SiouxSports.com Forum

T.J. Oshie

Yttrium

THETRIOUXPER .. it sounds like you know this kid pretty well. In Warroad, we may not see a kid like this again for generations. He filled the arena's these past 3 years and will leave a legend like his grandfather Buster Oshie, great uncle Max Oshie and cousin Henry Boucha.

His Class of 2005 teammates will also go down as perhaps the greatest Warrior team ever and the only one to go unfeated at 29-0-2.

The fit is perfect for the Sioux and Oshie. He's a leader and tremendous competitor. He will make the players around him better and thus him better too playing w/ the caliber of talent the Fighting Sioux have.

He's won a National Championship as a USA Hockey InLine player for the Washington Jr. Stars last summer in Atlanta. Plus another State Championship this year for Warroad.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yttrium, lets just say I have a few ties to Warroad, and have followed there hockey team for the last 3 years, lot's of good players have gone through there, hope to see a few more of them playing in D1, it was definitely a wild ride with those kids last year, the Moorhead game, and the state title game, my heart stopped a few times.

Again, can't wait till TJ is here this fall, as well as the other recruits we got coming in, best of luck to all of them. The worst thing about having an elite program is good players leaving early, the best thing is the great talent that keeps coming in. so here's looking forward to another great season, can't wait till fall.

Again, can't wait till TJ is here this fall, as well as the other recruits we got coming in, best of luck to all of them.  The worst thing about having an elite program is good players leaving early, the best thing is the great talent that keeps coming in.  so here's looking forward to another great season, can't wait till fall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trioup,

You're my new Source. The guy I had been relying on for "inside" information assured me that Bollinger was a lock for the AD, the Italian was a lock for the Pope, and Bellamy Road was a lock for the derby. He also assures me that Greene will be back next season so let me be the first to say...... Good luck in the NHL Matt and thanks for the memories.

What a quick search turned up for 2004-05 jersey numbers for projected or reported incoming recruits (this fall or next*):

Alexander 2

Chorney 4

Marto 4*

Jones 6

Toews 9

Watkins 9

Martens 14

Miller 15

Oshie 19*

Duncan 22

Lee 22 (2 with USA)

Kozek 26

VandeVelde 26*

Walski 30

EDIT: Added Alexander per comment by jk. :sad:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Radkey wears 26, so unless you know something I don't, which is possible, I say they will have to pick new numbers.

Goon, buddy, slow down and read: Those are the numbers those players wore on their teams last season.

I'm not picking Alexander to take a number off Greene's back nor am I picking Miller taking one from Zajac. And woe be to Oshie if he tries to take 19 from where it is. (Just ask Peluso at Duluth.)

Along those same lines Kozek or Vandevelde won't get 26 unless the present wearer gives it up. (Remember, Radke wore 12 the year before UND and he traditionally can't wear that for the Sioux: RIP Terry Casey.)

Goon, buddy, slow down and read: Those are the numbers those players wore on their teams last season.

I'm not picking Alexander to take a number off Greene's back nor am I picking Miller taking one from Zajac. And woe be to Oshie if he tries to take 19 from where it is. (Just ask Peluso at Duluth.)

Along those same lines Kozek or Vandevelde won't get 26 unless the present wearer gives it up. (Remember, Radke wore 12 the year before UND and he traditionally can't wear that for the Sioux: RIP Terry Casey.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I know I was just fishing to see if anyone knew for sure if Radke was coming back. I remember some say he might not come back next season.

It will be interesting to see how Oshie does. A very young team for next year just got even younger with Oshie replacing Murray. You would think prospects for the year after next would look great at forward with Prpich as the only senior but I am sure Zajac and Stafford will continue the trend and jump ship after this season. Is it just me, but it sure seems like the Sioux have more early defections that any other team in the WCHA, maybe that speaks to the talent level....or maybe a lack of loyalty.

It will be interesting to see how Oshie does.  A very young team for next year just got even younger with Oshie replacing Murray.  You would think prospects for the year after next would look great at forward with Prpich as the only senior but I am sure Zajac and Stafford will continue the trend and jump ship after this season.  Is it just me, but it sure seems like the Sioux have more early defections that any other team in the WCHA, maybe that speaks to the talent level....or maybe a lack of loyalty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think in more recent years early defections have occured throughout college hockey. I know back when Gino started and built those good teams he told recruits to come and give the Sioux a good year or two, and he'd be happy to wish them well when they moved on the pro hockey. Blais seemed to continue this.

The difference recently is, that almost all early defections from the Sioux came after an NCAA championship. That doesn't seem to make a difference any longer. Maybe it just happened that those good Sioux teams of the past finished with a championship, where recently they've fallen short.

This post has two parts:

1. Reflecting back to earlier posts, I will now say welcome to UND, TJ! It's now official and so I can believe it. I do believe that a year in the USHL would have been nice but, with Murray's leaving (whether it is the reason or not for TJ's coming doesn't matter), TJ's arrival was a necessity.

2. Regarding early departures: I think this is a two-edged sword. It is unrealistic, unfortunately, for the best hockey players to spend all four years or, nowadays, even 3 years at a DI setting anymore. They are too high profile and the money that used to be the potential after graduation is becoming a reality after a certain point for a limited time only (hence, get it while you can mentalities). Though I would love to have the Gino composed teams that stay 4 years or until an NC is won, we wouldn't be able to do much with that. I fear that, though we would get the better of those character players, we'd never really be that scary in the post season. It is the perspective of the administration, alumni, and the fans that the hockey team is there to win National Championships. It builds prestige, tradition, and notoriety (and revenues). Therefore, Hakstol and whomever will coach the Sioux after Hak, will take the best recruits out there, flight risk or not. No way would we have gotten past top flight players (Zach Parise, Matt Commodore, Curtis Murphy, Bryan Lundbohm, Travis Roche, Ryan Bayda, Brady Murray) or current top flight players (Toews, Lee, Stafford, Greene, Smaby, Zajac) if we were looking for only 4 year or even only 3 year players.

This post has two parts:

1.  Reflecting back to earlier posts, I will now say welcome to UND, TJ!  It's now official and so I can believe it.  I do believe that a year in the USHL would have been nice but, with Murray's leaving (whether it is the reason or not for TJ's coming doesn't matter), TJ's arrival was a necessity.

2.  Regarding early departures:  I think this is a two-edged sword.  It is unrealistic, unfortunately, for the best hockey players to spend all four years or, nowadays, even 3 years at a DI setting anymore.  They are too high profile and the money that used to be the potential after graduation is becoming a reality after a certain point for a limited time only (hence, get it while you can mentalities).  Though I would love to have the Gino composed teams that stay 4 years or until an NC is won, we wouldn't be able to do much with that.  I fear that, though we would get the better of those character players, we'd never really be that scary in the post season.  It is the perspective of the administration, alumni, and the fans that the hockey team is there to win National Championships.  It builds prestige, tradition, and notoriety (and revenues).  Therefore, Hakstol and whomever will coach the Sioux after Hak, will take the best recruits out there, flight risk or not.  No way would we have gotten past top flight players (Zach Parise, Matt Commodore, Curtis Murphy, Bryan Lundbohm, Travis Roche, Ryan Bayda, Brady Murray) or current top flight players (Toews, Lee, Stafford, Greene, Smaby, Zajac) if we were looking for only 4 year or even only 3 year players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Oshie could only benefit from a year in the USHL but he will have to mature quickly this summer and fall. He should do fine in a 3rd of 4 line role. This class of having 12 players is insane. A bulge class like that is hard for a couple years on the team. Hopefully they do better than 2001-02 team.

The early departures always take me off guard. I hate to see players deflect from college to not go straight to the nhl. They have to play in the AHL and maybe not make it to the NHL ever. Roche would be a good example, but if the NHL comes back he should get his shot. I am not sure Brady will make that good of a pro because of his size but hes made it this far hopefully he proves me wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the topic of new recruits and jersey numbers. If I were a betting man I might want to put some money on TJ wearing the lucky #7 jersey next year, and no surprise but I would expect Mr. Lee to have the double deuces on his back. No speculation beyond that as far as other recruits go.

Back to the topic of new recruits and jersey numbers.  If I were a betting man I might want to put some money on TJ wearing the lucky #7 jersey next year, and no surprise but I would expect Mr. Lee to have the double deuces on his back.  No speculation beyond that as far as other recruits go.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see Oshie going after #9 rather than #7. But I believe a few other freshman might have worn #9 on their previous teams. I think Duncan did but not sure and I'm too lazy to look.

Looking into my crystal ball i would say that the first 4 on your list are probably dead on there rainman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most teams let the most senior (age wise) players select their number first.....It will boil down to whether that number is still availble when it is his time to select!!

#7 has not been worn for a whole season already, which upper class man would want to change their number now, most of them already have an established jersey #. Besides I don't care if you believe me or not, wait till Oct. then and you will find out for sure, as I have a long and storied history of spewing falshoods on this board.

What these guys wore last season (wherever they played):

Alexander 2

Chorney 4

Marto 4*

Jones 6

Toews 9

Watkins 9

Martens 14

Miller 15

Oshie 19*

Duncan 22

Lee 22 (2 with USA)

Kozek 26

VandeVelde 26*

Walski 30

Open Sioux jersey numbers:

3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 20, 22, 25, 29, 30, 31, 35.

Looks like a connect the dots game to me. :silly:

PS - Using the relatives or family angle: dad Marc Chorney wore 16, brother Matt Jones wore 3, uncle Ervin Martens wore 21 and 17, and dad Bob Duncan wore 11.

Im not sure if alexander and lee put together could drop the gloves and have a chance against greene for that #2 :silly::blush: lee should get 22.

lets just hope greene will be in that green and white sweater next season!!!!!

also the next guy who takes on #7 better be a sniper.....

Well AZSIOUX like the scouting reports have said, TJ can bring any game you want. I recall a post I think JLOOS had about a goal he scored last year in Elite league play at the Ralph last Oct. Shorthanded with two guys hanging on his back he took them hard to the net and top-shelfed a snap shot over the goalies shoulder, how he even got a shot off was beyond me, I was there, can he snipe one, oh yeah! Besides it's a number, you make it your own when you wear it.