SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Cenntenial H.S. star Tyler Pitlick will help fill out the USA U17 team that's travelling to Slovakia for the Vlad Dzurilla Tournament. His uncle played for the goofers, but they look pretty full for '09 now with the addition of Budish.

Gormley will probably be drafted pretty high by the QMJHL, but he has shown some interest in the college route in the past. I'm tempted to add him to my blog's list of '92s, but I probably won't add any Canadians until I see where they land in the CHL drafts.

Both Hounds stars are players I wouldn't put my hopes on. Gormley is great (so is the other guy). I'm banking that, if Gormley looks towards the NCAA, it is just to leverage a better deal with the CHL.

any hints? i suppose i can wait a few days if not...

I think we had a relly good hint several weeks ago about some kid visiting from Saskatchewan and that his parents had strong Eastern Canadian accents. The post stated how impressed the kid and his dad were with the REA, which is why I am thinking we may have attracted a really big name recruit like Gormley, who is from Prince Edward Island. My fingers are crossed.

Now that we have MacWilliam on board, I'm going to assume this leaves us with 6 for sure d-men for 08. Speaking that Chorney and Finley leave early, we would bring back Jones, Genoway, Lapoint, and Marto. We would then bring in Blood and MacWilliam. I think what will happen is instead of bringing in Gleason or Fienhage and making them sit, have them play juniors and get playing time (which is also what I was informed on). We would then recruit another d-man like Todd Alexander or Scott Foyt to be the 7th guy.

I think we had a relly good hint several weeks ago about some kid visiting from Saskatchewan and that his parents had strong Eastern Canadian accents. The post stated how impressed the kid and his dad were with the REA, which is why I am thinking we may have attracted a really big name recruit like Gormley, who is from Prince Edward Island. My fingers are crossed.

What position does Gormley play?

MacWilliam Commits to UND

Andrew MacWilliam heard all about the UND-Minnesota rivalry; and in December, he got to see it for himself.

In a year or two, the 6-foot-2, 215-pound defenseman from Calgary will be part of it.

MacWilliam, a physical, stay-at-home defenseman, gave a verbal commitment to UND this week. He will join the Sioux in fall 2008 or 2009.

Sorry didn't see this was posted in another thread. Edited by GeauxSioux

Now that we have MacWilliam on board, I'm going to assume this leaves us with 6 for sure d-men for 08. Speaking that Chorney and Finley leave early, we would bring back Jones, Genoway, Lapoint, and Marto. We would then bring in Blood and MacWilliam. I think what will happen is instead of bringing in Gleason or Fienhage and making them sit, have them play juniors and get playing time (which is also what I was informed on). We would then recruit another d-man like Todd Alexander or Scott Foyt to be the 7th guy.

Good pickup.

It looks to me they are done with D for 08 and 09. 3 will probably leave this year and Blood, McW and Finehage could come in 08 with Gleason spending a year at Jr. Jones is the only departure for next year (unless you think Genoway is a flight risk) and Gleason would come in his spot.

Finehage and Gleason are too good to stash for more than one year.

The Notre Dame Hounds midget team specializes in developing the young talent. Essentially, they are primarily bantam players "playing up" in the midget major league. The SMAAAHL league as a whole is a feeder for CHL teams and the SJHL. And while the SJHL isn't bad, it's not quite on par with the likes of the BCHL. So yes, keep your eyes on the NDH midget team for potential prodigies, but realize that they're likely CHL targets unless they've verbally expressed interest in colleges (ala Schwartz and Gormley).

Boy Gregoire is having a great season!! I think he is really going to be a good player. I think most people would say he is the best player in the USHL. His numbers are fantastic. I would like to see Cichy move up that leaders list.

anyone have info on ander lee from edina? 6'2, 200 lbs is a nice size forward. anyone else on that edina team wcha caliber besides budish and gleason?

i see marshall everson is going to harvard with the samaaaaaaaat kids as well from edina

wow, pretty solid team from the looks of it

Its interesting that everson is going to Harvard since my first impression of him is that he is a man amongst boys and doesn't really get it done based on a huge amount of hockey intelligence.

Guess he is book smart :angry: This impression is also based on one single showing so I'm probably way off. If I had to compare him to somebody, it would be a poor man's Owen Nolen.

Budish is another one who should be playing at a higher level. I think it only hurts guys like this when they play high school when they should be playing junior. I don't care if they are in grade 11 or not, they should play at a level that challenges them. Budish never seems to come off the ice. How could that be good for him?

Not too sure about his skating. Looks a little choppy to me. Will be interesting to see how he pans out on the big ice in Minnesota.

As for Lee, he appears to be pretty strong. He is going to get a concussion one of these days, however. The guy protects the puck by almost lying on the ice. Leverage is one thing, placing your head at a height that could get it lined up with a Rob Blake hip check is another.

Its interesting that everson is going to Harvard since my first impression of him is that he is a man amongst boys and doesn't really get it done based on a huge amount of hockey intelligence.

Guess he is book smart :angry: This impression is also based on one single showing so I'm probably way off. If I had to compare him to somebody, it would be a poor man's Owen Nolen.

Budish is another one who should be playing at a higher level. I think it only hurts guys like this when they play high school when they should be playing junior. I don't care if they are in grade 11 or not, they should play at a level that challenges them. Budish never seems to come off the ice. How could that be good for him?

Not too sure about his skating. Looks a little choppy to me. Will be interesting to see how he pans out on the big ice in Minnesota.

As for Lee, he appears to be pretty strong. He is going to get a concussion one of these days, however. The guy protects the puck by almost lying on the ice. Leverage is one thing, placing your head at a height that could get it lined up with a Rob Blake hip check is another.

It didn't hurt Oshie or Niskanen to play HS hockey. There are other examples as well. It not where you play - it's what you put into it.

It didn't hurt Oshie or Niskanen to play HS hockey. There are other examples as well. It not where you play - it's what you put into it.

I've always been a supporter of the junior system over the high school system, but you are right, there are kids that stay in high school and have no problem adjusting to the college game.

I've always been a supporter of the junior system over the high school system, but you are right, there are kids that stay in high school and have no problem adjusting to the college game.

My primary concern is that they are getting by on physical strength in most instances and not being challenged by other players who have similar physical strength. The game I watched, these guys could have held on to the puck for 3 or 4 minutes if they really wanted to. They probably wouldn't have done anything with it while they were doing it but that is not the point.

Oshie playing high school was probably not as big a deal because he was using his skill for the most part. The skill level in this league is surprisingly pretty decent. Big guys, using their bodies against smaller players may not translate as well at the next level. That is really all I am saying.

Plays for the Wellington Dukes in the Ontario Junior A league (not OHL). Has played on several AAA teams for Wisconsin and other all star teams.

Just to change speeds, I still think the Sioux should be looking at Wade Poplawski from Winnipeg. Smart 1986 born, mobile defencemen. Would be a shame to see him go elsewhere and show his stuff.

Bringing up a very old post of mine. Corndog, a la Corey Morbeck (1991) is starting to turn some heads. Would be funny to take a Wisco boy right out from underneath the Badgers.