SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Can we be a little objective and put the incident last weekend in perspective? Wheeler does have more goals than either Duncan or Oshie. Not saying he is better, but he obviously has a good deal of talent.

School - RPI

Wayne State: 53

Ohio State: 47

Rensselaer: 44

RIT: 40

Air Force: 36

Some cupcakes to pad the non-conference record and stats.

Fact: The Blues stated publicly they wanted Oshie to sign last summer. The Coyotes publicly stated they wanted Wheeler to stay in school.

Why? He's not good enough.

True, but also true is that there are first-rounders taken in years after his draft year who are now in "the show".

The phrase "one of the most overrated players in the WCHA" is where I take issue. I certainly would take those goals on my team. If you measure him in light of being a #5 overall pick, then maybe expectations are higher. I'll tell you one thing, he is the player I worry about the most on Minnesota when the Sioux play them.

The phrase "one of the most overrated player in the WCHA" is where I take issue. I certainly would take those goals on my team. If you measure him in light of being a #5 overall pick, then maybe expectations are higher. I'll tell you one thing, he is the player I worry about the most on Minnesota when the Sioux play them.

yes me too but we are discussing the overall picture on him being a top top pick. thats all. not saying hes not dangerous or not good becuase we know he is. just comparing him to others from where he was picked.

moving on

and recruit news out there :lol:

[unjustifiable smarminess mode on]If only he could have been developed like Matt Jones was, he'd be playing huge minutes for the 'Yotes by now! Oh, wait, what's that? Hmm... :D[unjustifiable smarminess mode off]

Really good point, since Jonesy was taken 5th overall just like Wheeler! Oh wait, what's that? He was taken 80th overall? Hmm...

The phrase "one of the most overrated players in the WCHA" is where I take issue. I certainly would take those goals on my team. If you measure him in light of being a #5 overall pick, then maybe expectations are higher. I'll tell you one thing, he is the player I worry about the most on Minnesota when the Sioux play them.

Very true, Wheeler is the best player on the Gophs hands down and he will sign after this season. He is a good player albeit a big time jerk in the eyes of Sioux fans.

Regarding Wheeler, the following is an assessment of other first round picks from 2004.

Blake wheeler was taken 5th overrall. He has scored 40 goals in his career for the Golden Gophers.

Alex Ovechkin, taken 1st that year, has scored 46 goals in the NHL so far this season! 144 total NHL goals

Evgeni Malkin, taken 2nd has scored 61 NHL goals

Drew Stafford, taken 13th, has notched 26 NHL goals ) 48 professional goals

Travis Zajac, taken 20th, has notched 29 NHL goals

My point is first round picks are supposed to be in the NHL producing 4 years after they are drafted. Wheeler is a fine college hockey player. He has some skill. He wouldn't make it on the bad boy Sioux, but he is perfect for the Pansies on Ice.

^To be fair, one should point out there are eleven other 2004 first round picks who've yet to score a point in the NHL. And, again in fairness, it should be noted that three of those scoreless picks are goaltenders.

Finally

^To be fair, one should point out there are eleven other 2004 first round picks who've yet to score a point in the NHL. And, again in fairness, it should be noted that three of those scoreless picks are goaltenders.

Finally

That's fair, so let's consider only the forwards. Of the forwards drafted in the first round of the 2004 NHL draft, only Blake Wheeler, Lauri Korpikoski and Kris Chucko have not seen an NHL game.

How is that Travis Zajac vs. Kris Chucko thing looking... :lol:

That's fair, so let's consider only the forwards. Of the forwards drafted in the first round of the 2004 NHL draft, only Blake Wheeler, Lauri Korpikoski and Kris Chucko have not seen an NHL game.

So this is like Jeopardy?

Um, who are two Gopher hockey players and my eighth-grade math teacher's daughter?

I've always been a critic of Wheeler. I don't think he should have been drafted in the top 5 or even the to 20. However, I do think he has pretty good skills for a big player. He's just got nothing to work with.

Bariball is having a sophomore slump. Carman is rusty. Kaufmann is feisty but not really a finisher. Wheeler can score, but he's more of a Toews type player (set up man, playmaker type though obviously not Toews type talent).

He'll eventually make the NHL, but it is going to be a long journey. I think Gretzky was wise to keep him in college and may even be wiser to keep him in Minny until he graduates.

Turris is a flight risk because of his mobility and puck handling skills. It won't be showcased in Wisconsin, but he's a great fit for the "new" NHL. Just look at Skille. The guy did next to nothing in Madison and now he's doing alright for the Hawks.

Please don't ever compare Blake Wheeler to Jonathan Toews.

riders06... you disappoint me because you didn't even finish reading the statement. Reread it and this time include the parentheses. Then make judgment.

Ok, ok, I'll break it down for you.

Wheeler on the Gophers has the same role Toews had for the Sioux. That of the playmaker who can score. Toews' play allowed Duncan and Oshie to score a ton and Toews was no slouch for finding the back of the twine either. The ROLE is the same. The TALENT is different.

riders06, hrkac... the two of you disappoint me because you didn't even finish reading the statement. Reread it and this time include the parentheses. Then make judgment.

Ok, ok, I'll break it down for you.

Wheeler on the Gophers has the same role Toews had for the Sioux. That of the playmaker who can score. Toews' play allowed Duncan and Oshie to score a ton and Toews was no slouch for finding the back of the twine either. The ROLE is the same. The TALENT is different.

notice the wink icon from hrkac, i think he was having fun with ya :lol: