque). Neither are physical defensemen.

I really wish we could have gotten Gryba. Oh well.

As for Thiessen... Thiessen would be great. Kangas (unlikely) would be good too. Whomever we end up with, I hope he doesn't turn a Siembida.

I like where we're headed at the Forward position. Landing Aaron Marvin would be really neat.

Here are a few Kangas links to the Sioux - he has played with a few of the current players with the Mn Blades - his dad coached former Sioux Jason Notermann in baseball to a State American Legion Championship. Sioux have a 50-50 chance to land him. He visits the Gophers next week.

According to Chris Heisenberg's blog, UND has been showing interest in Brad Malone. The 6'3" winger is a 2007 recruit whose cousin is Ryan Malone of the Penguins.

He's supposed to be good, but he's also indicated that he'd like to go to school in the Boston area. Just thought I would shoot this out to you all.

I'd say we have a slim chance to land this guy.

I gotta think that we weren't recruiting Brad Thiesen to heavily because he verballed to Northeastern. I am guessing we offered him 07 and he didn't want to wait but on the flip side at least he will see plenty of shots come his way. Hopefully we will be able to find another goalie out there possibly Kangas but it sounds as if he waits until 07 it will only be for the Gophers.

Vegas,

Who is Jason and Colin Wilson? I see that one of them plays for the USNDT where does the other play and are they from Winnipeg or Connecticut? How old are they, what type of players are they and when are they college eligible? I know you have discussed this before, but when and where have you seen them? Thanks

Jason Gregoire is from Winnipeg. He was Colin Wilson's teammate in AAA Bantam. Jason was the leading scorer on that AAA team and is maybe a shade better than Colin Wilson who is also a very talented young player.

Nice article on Chris Vande Velde from the Edmonton Oilers' Web site. Nice comments about UND, too.

Fine 'n 'Vandy'

Lincoln the perfect steppingstone for Oilers pick

Coming from a high school program where winning came easy and points even easier, Chris Vande Velde's story mirrors those of many finding their way through their first season in the USHL.
The Oilers are thrilled Vande Velde is heading to North Dakota. They're bullish on the program, in particular the coaching staff of Dave Hakstol, Brad Berry and Cary Eades. On top of that, former Fighting Sioux defenseman Matt Greene, who played in the USHL for Green Bay before heading to UND, is evolving into a regular on the Oilers' blue line, while freshman defenseman Taylor Chorney, a second-round pick last year, is also a top-rated prospect in Edmonton's camp.

"We feel we have a good track record with that school," said Prendergast. "They're very well-coached, it's a top-ranked hockey school in the U.S. and the WCHA, we feel, is the best conference in hockey right now.

"It's a great opportunity for [Vande Velde]. It's a young team and he's going in at the perfect time to develop and get a lot of playoff experience. We like to have players that come out of winning situations and I think it will be a great situation for him."