SiouxSports.com Forum

West Chester visits UND

jimdahl

The result sure seems pretty ugly, but it didn't really seem like UND dominated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fairly even until the interception on WC's first possession of the second half (we still don't know who that was). Sioux dominated on both O and D the rest of the way.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to game today and thought UND turned in a very solid effort. West Chester is not a bad team. I was most impressed with the job the Sioux secondary did against the Golden Rams' highly touted receivers. Other than a few breakdowns in pass blocking and Bellmore missing some deep throws to open receivers, I was very satisfied with the effort.

West Chester was much better than I expected them to be. If they had a decent QB, the game would have been much more competetive. The guy they had couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. He had two great recievers and was overthrowing them all day. They had a pretty good running back too, though he had a stupid name. Osaige! Who names their kid Osaige? :D

I had the opportuntiy to go to the game and it sure felt good to watch Sioux football again.

Both QBs could dish the ball, but neither could throw it deep. No touch.

I guess their team probably racked up a lot of yards, but they sure had a lot of 3rd downs. And they converted. The good news is that our secondary was all over them. Not too many yards after the catch. When we did pressure the QB he struggled, but we didn't blitz much or have much pressure.

It was the opposite for our offense. We would move the ball good on one of the downs, but it didn't seem like we converted too many 3rd downs.

Very impressed with Beatty today. The guy gets hit and always gains two or three more yards. Dressler is that exciting player that you just hold your breath when watching. WC's punter did an excellent job with his kicks, so we didn't see too many returns.

I felt we were tentative on both sides of the ball and kept things a bit conservative. We will only get better, though. It's a great character building win.

This was a pretty good game today. We didn't dominate until the 4th quarter, but let's not forget that West Chester was one game away from the National Championship game last year.

The defense was opportunistic, the special teams were fantastic. Dressler's 92-yard return was a beautiful thing to watch. Glas' 47 yard FG would have been good from 55. The offense was adequate and efficient. The O-Line seemed to get pushed around a little bit, and Belmore wasn't close on any throw over 10 yards, but he managed the game well.

On a side note, the new NC banner surrounded by all of the NCC championship banners hanging in the Alerus looked great.

Anyone hear the attendance figures? It seemed like a decent crowd for a holiday weekend.

I must say I absolutely loved the new banners. The NC banner was awesome although I still don't understand why they don't also have a National Runner Up banner. I guess if we win a NC this year, they can put a runner up banner between the 2 NC banners. Looks great!!!!

The banners were very nice.

Anybody catch my avatar draining a bottle of Coke end of the third/beginning of the fourth?

She refused to look at the screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean when the student section started chanting "Chug, Chug, Chug, Chug" :D Definately a cutie.

In case anyone wants to watch, GVSU is playing online. I found that the 200%, not full screen gives me the best view without distorting the picture too much. In the 3rd right now. I believe it is still 40-10 GVSU.

Edit: Wooops, forgot to put the link in.

GVSU webcast

WCU was better than what that conference and region usually have to offer, which is not much. Good receivers, good running backs, some very athletic linebackers (sound familiar?). Teams with this much offensive talent will rack up yards, even on our defense. Remember the UC-Davis playoff game in 2001? We gave up more yards than our seasonal average, but we kept them off the scoreboard.

That being said, there are some things we need to work on. WCU's third down conversion rate was unacceptable. I lost count of how many third down's they converted, and some of them were long-distance situations. We also fell for some misdirection plays that a veteran defense like ours shouldn't fall for. Their lone scoring drive was way too easy for them, we didn't make them earn it.

Still, it's hard to complain about a 41-7 win. We've become spoiled over the last 4 years or so. We have a tough schedule this season, so we better get used to being in tough battles on both offense and defense. It's better to play quality competition like West Chester instead of Moorhead and Crookston. Playing and beating good teams will look good when playoff selection time rolls around.

It didn't look too promising for Strouth to be back anytime soon based upon the way he came off the field without putting any weight on his leg. I definitely think Beatty can do the job, if he can stay healthy. But if Strouth is out for an extended period of time, does that mean Armentrout or Brady get more carries, or might Dressler be shifted more to running back to fill the role Strouth did when Roland was the primary ball carrier, i.e. the lightning to go along with Beatty's thunder?

I've been very critical of Jeff Glas, so I'll be the first to say that the kid had a pretty darn good game yesterday. The kickoffs were great, and his field goals were no doubters. When he is consistent its nice to have a guy that can be good from 50 yards.

Big game at Winona next week. :D

I've been very critical of Jeff Glas, so I'll be the first to say that the kid had a pretty darn good game yesterday.  The kickoffs were great, and his field goals were no doubters.  When he is consistent its nice to have a guy that can be good from 50 yards. 

Big game at Winona next week. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Belmore had one of his better games. He had 3 passes dropped by receivers and other than the fumbles and two missed deep balls did a great job. UND's staff is so conservative it has to hard to get into any rythm with the passing game at times. The vertical passing game is there if they are willing to go to it. Maybe didn't have to because they got the run going and the spread short stuff was there.

I don't see attendance given anywhere ... anyone at the game care to estimate the crowd?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bismarck Tribune said 7,000... not sure where they got that from.

But, hey, that's not why I'm here. I have two questions.

1. Are UND football broadcasts archived anywhere?

2. JBB is up in arms about something AD Buning said about NDSU at half-time in one of the last two games. Anybody know what this could be?

JBB is up in arms about something AD Buning said about NDSU at half-time in one of the last two games. Anybody know what this could be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, but I can think of a lot of people who are up in arms about things JBB has said over the past several years. :D Seriously, I listened to the interview with Buning at halftime of the Central Washington game, and I didn't hear anything remotely derogatory about anyone or anything. I didn't have a radio with me at the game on Saturday, but if he was interviewed again, I highly doubt he'd have said anything un-diplomatic judging by what he's said in the media so far. To the best of my knowledge, archives of the radio broadcasts aren't available online.

The Bismarck Tribune said 7,000... not sure where they got that from.

But, hey, that's not why I'm here. I have two questions.

1. Are UND football broadcasts archived anywhere?

2. JBB is up in arms about something AD Buning said about NDSU at half-time in one of the last two games. Anybody know what this could be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard the broadcast, but I can't remember anything that would have offended anyone.