SiouxSports.com Forum

Dowzak Visiting Siouxland

Siouxman

Sprig, I think you're right about Espo's acceleration timetable. I heard that the younger Genoway will try to play a year in a Canadian junior league and see where things sit then. I imagine he'll be on the Sioux's radar screen during that time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the story on Esposito from Research on Ice:

The day's second biggest story, yet arguably the most important as far as folks south of the border are concerned, was the Quebec Remparts selection of Shattuck St. Mary's forward Angelo Esposito, the '89 from Montreal about whom there's been so much buzz over the last few months. Standing 6-1 and 170 pounds, Esposito by all accounts has been grappling with whether to play Major A or return to the states to keep his NCAA options open.

Reparts co-owner Patrick Roy is trying to make Esposito's decision much easier however.

The former NHL record setting-goaltender who serves as the Remparts' Vice-President and Director of Hockey Operations, Roy helped orchestrate a massive three-way draft day trade which allowed Quebec to move up from the 15th position to nab Esposito at 11th overall. Second, ROI has it on good authority that the Remparts will be making, or have already made, a huge cash offer to Esposito and his family to lure him away from NCAA D-I. One source told us the offer could easily be in the high six figure category. 

"Esposito and his family haven't made their final decision, but we're positive he's going to come," said Roy to the Halifax Herald. "We would not have taken him if we were not positive. But there's still a long way to go before he comes to Quebec."

Though Esposito has said publically his heart is set on D-I (Boston University and New Hampshire are the lead candidates), things may well change within the next 30 days.

More from ROI on the Esposito soap opera:

On goes the saga of Angelo Esposito, the 16 year-old Montreal native and Shattuck St. Mary's star forward drafted 11th overall on Saturday by the QMJHL's Quebec Remparts, a franchise co-owned by former Colorado Avalanche goaltender Patrick Roy.

Publicly, Esposito and his father, John Esposito-a respected business man in the Montreal area who owns a chain of grocery stores-have been saying the balance of student athleticism the NCAA has to offer has been and will continue to be their preferred choice. Said John Esposito to Quebec City's Le Soleil on Monday: "''I'm sad for Mr. Roy (Patrick) because he lost a first round pick. I'm sure he will call us soon but I won't have much to say to him. Angelo's and our position remains the same, he prefers the studies way. He has decided since a certain amount of time that he would study at university...''He tasted the studies in Faribault, lived the campus life and has been really satisfied. Still, he has a year to pass in Shattuck then he will choose between Boston Univeristy and the University of New Hampshire."

Despite Mr. Esposito's quite unequivocal comments, word is Roy and company are pressing on in an attempt to win the family over. Though unsubstantiated, the buzz ROI has heard over the last 48 hours suggests Esposito could still be sold on the Remparts should they offer Angelo a significant financial package (perhaps as much as $500,000 per year), and guarantee him a four-year education no matter what happens to him come his NHL draft year in 2007. Typically, CHL clubs guarantee four years of education to a player of Esposito's statute, unless he were to become a high NHL draft pick or in fact sign a pro contract.

Wow. UNH or BU got a great recruit! I'm surprised BC is out of the mix. BC has been one of the few that has succeeded in getting SSM talent.

Truthfully, if he was to go out east, I'd rather him choose Maine. But, then again, I'm not in that position. ;)