SiouxSports.com Forum

T.J. Oshie

Yttrium

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'd rather see Oshie play 2 years in the USHL.  Think how good he'd be then!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if your serious on that or not, but the problem then is the kid will leave early for another level. Oshie dream is to get to the NHL or whatever league there is. He won't stay in school any longer than he has to. I think your better to get him early where you will get a minimum of 2-3 years and probaly 4 years.

The Sicatoka posted a trivia question about retired Sioux jersey numbers. Here's his answer from May 6, 2002:

Number 12: Terry Casey.

He played three seasons (63-64, 64-65, 65-66) and is tied with Marc Chorney and Curtis Murphy (for 46th) in all time UND scoring with 88 games, 57 goals, 61 assists, for 118 points.

He was an All-American in the 1965-66 season with a 26/28/54 line in 30 games.

He died in a car crash and no one has worn number 12 for the Fighting Sioux hockey team since.

Thanks for making me look good PCM. :D

To be more clear I should have said:

He was a team captain and died in a car crash near his hometown in Montana, yes, Montana, before his senior year and no one has worn number 12 for the Fighting Sioux mens hockey team since.

I don't know if your serious on that or not, but the problem then is the kid will leave early for another level. Oshie dream is to get to the NHL or whatever league there is. He won't stay in school any longer than he has to. I think your better to get him early where you will get a minimum of 2-3 years and probaly 4 years.

wasn't serious

What a quick search turned up for 2004-05 jersey numbers for projected or reported incoming recruits (this fall or next*):

Alexander 2

Chorney 4

Marto 4*

Jones 6

Toews 9

Watkins 9

Martens 14

Miller 15

Oshie 19*

Duncan 22

Lee 22 (2 with USA)

Kozek 26

VandeVelde 26*

Walski 30

EDIT: Added Alexander per comment by jk. :D

Nicely done, The Sicatoka. I had done the work and was about to type it up when I checked one last time, and you had beat me to it. Seeing Walski in your post reminded me to check Alexander, who wore #2 last year for the Jets.

The Sicatoka posted a trivia question about retired Sioux jersey numbers. Here's his answer from May 6, 2002:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There used to be display for Casey at the Old Engelstad, along with one for Dave Christian, Tony Hrkac and the friendship broom. However all of these items seemed to have disappeared when the new arena was built. There should most definitely be a banner for Casey's #12 much like the 23 banner. Another interesting tidbit about Casey is that he came from the hockey hotbed of Great Falls, Montana.

Another interesting point of information about Terry Casey: Not only was he from Great Falls, Montana............he was a former figure skater. He was an outstanding hockey player, and could really fly on the ice. I had the pleasure of watching him play back in the 60's in the Real Old Barn (the quonset).

There used to be display for Casey at the Old Engelstad, along with one for Dave Christian, Tony Hrkac and the friendship broom.  However all of these items seemed to have disappeared when the new arena was built. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe they are displayed in the common area near the hockey coaches' offices.

There used to be display for Casey at the Old Engelstad, along with one for Dave Christian, Tony Hrkac .... 

I recall the one for Casey at old REA. Is it with his All-American photo in new REA? (Yes, Terry Casey was a current All-American at the time of his death.)

Christian is pretty well remembered in the new REA if you go up the south escalator (wall-sized photo). Tony has a display in the lobby (Hobey).

There used to be display for Casey at the Old Engelstad, along with one for Dave Christian, Tony Hrkac and the friendship broom. However all of these items seemed to have disappeared when the new arena was built. There should most definitely be a banner for Casey's #12 much like the 23 banner. Another interesting tidbit about Casey is that he came from the hockey hotbed of Great Falls, Montana.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell is a friendship broom?

Another interesting point of information about Terry Casey:  Not only was he from Great Falls, Montana............he was a former figure skater.  He was an outstanding hockey player, and could really fly on the ice.  I had the pleasure of watching him play back in the 60's in the Real Old Barn (the quonset).

Sounds like the movie, The Cutting Edge with DB Sweeney, except opposite. :D

# 16 is typically a number that a forward would wear but who knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but if it worked for his dad becoming an All-American defenseman, maybe the coaches wouldn't have a problem with it. There seems to be a lot of #'s that seem strange for the position around these days.

Oshie will bring many valauble intangibles to the Sioux. He's nearly 6'0" now and packing on mass tuning up for the 2005 NHL Combine Camp in Toronto on June 4-5, 2005 and the 2005-06 WCHA season.

He brings with him 2 MN State Championships where he helped the Warroad Warriors to 3-consecutive trips to the Xcel Energy Center as the Warriors finished 85-5-3 during his tenure. Among those stats one is startling ... they went 38-0-0 vs. Section 8A teams. Perhaps one of the toughtest Sections in MN.

He also leaves Warroad as their All-Time Leading Scorer w/ 241 points in 3 seasons. That's quite an accomplishment in Hockeytown USA. Also, Seattle Junior Hockey Association named him their "Player of the Decade" during a ceremony in April. He would have attended but was playing that night for the Sioux Falls Stampede.

Make no mistake about it this kid is a player. Congatulations and best of luck to you TJ, here's to a great career as a "Fighting Sioux". As I have said already, can't wait to see him in a sioux jersey this fall, he will be here 100% sure on that.