SiouxSports.com Forum

Dowzak Visiting Siouxland

Siouxman

From Research on Ice:

-It's quite clear where Shattuck St.Mary's defenseman Tysen Dowzak will be playing this coming season. The only question remaining is where the 6-5, 225 pound native of Fergus Falls, Minn., will be playing the year after that.

Born March 8 of 1988, Dowzak was Lincoln's first-round pick (9th overall) at this year's USHL draft, and he's all but certain to become a member of the Stars this fall. Now completing his junior year of high school, he'll be able to 'officially' speak with D-I school on July 1st, though he may well have made his D-I decision by then. If any school has the edge right now, it would have to be North Dakota. If the Fighting Sioux get Dowzak, they'll be garnering one of the toughest blueliners his age.

"He's obviously a big body, but he has a lot of range, and a wing span that can cover a lot of ice," says Stars coach/GM Steve Johnson, himself a North Dakota All-American back in 1988. "He really improved as a player this year. His skills got better, his skating got better, and he learned how to move the puck better. He's a punishing defensive defenseman and a guy who can make the right first pass to get you out of the zone and he shoots the puck pretty well."

Dowzak played on this year's Shattuck club which won the midget AAA national championships in Chicago.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Research on Ice:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds pretty promising. Hopefully he signs and can take over and be the punishing D we will need in a year with Greene and possibly Smaby being gone. With his addition, I love the mix of offensive and defensive defenseman. If Smaby is still around in a year that would be a pretty scary D corp (and I mean in a good way).

Anyone have any info as to who the better prospect is between Dozak and Finley. Sounds like the Sioux are recruiting both of them. I would think we would have a good shot at Dozak because of the SSM connection. I think Finley will probably end up with the Goofies but I hope not. If we could land both of them, talk about twin towers on defense. One is 6' 7 (Finley) and the other is 6' 5.

I haven't seen Dowzak play, but Finley has not impressed me. I don't know if he hasn't grown into his size or what, but he didn't stand out to me at all ( other than being 6-7) I wonder if people are drooling over him because he's so big? Like the saying goes "you can't teach size"

Anyone have any info as to who the better prospect is between Dozak and Finley.  Sounds like the Sioux are recruiting both of them.  I would think we would have a good shot at Dozak because of the SSM connection.  I think Finley will probably end up with the Goofies but I hope not.  If we could land both of them, talk about twin towers on defense.  One is 6' 7 (Finley) and the other is 6' 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have seen Dowzak play, but he was probably just named to the varsity team at that time (sophomore in high school) with Shattuck. He was big then. And, IIRC, he was the biggest player on the ice. I thought he was pretty solid, but the game I watched was very strictly officiated so it never got really physical so I don't think I saw him at his best.

As for Finley, I'm not sure where he'll end up. It seems to be that we are recruiting both in order to get one. I don't think we'll get both. I also don't think the Gophers have as much of an inside track as you all may think. Certainly, UMN is a top choice of Finley, but BU has been hitting him pretty hard. There may be more incentive for him there rather than at UMN. Lucia seems to be more interested in attracting offensive, mobile defenseman who can turn into good 2 way D. Finley does not fit that type. Sure, you've had DeMarchi and Taylor wearing Maroon and Gold, but there is a reason those types are few and far in between for the Gophers. Who knows? He is from Edina, a place where, according to some, you are expected to blindly root for the Gophers ;) .

It would really be nice to get both. Especially with Greene gone after next year (assuming he stays this year) and perhaps Smaby leaving early. Also, the question mark still looms over Bina. Both of these two would really solidify it without Smaby and Greene.

Anyways, that's my opinion.

Lucia seems to be more interested in attracting offensive, mobile defenseman who can turn into good 2 way D.  Finley does not fit that type.  Sure, you've had DeMarchi and Taylor wearing Maroon and Gold, but there is a reason those types are few and far in between for the Gophers.  Who knows?  He is from Edina, a place where, according to some, you are expected to blindly root for the Gophers  ;) .

Anyways, that's my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Lucia for some reason likes the defensemen that I would consider offensive/with the potential to be pylons, hence the name pylons. Last years two offensive freshmen defense had the ability to get caught up ice causing a scoring opportunity in their own end. I would refer to them as not being very good defensively, and not having any idea where the defensive zone is. These two rookies also got burned quite a few times during the WJC last winter too. So the Goofs can have that type of defensemen, it seems to work well when they play UND. Actually UND really hasn't had one like that since Roache left.

As for blind ignorance and allegiance to the Gophers I look at that as a character flaw.

I see the word pylon and have flashbacks to Aaron Schneekloth? ;):glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Schneekloth certainly pulled more Harrington's (on sparky) then I care to remember, althought the OT whiff in the national championship game is hard to forget.

Schneekloth certainly pulled more Harrington's (on sparky) then I care to remember, althought the OT whiff in the national championship game is hard to forget.

Can we talk about something more pleasant like a pulled groin, or a root canal. :glare:

I don't want to be a gopher apologist, but the gophers were kind of stuck with playing freshmen defensemen last year, and you are going to get inconsistency on the defensive end. It just didn't show up as much until late in the season when goals become a premium, and any mistake is magnified. Look no further than Kyle Radke for an example on the Sioux. To tell you the truth I think that Lucia realizes that they need a few more Jake Taylors on his defense, and I think the Sioux realize they need a few more Paul Martin type defensemen. It took Jordan Leopold and Paul Martin a year or two to adjust defensively to the league, but after that adjustment was made, their upside was a difference in the Gophers winning championships. I think both squads are looking to balance their defense, and I think the gophers are doing that by getting Erik Johnson and going after a Finley or Dowzak. On the other hand the Sioux are getting more players like Jake Marto and Brian Lee who have offensive talent.

I don't want to be a gopher apologist, but the gophers were kind of stuck with playing freshmen defensemen last year, and you are going to get inconsistency on the defensive end. It just didn't show up as much until late in the season when goals become a premium, and any mistake is magnified.  Look no further than Kyle Radke for an example on the Sioux.  To tell you the truth I think that Lucia realizes that they need a few more Jake Taylors on his defense, and I think the Sioux realize they need a few more Paul Martin type defensemen.  It took Jordan Leopold and Paul Martin a year or two to adjust defensively to the league, but after that adjustment was made, their upside was a difference in the Gophers winning championships.  I think both squads are looking to balance their defense, and I think the gophers are doing that by getting Erik Johnson and going after a Finley or Dowzak.  On the other hand the Sioux are getting more players like Jake Marto and Brian Lee who have offensive talent.

I tend to agree.

Another addition to the hockey lexicon!

Harringtonned

DEFINITION: (verb) walked, burned

EXAMPLE: The forward just harringtonned the defenseman and slipped the puck under the defenseless goalie!

SYNONYM: "How's she goin'"

It appears this is the week that UND is bringing in the "big boys" for visits.  Joe Finley, a 6'7", 240 lb. d-man from the Sioux Falls Stampede, visited UND this past Monday with his mother.  Hopefully, his mother has some influence over his decision as she had very positive things to say about UND and the visit.

So much better, in fact, that while only 17 years of age, Finley may well be suiting up for a D-I club this fall. A junior, he's been accelerating his studies while attending Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School this year, and come early June, he's hoping to achieve high school senior status. With some extra course work, he could easily find himself a high school graduate and ready for college by summer's end.

"The idea of accelerating had been on my mind for some time," says Finley, who played for two seasons at Edina High School under the guidance of Hornets' head coach and 14 year NHL veteran defenseman Curt Giles. "I know it takes mental maturity to do this, and I've been working hard in the classroom and also on the ice." 

What of Finley for 2005-06? There's plenty of possibilities. Minnesota and North Dakota are expressing heavy interest, as are eastern schools such as Boston University. And there's always a chance he could come back to Sioux Falls and play for Hartzell, someone for whom Finley has great respect.

For the moment, Finley isn't worried so much about when he'll get to D-I as he is about what he needs to do to be effective once he gets there. "All I want is to be a guy who plays and not sitting on the bench.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would think it would be very difficult for either North Dakota or Minnesota to bring in another defenseman this fall. UND has 3 freshmen defensemen coming in and each one of them will need to play when the season starts.

Minnesota must have about 8 or 9 returning defensemen on their roster right now. In the above quote, Finley said "All I want is to be a guy who plays and not sitting on the bench". If Finley was going to be one of the "guys playing and not sitting on the Gopher bench", at least one current player on their roster would have to go, and we all know that Lucia doesn't send excess bodies down the Mississippi. ;)

I have no idea what the defensive situation is at Boston U, but that could be a possibility.

I think it's unlikely we'll see both Finley and Dowzak on the same team. I've seen Dowzak play quite a few times, there are very few weaknesses in his game. I think he'll be a very good college player after he finishes his senior season at Lincoln.

I would think it would be very difficult for either North Dakota or Minnesota to bring in another defenseman this fall.  UND has 3 freshmen defensemen coming in and each one of them will need to play when the season starts. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Finley and Dowzak are in the same grade.

The way I understood Finley's situation from the article posted on this thread was that he was looking at going to college this fall but I read it was that there was a much better chance that he would be going in 06.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we'll see. He's listed under Heisenberg as a 2006 prospect so if he indeed accelerated his schooling, I would think it would have been reflected there, wouldn't it?

Well, we'll see. He's listed under Heisenberg as a 2006 prospect so if he indeed accelerated his schooling, I would think it would have been reflected there, wouldn't it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As an aside, it looks like Shattuck's Esposito has decided to go play Major Junior for the Quebec Remparts. I would be shocked if they traded up to get him with a first round draft pick unless they had some kind of a firm commitment. ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?id=126970

As an aside, it looks like Shattuck's Esposito has decided to go play Major Junior for the Quebec Remparts. I would be shocked if they traded up to get him with a first round draft pick unless they had some kind of a firm commitment. ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/news_story.asp?id=126970

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I thought Angelo was a junior, thus making him ineligible for NCAA play until 2006? Or did he accelerate and I didn't know about it (which wouldn't be hard. I didn't know Finley accelerated either.)

I never heard anything regarding Angelo's NCAA future. I've always heard about him going to the Q.

Ok, I thought Angelo was a junior, thus making him ineligible for NCAA play until 2006?  Or did he accelerate and I didn't know about it (which wouldn't be hard.  I didn't know Finley accelerated either.)

I never heard anything regarding Angelo's NCAA future.  I've always heard about him going to the Q.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, this story just confirms everything you believed to be true. However, several members in this chat have thought otherwise about his hockey intentions and which school he might wind up at in 2006. I only mentioned the story to help put any NCAA speculation to rest.

THe story does say this:

Esposito, a Montreal native who has said he will play U.S. college hockey next season.

''We're happy to select him, but now we have to sit down with the family to see if we can change their minds,'' said Roy. ''Hopefully, we can start talking to them next week.

Sounds like message board speculation was based on what Esposito said. He was a junior last year, however, and is almost a full year younger than Toews, who as we know accelerated to finish HS and head to GF this fall, at 17. I don't think Esposito is entering college this fall at 16, so, I'd guess Quebec will have a decent shot at getting him to play MJ, unless he plans to spend another year at SSM.

Linemate Chay Genoway is an '86 birthday, has apparently graduated from HS, and as far as I know hasn't committed? anywhere?