SiouxSports.com Forum

T.J. Oshie

Yttrium

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Warroad's T.J. Oshie will be playing for the Fighting Sioux for the 2005-06 season.  He will be attending the NHL Combine Camp in June w/ Brian Lee and Chris Vandevelde.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So is this an official press release? :D:D

Yttrium has had solid info on Oshie going back to the beginning, so I personally consider it to be prettly likely. Thanks for the info, and good luck to Oshie. I think he's going to turn into a terrific player: a rare combination of strength and hands. Just needs to get a little quicker IMO.

I guess i didn't know what I was talking about last week huh? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believed you because I've been hearing the same thing, although not from any official sources.

I was writing this posting epiphany and when I finally post it, this thread is here. Funny considering ...

As far as Oshie, I've believed all along that he, and Vandevelde, and now Marto, are "early departure" insurance. If we see Oshie this fall (my guess he'd be first one in) I'd guess it's because a name in my list of forwards isn't at UND this fall. My guess at who that could be might surprise some folks (and I really have nothing to base it on other than a feeling).

If Oshie really is coming in this fall, I'd guess, as they say in horse racing, it's by a shoulder.

Maybe shoulder surgery :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could it be that Brad Miller will not be coming in for this year, it can't be Brady. Those are the only two "shoulders" I know of. If true, I find this to be an unexpected development, Oshie has great potential but I think he is being rushed a little bit much by making the jump right to the WCHA. Not a whole lot of players have great success with that jump, it is becoming more and more rare these days.

Could it be that Brad Miller will not be coming in for this year, it can't be Brady. Those are the only two "shoulders" I know of. If true, I find this to be an unexpected development, Oshie has great potential but I think he is being rushed a little bit much by making the jump right to the WCHA. Not a whole lot of players have great success with that jump, it is becoming more and more rare these days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But did you see the beautiful assist he made on the winning goal in overtime for the state championship?:D Looked to me to the same kind of heart and soul that ZP played with here for two years.

I do not think it is the wisest thing to bring Oshie in next year but what do I know. The talent is there but a year in the USHL is really needed in my opinion. I don't quite understand this one but that is why I don't make the decisions but just get to criticize them on SS.com!!

If there is a possibility that Oshie might leave early at some point, then I hope they take him ASAP. On the other hand if that isn't likely to happen, then an extra year of development would be great. I know Ryan Potulny basically gave up a year of eligibility to play in the playoffs for the gophers, probably in anticipation that he wouldn't be there for five years. Don't know how high the NHL is on him, but it does say his stock is rising.

I sure hope he will be a good player next year for the Sioux. But I still think that if we need another forward that Vandevelde is more ready than Oshie. He is bigger and a better skater. I personally don't think either is ready for the WCHA but if I had to chose one it would be Vandevelde. This is based on me seeing quite a bit of Oshie and only four games of Vandevelde but he impressed me alot more at the State tourney than Oshie did.

I'm not trying to get into a head-to-head comparison of the two, because they are both very talented players, otherwise they wouldn't be coming here. I have however followed Oshie over the last three years and have seen him play many times. Last year he was mugged, clutched grabbed and roughed up almost every night out, he handled the situation with alot of class and maturity, and managed to score more points than any one in the state of MN. if the coaching staff feels he's ready to come in this fall, that's all I need to be convinced. I think Hack and Co. have tons of credibility especially after they way they pulled off the great season they had.

I'm one of those, like Sic, who believe that, with Martens walking on, in order for Oshie to come a year early, one of our forwards must be leaving. Here are unlikely yet possible reasons:

1. <hinted>

2. Brad Miller is staying in the USHL

3. Bina is giving up his scholarship while he's on medical redshirt

4. Drew Stafford just signed with Buffalo

5. Lee Marvin isn't returning to the team

6. Kaip isn't returning to the team.

Now, apart from #1 and maybe #2, the rest is horsecrap. Ergo, I'll wait until it is officially announced before I welcome him early.

I'm one of those, like Sic, who believe that, with Martens walking on, in order for Oshie to come a year early, one of our forwards must be leaving.  Here are unlikely yet possible reasons:

1.  <hinted>

2.  Brad Miller is staying in the USHL

3.  Bina is giving up his scholarship while he's on medical redshirt

4.  Drew Stafford just signed with Buffalo

5.  Lee Marvin isn't returning to the team

6.  Kaip isn't returning to the team.

Now, apart from #1 and maybe #2, the rest is horsecrap.  Ergo, I'll wait until it is officially announced before I welcome him early.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Drew Stafford can't sign with Buffalo, because there is no CBA.