SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I don't think the powers-that-be want their targets and likelihood of success to be public knowledge, or they already would be. We'll just have to take our little tidbits and hints, develop theories and toss names around, and wait for decisions to be made. I think most of the names have made an appearance here, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few we haven't talked about.

lets get ty gretzky signed in a sioux uniform and keep the shattuck pipeline rolling :love::D

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15551941.htm

Ty Gretzky, son of hockey's all-time greatest player, Wayne Gretzky, has enrolled at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault, Minn., to play hockey this season.

Ty is a 6-foot, 155-pound sophomore forward who will be able to play away from the pressure that would surround him in Phoenix, where his legendary father coaches the NHL's Coyotes.

"He's a nice kid and good student who just wants to play hockey," said J.P. Parise, the former North Star who recruits for Shattuck-St. Mary's. "We don't have names on the back of our jerseys, so he can live his own life here."

Wayne Gretzky was at Shattuck-St. Mary's the other day, walking from the hockey arena to the school, when he was spotted by some of the 50 young girls playing in the summer camp program.

"He was just like the Pied Piper," Parise said. "Wayne, who I would say has accomplished a couple of things in his life, was humble and pleasant and signed autographs for the kids. They loved it."

Based purely on being the leading scorer thus far in the BCHL at 17 years old, I wonder if the Sioux coaches are looking at Casey Pierro-Zabotel in their recruiting. Don't know if he has the intangibles the coaches are looking for or not, but let's face it, as fans without seeing someone play, most look at numbers alone. Have to admit, I'm no different, although doing well at a young age seems to catch my eye even more. I know its too early to draw too many conclusions, especially since guys like Trupp and Turris either haven't played, or not played many games.

Based purely on being the leading scorer thus far in the BCHL at 17 years old, I wonder if the Sioux coaches are looking at Casey Pierro-Zabotel in their recruiting. Don't know if he has the intangibles the coaches are looking for or not, but let's face it, as fans without seeing someone play, most look at numbers alone. Have to admit, I'm no different, although doing well at a young age seems to catch my eye even more.

He has already committed to Michigan Tech.

Just a hunch but I bet the Great ones son will play major junior. I am guessing this because he is so involved in hockey Canada and it would kind of be a slap in the face if his son played Tier 2 or college hockey in the States.

If his son did play college and came to UND I think the best part would be seeing Janet at the games.

Also it is public knowledge that Malone has narrowes it down to UND and Wisconsin. There was an article about it in the Madison Journal. and it was first reported by someone on this board. It would be great to land 2 big blue chip forwards for next year.

As for recruiting, the coaches see every team and every player in the USHL, BCHL, Alberta, Saskatchewan Minnesota high school elite league, all the USA hockey festivals, and SSM. so they pretty much see every player in midwestern U.S. and western Canada. This is there busy time of year with these leagues all starting and they are almost always on the road.

Think how nice it is for the team that lost to Holy Cross, they don't have to drive any further than 20 minutes to do all their recruiting.

I don't think Ty Gretzky would get that much college attention if his last name were spelled differently.

I had forgot to mention that I did see Dave Hakstol at the NAHL Showcase last Friday. A lot of coaches were hanging around up there because they could watch that, and then go down the road to watch the Elite League that weekend.

Just a hunch but I bet the Great ones son will play major junior. I am guessing this because he is so involved in hockey Canada and it would kind of be a slap in the face if his son played Tier 2 or college hockey in the States.

If his son did play college and came to UND I think the best part would be seeing Janet at the games.

Also it is public knowledge that Malone has narrowes it down to UND and Wisconsin. There was an article about it in the Madison Journal. and it was first reported by someone on this board. It would be great to land 2 big blue chip forwards for next year.

As for recruiting, the coaches see every team and every player in the USHL, BCHL, Alberta, Saskatchewan Minnesota high school elite league, all the USA hockey festivals, and SSM. so they pretty much see every player in midwestern U.S. and western Canada. This is there busy time of year with these leagues all starting and they are almost always on the road.

Think how nice it is for the team that lost to Holy Cross, they don't have to drive any further than 20 minutes to do all their recruiting.

I wouldn't make that assumption. Most ex NHL'ers kids go the college route and it doesn't matter if they are involved in Hockey Canada or not. Hockey Canada and the Major Junior Leagues are not the same thing.

You also forgot the Manitoba Junior League which is also part of Western Canada and has produced some of the most outstanding Sioux players in recent years. Toews is from Manitoba and so is Zajac. If they pick up some of the kids I have suggested in my posts there may be some more outstanding boys from Manitoba playing for the Sioux and winning some more National Championships.

shattuck 06/07 roster

http://www.s-sm.org/upper/athletics/roster...20Prep%20Hockey

good to see david toews back up, ben blood is a good sized d man (6'3 210lb). is jordan murray d-1 talent? if ayone out there knows. being bradys brother is there any interest at UND. i would assume if he is good enough.

always interesting to see the range of states represented.

minnesota

wisconsin

alaska

arizona

new jersey

washington

new york

colorado

virginia

manitoba

czech republic

I wouldn't make that assumption. Most ex NHL'ers kids go the college route and it doesn't matter if they are involved in Hockey Canada or not. Hockey Canada and the Major Junior Leagues are not the same thing.

Gretzky isn't your average ex NHLer though, he is Canadian hockey. If his son spurned the Canadian system to play in the US system, it would cause a huge uproar. Ultimately, it wouldn't matter much since Wayne could likely murder Stephen Harper on the steps of Parliament with a rusty spoon on Canada Day and get away with it, but still.

shattuck 06/07 roster

good to see david toews back up, ben blood is a good sized d man (6'3 210lb). is jordan murray d-1 talent? if ayone out there knows. being bradys brother is there any interest at UND. i would assume if he is good enough.

minnesota

alaska

arizona

new jersey

washington

new york

colorado

virginia

manitoba

czech republic

Wisconsin...

shattuck 06/07 roster

minnesota

alaska

arizona

new jersey

washington

new york

colorado

virginia

manitoba

czech republic

the czech republic and manitoba must have flown under my radar...were they admitted into the union recently?? :D:love:

the czech republic and manitoba must have flown under my radar...were they admitted into the union recently?? :D:love:

Dunno, but I'm interested to see Stepan Novotny play and hopefully read some scouting reports on him. Maybe we could get another player from that neighborhood, no? (Though I believe Spirko was Slovakian...)

Dunno, but I'm interested to see Stepan Novotny play and hopefully read some scouting reports on him. Maybe we could get another player from that neighborhood, no? (Though I believe Spirko was Slovakian...)

agreed, those foreigners are usually pretty solid players