SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning is new AD

PCM

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree. I just think that had they simply announced that all four would be brought in for interviews, instead of interviewing Bollinger, McCarthy and Molde, and leaving the door open for a fourth (or fifth or sixth...) candidate to be brought in, the committee could have avoided giving the perception--whether right or wrong--that Buning was any less of a finalist than were the other three.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is what I was trying to say, but you said it much better UND92,96

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about "Scylla and Charybdis":

Less than a year ago some folks were second-guessing UND (namely Kupchella and Harmeson) hiring internally and not looking at a bigger list of names. Now they look externally, at a bigger list of names, and again comes the second-guessing.

If you think it was so cut and dry, why are there so many people feeling that Buning was added at the last minute? 

I don't know why people think what they think. I don't know why Buning was added at the last minute. But I can read and decide for myself what words mean.

Interim Athletic Director Phil Harmeson, UND

I wonder if this was pure speculation or if star2city knows something that they daren't say.

It is possible Buning asked that his name not be released as a finalist until the last moment so as to limit any personal repercussions at West Point. 

I'm sure neither West Point Athletics nor the US Army are exactly doing cartwheels at the departure of a Lieutenant Colonel with his credentials and position.

I agree w/ the Sicatoka and PCM on this one (not that my agreement with them is unusual). To my untrained eye, LTC Buning was the most qualified candidate, in fact, it didn't appear to me to be particularly close. I feel badly for Rob Bollinger, because this is a job he clearly wanted and he has been an extremely valuable fundraiser for UND. Based on what I've seen and heard of Rob, I'd be very surprised if he made a stink about this. I think he will take the high road and continue to be a very valuable part of UND.

Regarding the comment that LTC Buning may not be looking to move on soon because of the age of his kids: They are military dependents, they are used to moving every few years.

Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree. I just think that had they simply announced that all four would be brought in for interviews, instead of interviewing Bollinger, McCarthy and Molde, and leaving the door open for a fourth (or fifth or sixth...) candidate to be brought in, the committee could have avoided giving the perception--whether right or wrong--that Buning was any less of a finalist than were the other three.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I can say is that having written more than a few news releases in my time, when you want to send the message that other possibilities still exist, you use the type of wording that UND used.

All I can say is that having written more than a few news releases in my time, when you want to send the message that other possibilities still exist, you use the type of wording that UND used.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just because you would use that same wording does not make it correct. I really don't think UND or Chuck could do anything wrong in some people's eyes. Just like they probably can do nothing right either.

I noticed this at the end of the news release posted on fightingsioux.com:

NEWS CONFERENCE NOTICE: University of North Dakota will introduce Thomas Buning as UND's news athletic director at a news conference on Friday, May 13, 10 a.m. in Twamley Hall, 305.

talking to him when he was here...his (older I assume) kids are college hockey fans, knew about the Fighting Sioux and would be excited to come here. That might guarentee he's be around for at least several years since I'm sure he doesn't want to keep shuffling his kids around in different schools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously I was incorrect in my perception, but when I initially read the release in question, my interpretation was that the door was left open so that some "name" candidate could still interview if he/she applied at the last minute. I honestly didn't think it was likely that any other candidate who had previously applied would be invited to interview unless one or more of the other finalists dropped out for some reason.

here is my opinion on what happened:

1. 3 candidates were interviewed.

2. After interviewing them, one of them wasn't considered a "finalist" by Phil and/or the committee.

3. Chuck had asked Phil and the committee to submit a list of 3 "finalists" from the beginning, and says "I want THREE finalists, not TWO."

4. Chuck makes Phil go bring in another applicant.

5. Buning comes in and interviews.

All this being said, yes the door was open to bring in others. But I feel that they thought they had the best 3 candidates to begin with. Apparently one of them wasnt fit for the job, so Buning was brought in. Just my 2 cents. PCM is right though, Phil's old tricky political talk did leave him "outs" on the situation.

I really don't think UND or Chuck could do anything wrong in some people's eyes.

I'm probably lumped into "some people's".

UND, and Dr. Kupchella specifically, have really fouled up in my eyes in the past on a couple of issues. But guess what: I've told those who I believe have erred directly.

A message board on the internet means zilch. If you really have a problem, go to the source and tell them in person.

UND, and Dr. Kupchella specifically, have really fouled up in my eyes in the past on a couple of issues. But guess what: I've told those who I believe have erred directly.

A message board on the internet means zilch. If you really have a problem, go to the source and tell them in person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already have sent off a couple emails.

A couple of people voiced their displeasure in Buning getting the job, and like times in the past, people jump all over them for not drinking the UND Kool Aid.

2.  After interviewing them, one of them wasn't considered a "finalist" by Phil and/or the committee. 

The guy with no hockey or football (UND's revenue generators) experience being forwarded in the final four seemed out of place to me.

A couple of people voiced their displeasure in Buning getting the job, and like times in the past, people jump all over them for not drinking the UND Kool Aid.

Disagreeing with the committee's recommendations or Dr. Kupchella's choice is one thing.

Claims that Buning was a second cut choice are patently false (despite perceptions otherwise) and needed to be called such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You and me both. And we don't even agree on all the issues.

I suppose it's the price I pay for occasionally pointing out that there's more to running UND than keeping hockey fans happy. ;)

Claims that Buning was a second cut choice are patently false (despite perceptions otherwise) and needed to be called such.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never said he was a "second cut choice".

Thanks for letting me and others know when our perceptions are right and when they are wrong.

I suppose it's the price I pay for occasionally pointing out that there's more to running UND than keeping hockey fans happy.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Occassionally pointing out? You take UND and Chuck's side on every argument.

Disagreeing with the committee's recommendations or Dr. Kupchella's choice is one thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To officially state for the record, ;);) , the message board record that is, I will support Mr. Buning and his efforts at UND, but I can already tell that I am not alone in feeling that Rob got the shaft.