SiouxSports.com Forum

Dowzak Visiting Siouxland

Siouxman

A little birdie just informed me that Tysen Dowzak is visiting UND tomorrow (Friday May 27). Can't disclose exactly how this info came about, to protect the guilty, but that is the word. Here's hoping for a positive visit and another large defenseman headed to the Sioux in a year or two.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears this is the week that UND is bringing in the "big boys" for visits. Joe Finley, a 6'7", 240 lb. d-man from the Sioux Falls Stampede, visited UND this past Monday with his mother. Hopefully, his mother has some influence over his decision as she had very positive things to say about UND and the visit.

The following is a copy of the mass email I received today from Paul Shaheen at Research on Ice (for those interested, this is an free electronic newsletter that arrives several times per week and is filled with updates on college hockey recruits. There is a link at the bottom of Heisenberg's recruiting site to sign up for the newsletter):

Wing Span

The view from Chicago's Sears Tower is quite impressive.

The one from atop Joe Finley isn't bad either.

A sprawling 6-7 and 240 pounds--the former thanks to genetics, the latter from his tireless work in the weight room-- Finley, the Sioux Falls Stampede defenseman and Edina, MN., native, has all of college hockey abuzz.

"He is absolutely a fantastic prospect," says newly hired Stampede coach and GM Kevin Hartzell, who has seen plenty of Finley over the years while coaching on the Minnesota high school hockey scene. "It's really scary how good he could be. He has great hands, good feet, and he just keeps getting better."

So much better, in fact, that while only 17 years of age, Finley may well be suiting up for a D-I club this fall. A junior, he's been accelerating his studies while attending Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School this year, and come early June, he's hoping to achieve high school senior status. With some extra course work, he could easily find himself a high school graduate and ready for college by summer's end.

"The idea of accelerating had been on my mind for some time," says Finley, who played for two seasons at Edina High School under the guidance of Hornets' head coach and 14 year NHL veteran defenseman Curt Giles. "I know it takes mental maturity to do this, and I've been working hard in the classroom and also on the ice."

To this point, it's all been paying off. "He can play almost any type of game," Hartzell adds, "I've seen him play a very intimidating type of game, and I've also seen him more skilled, by moving his feet and really handling the puck."

While well aware of his talents, Finley immediately defers to those like Giles for helping him arrive at the rarefied spot on which he now stands.

"Coach Giles has such a great track record, I learned so much from a guy with that type of experience," says Finley. "He's a great teacher and friend of his players. He'd remind me that while I was 6-6 and 200 pounds (when I played for him), I was young and had a lot to learn. He coaches the physical type of game because that's how he played. Foot work, moving the puck, and making the right first pass. That's what he stressed."

What of Finley for 2005-06? There's plenty of possibilities. Minnesota and North Dakota are expressing heavy interest, as are eastern schools such as Boston University. And there's always a chance he could come back to Sioux Falls and play for Hartzell, someone for whom Finley has great respect.

"I haven't known him that well, but I'm getting to know him," Finley says, "like coach Giles, I've seen something out of the ordinary that sets him aside. He's passionate about doing what's best for his players. He has great support for me, and wants what's best for me, be it Sioux Falls or college next year."

For the moment, Finley isn't worried so much about when he'll get to D-I as he is about what he needs to do to be effective once he gets there. "All I want is to be a guy who plays and not sitting on the bench. Right now, all my focus is on continuing my development, because I know better years are only ahead of me. I just need to keep practicing, improving my foot work, and keep weight lifting."

Honest and direct is Finley's approach to the game. It's the same off the ice. "Hockey is a game of ups and downs. Staying level is something I think I'm known to do. If I'm up, I've got people to bring me back down, and when I'm down, I've no problem coming to a coach, like a man, and speaking openly, and hoping to get an honest answer. In the locker room," Finley continues, "I don't get too up or down, but if I see things going in the wrong direction, I'm not afraid to open my mouth, because accountability is something I value greatly."

Honesty, hard work and athleticism bleed through Finley's family. His father runs a construction company and coaches girls basketball, while his sister, Kelly Finley, just completed her freshman year of college basketball at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. Says Joe of his sister: "She's a brain, and she's a good athlete."

Sounds like brother and sister are a lot alike.

REGULAR SEASON

YEAR TEAM GP G A PTS +/- PIM PP SH

2004/2005 Sioux Falls 55 3 10 13 -18 181 2 0

How nice would it be to have the twin tower freshman Finley and Dowzak joining Chorney, Lee, Jones, Radke, Bina and possibly Smaby in a year. I would like that D corp with a great mix of size and offensive punch. Here hoping Hak and the boys can make this happen. Personally I think getting one of the two would be good. I also forgot about Marto. But maybe if we get these guys Marto comes in 07.

If Smaby or Bina come back that leaves 7 defenseman,what about Hardwick or Ammerman,hmmm.Personally I would like to see them bring in Hardwick I think he plays the game the way the Sioux play,hardnosed and not afraid to mix it up on either end.If being Beaversoned is losing a scholarship because you don't work or improve then by all means lets do that,no free rides on this carnival. :sad:

HARDWICK ?

From sources close to Warroad and the 2005 MN State Class A Champs ... Kyle Hardwick is being looked at very closely in a Harvard / Yale deal. He's an unbelievable student / athlete and will get the respect he deserves.

His goal is to become a Dr. and I know he will.

There is no way they could bring in Dowzak and Finley. They would have to pick one unless for the 06-07 season Greene would graduate, Smaby would leave and Bina isnt cleared to play. Im not sure that would happen either. I think Bina will take a season off than play again next year. Its a coin flip if Greene comes back. Smaby will more than likely leave after this season. There is a chance they would need both dman. I dont think Alexander will ever end up with any icetime but he could work his way up too.

There is no way they could bring in Dowzak and Finley. They would have to pick one unless for the 06-07 season Greene would graduate, Smaby would leave and Bina isnt cleared to play. Im not sure that would happen either. I think Bina will take a season off than play again next year. Its a coin flip if Greene comes back. Smaby will more than likely leave after this season. There is a chance they would need both dman. I dont think Alexander will ever end up with any icetime but he could work his way up too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I think we could use both of them, but I expect to only have a real chance at one of them.

I expect Finley to go to UMN or BU. BU's had a longer shot at him. Dowczak I think we could actually get thanks to Smaby, Toews, and the other Shattuck folks.

I'd LOVE to get both and I do believe we could fit both on our roster, but IMAO (In My Amateur Opinion), I believe we only have a shot at one.

2004-05. A season of heart.Thanks Jake, Brian, Nick, Quinn, Colby, Matt, James, Rory and Andy. May life bring you as much joy as you've allowed me over the four years of your Fighting Sioux careers

This is great, agin thanks to the snior class for 4 years of dedication.

Did anybody hear how Tysen's visit went? I hope he fell in love with the school/arena when he saw it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know how it went, but he has seen it and played here before with Shattuck. Fergus Falls is big Gopher country and he has Gopher FB blood in the family. It will be his former Shattuck teamates and the coaches more than the arena to get him over those yellow and marroon ties but it sure helps to have the arena.

2004-05. A season of heart.Thanks Jake, Brian, Nick, Quinn, Colby, Matt, James, Rory and Andy. May life bring you as much joy as you've allowed me over the four years of your Fighting Sioux careers

This is great,  agin thanks to the snior class for 4 years of dedication.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gee, that sounds familiar. :sad:

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4236

There are some Fungas Flats types who manage to stave off maroon-itis.  Hopefully Dowzak is one of them.

:sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on with that. There are a number of Fergus Falls cars (mine included) with season ticketholders that I see headed up to REA for Sioux games. And the local paper reports almost as much on the Sioux as the Gophers for hockey.

One of my biggest chuckles a few months ago was when a telemarketer called to offer me a Gopher credit card. Just couldn't understand how someone living in MN could not root for the Gophers. He did admit that I was not the only one to turn it down. Following our very interesting discussion, I am only slightly optimistic that he has a much broader perspective on the world than rodentitis.

I started this thread, but haven't been able to get an update on the visit. My little birdie was on the road this weekend, but when he gets back I will see if he can find out how the visit went.