SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning is new AD

PCM

However, my favorite is this:

Sure Gene. Poor ol' 'SU got its little feelings hurt by big, bad UND, again. And the home gates must have been spectacular for 2004-05, and I'm sure those travel expenses to the middle of nowhere came in well below budget, even in the face of rising fuel prices. Go back to the Turf and try another Power Hour. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Gene's budget starts seeing red as is likely this coming year, have to believe his coaches' "feelings" will take a back seat to the pocketbook.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, McFeely is limiting his knowledge input to Bisonville.com. ;) Hard to believe he could be so far off in his read of popular sentiment (Bison/Sioux games) or fact (sure, Kupchella may be anti-DI as it stands now - but add a conference and finances to that equation and Kup will likely be a little more flexible.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought all we have heard recently was that the AC wanted to play UND and UND was afraid. Taylor must not have been straight with the media or fans. Remember he was at Navy and Buning is a West Pointer. UND won't play the AC until it will have no adverse affect on playoff opportunites. If the roles were reversed I would certainly want to play them with a 25 scholarship advantage. They wouldn't want to play us. UND doesn't need them anymore than they need us.

At some point in time, the rivalry will resume on an even playing field and it will be more intense because of this. Taylor should be smart enough to keep his comments like that out of McFly's column even if it is true. That is not going to open up communication to renew the rivalry. However, thanks to McFly, we can point out to our s&!t kicking friends from the south, that when they are sitting outside their home at the trailer park, cleaning the crap off of their boots wondering why their Bison are not getting beat by the Sioux this year, that it is Taylor and the AC coaches who don't wish to play UND!

"I think it's an absolute wonderful representation of a proud tradition, one that honors a people and their contribution and their fighting spirit. I think the school has done a wonderful job in passing that on to their student athletes." -- Tom Buning, speaking about the Fighting Sioux moniker and logo.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=91434

I wish Mr Buning all the luck in the world, but when you are coming into a dept that is 300.000.00 over budget and the club that helps support's that dept is in trouble also he better be a good fundraiser.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does this mean DFS? I've not heard that the Fighting Sioux Club is in money trouble. Please explain.

As well, Kupchella seems to paying attention to the D1 issue, more than Chaps ever did before he dove into the deep end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"I recognize that we may have to make this move even though, ultimately, it may make no otherwise logical or financial sense to do so."

-Charles Kupchella,UND president

OK... ;)

And the home gates must have been spectacular for 2004-05,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jeno asked if there were particular areas where revenue fell short. Roger Thomas replied that ticket sales for basketball and men

"I recognize that we may have to make this move even though, ultimately, it may make no otherwise logical or financial sense to do so."

-Charles Kupchella,UND president

OK... ;)

Okay I realize you're slow, but do try to keep up.

McFool said

"Buning's president, Charles Kupchella, outwardly has no interest in Division I and his is the final say. Ditto some of his coaches. And boosters."
I said
"As well, Kupchella seems to paying attention to the D1 issue, more than Chaps ever did before he dove into the deep end."

Kupchella said

The outline for the UND Strategic Plan from his office says
" Continue to explore optimal NCAA classification positioning for UND through the establishment of a task group to explore (1) strategies for influencing the improvement of the NCAA classification system, e.g., extending the opportunity for schools to split Division I and Division II levels of different sports as we do now in hockey, and (2) explore rationale, opportunity, and financial means to move all UND athletic programs to the Division I level as currently organized.

For Chaps' lapdog to write that crap goes against what was quoted here, and elsewhere. Kupchella may not have drunk the "D1 Kool-Aid" yet, but it's disengenuous to presume he has no interest in the move. Then again, considering the source, I can't say I'm surprised. Moreover, with regard to the "deep end" comment, it is readily apparent that 'SU disregarded the Carr Report it commissioned, as it flounders for conference affiliations, scheduling, etc. but I'm sure the UND Admins appreciate the free roadmap.

BTW: Nothing like some dumb comments from the Stream Yellow crowd to stop Sioux fans' infighting. ;)

Okay I realize you're slow, but do try to keep up. 

McFool said 

I said

Kupchella said

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So... paying attention means to an issue means making a move even though it does not make sense to do so?

The outline for the UND Strategic Plan from his office says

For Chaps' lapdog to write that crap goes against what was quoted here, and elsewhere. Kupchella may not have drunk the "D1 Kool-Aid" yet, but it's disengenuous to presume he has no interest in the move. Then again, considering the source, I can't say I'm surprised.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

McFeely is admittedly just stirring the pot- but to call him a lapdog would be a stretch as he has written numerous against the move and critical of NDSU.

Moreover, with regard to the "deep end" comment, it is readily apparent that 'SU disregarded the Carr Report it commissioned, as it flounders for conference affiliations, scheduling, etc. but I'm sure the UND Admins appreciate the free roadmap. BTW:  Nothing like some dumb comments from the Stream Yellow crowd to stop Sioux fans' infighting.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mr.jpg

It's not your fault, It's not your fault, It's not your fault.....

Kupchella said

So... paying attention means to an issue means making a move even though it does not make sense to do so?

That quote, of which you're so fond, is out of context. Kupchella made it at a time when NCAA changes might have forced UND to move to DI-AA, regardless of whether it made sense to do so. Those changes never occurred. Thus, the quote is no longer relevant.

That quote, of which you're so fond, is out of context. Kupchella made it at a time when NCAA changes might have forced UND to move to DI-AA, regardless of whether it made sense to do so. Those changes never occurred. Thus, the quote is no longer relevant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forced? Did Myles Brand have Kupchella in a headlock? ;)

Strange that there was no mention of "NCAA changes" in the letter. ;)

I'm also wondering where PCM came up with "NCAA changes"? cuase Kupchellas never mentioned such a thing, especially when he originally quoted it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I'm the only person who remembers when the NCAA was considering a proposal to drop DII football scholarships from 36 to 24? That's what Kupchella was referring to when he made the statement.

I went to Kupchella's February 2002 position statement. That quote isn't in there.

My recollection is that that quote came from a letter to football alumni in the fall of 2004 who were pressing for a move to DI-AA (because the NCAA DII committee was looking at putting football scholarships from 36 to 24, which they did not). That's the context of that quote to the best of my recollections.

So I'm the only person who remembers when the NCAA was considering a proposal to drop DII football scholarships from 36 to 24? That's what Kupchella was referring to when he made the statement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the "NCAA changes" that would "force" UND to move to DI would be a reduction in grant levels for DII football, why hasn't UND moved to DI after one of the numerous prior reductions in grants?

I went to Kupchella's February 2002 position statement. That quote isn't in there.

My recollection is that that quote came from a letter to football alumni in the fall of 2004 who were pressing for a move to DI-AA (because the NCAA DII committee was looking at putting football scholarships from 36 to 24, which they did not). That's the context of that quote to the best of my recollections.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the letter (< that's the link right there) was in response to football alumni pressing for a move to DI-AA. The reason for their pressing the DI issue is not expressed anywhere.

Back to the topic- Buning was on Prime Time Sports on WDAY-AM last night. Seems like a good guy and should be able to do good things at UND.

If the "NCAA changes" that would "force" UND to move to DI would be a reduction in grant levels for DII football, why hasn't UND moved to DI after one of the numerous prior reductions in grants?

I guess I've never followed the logic of that argument when tony has used it in the past, and I don't follow it now. The last cut was, if I'm not mistaken, over a decade ago. That was a completely different era for UND football. For one thing, UND was not a national power, or at best was only just beginning to become a perennial playoff contender, and frankly I don't even know if we were fully-funded. A cut from 40-something to 36 probably didn't seem like that big of a deal at the time. Now, UND is one of the top programs in dII football, easily funds the maximum of 36, and would be tremendously harmed by a cut of anywhere close to the magnitude proposed last year. I fail to see how not moving to dI in response to a football scholarship cut in the early 90's--or whenever the last cut was--means that a program like UND has to just shut up and take whatever is dished out in terms of scholarship cuts in the future. I've been pretty vocal in my opinion that I don't feel like going dI without a conference for the majority of sports makes sense. However, a football scholarship cut--particularly one as large as the one just proposed--is the one thing that would make me change my mind.

I don't know. Was Kupchella the president of UND during those prior reductions? If not, what happened back then is no more relevant to the discussion today than Kupchella's quote from last December when the situation facing UND was much different.

I don't know. Was Kupchella the president of UND during those prior reductions? If not, what happened back then is no more relevant to the discussion today than Kupchella's quote from last December when the situation facing UND was much different.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am pretty sure he wasn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, and the proposed NCAA legislation had little relevance in the letter written by the letterwinners to Kupchella, and none in Kupchella's response.