that he will have an exceptional group of coaches, athletic program

personnel, student-athletes and fans with whom to work. He is well

acquainted with the challenges of modern intercollegiate athletics and

with the benefits of intercollegiate athletics done well. I'm asking

all to join me in giving full support to Tom as he begins his duties in

July."

"I was very pleased to have had an exceptional pool of candidates from

which to choose our next Athletic Director, and I commend the Search

Committee for their great work," said Kupchella.

"This is an absolutely exciting day for the Buning family. We're

thrilled to have this outstanding opportunity to serve the University of

North Dakota and its exceptional student-athletes. And we're delighted

about the opportunity to visit the campus during Spring Commencement

this weekend during what probably is the most exciting day of the year,"

said Buning. He and his wife, Debi, have three children (boy-girl-boy):

Chase, 14; Chandler, 12; and Chance (9).

Thomas Buning Bio

Thomas Buning, 45, is in his fourth year as an associate athletic

director at the West Point U.S. Military Academy. During his tenure he

has served as the director of operations for 25 teams, supervised 50

full time and 250 part-time employees, and has overseen 18 buildings and

eight athletic fields. He has served as the director of a number of

athletic support services, including event management and staffing, team

support and athletic equipment operations.

Buning led the development of a 20-year master plan for $240 million in

new and upgraded athletic facilities. He also integrated the

department's needs into the Academy's first-ever $220 million

fund-raising campaign, resulting in more than $100 million to support

athletics.

An Orlando, Fla., native, Buning is a 1981 West Point graduate and

earned his master's degree in engineering management from the University

of Missouri-Rolla in 1994. He holds an executive management diploma

from the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College and a Senior

Executive Management Diploma from the Armed Forces Staff College.

Buning has served overseas and is a decorated combat veteran. He has

been awarded the Bronze Star and three Meritorious Service Medals, as

well as the Bronze Order of the deFleury Medal from the U.S. Army

Engineer Association.

Buning is a member of the NCAA Sports Management Committee (for rifle),

and also belongs to the National Association of College Directors of

Athletics. He is a graduate of the D1A Athletic Directors Institute.

He is also a member of the U.S. Modern Pentathlon Board of Director's as

the athlete's representative. Buning is a former world class athlete in

the pentathlon, having twice qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials and

competed in 16 World Cup competitions. He also competed as a swimmer

during four years of college.

Phil Harmeson, UND's faculty athletic representative and senior

associate to the president, has served as UND's interim athletic

director since Feb. 18, when former athletics director Roger Thomas left

the position to become commissioner of the North Central Conference.

UND's All-Time Athletic Directors

(Source: UND athletics records and "A Century of U.N.D. Sports, An

Athletic History of the University of North Dakota")

* Walter Hempel, Jan. 1-June 30, 1903

* Dr. George J. Sweetland Jr., 1904-08

* Dr. David L. Dunlap, 1908-12

* Charles E. Armstrong, 1912-13

* Fred L. Thompson, 1913-18

* Paul Jones Davis, 1919-28

* Charles A. "Jack" West, 1928-46

* Glenn L. "Red" Jarrett, 1946-58

* Leonary R. "Len" Marti, 1958-76

* Dr. Carl R. Miller, 1976-85

* John F. "Gino" Gasparini, Oct. 4, 1985-June 30, 1990

* Dr. Terry Wanless, Nov. 1, 1990-June 30, 1999

* Roger Thomas, July 1, 1999-Feb. 18-2005

Note: UND has had three interim athletic directors: Dr. M. Helen

Smiley (May 15, 1988-Oct. 4, 1988), David C. Gunther (June 30, 1990-Oct.

31, 1990) and Phil Harmeson (Feb. 18, 2005-July 2005). Also, Lt. Charles

S. Farnsworth, 1894-1897, and Dr. Melvin A. Brannon, 1896-1903, both

carried out administrative duties of an athletic director, but neither

carried that title.

--30--

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I was rooting for Rob Bollinger to get the job, you can't help but be impressed with Buning's credentials. Maybe he can be the best of both worlds--Wanless's administrative abilities and RT's people skills. I wonder what the chances are that Rob would be interested in the vacant assistant a.d. position? That could go a long way towards smoothing things over with the numerous fans/alums who were backing Rob, plus I think he would do a good job in that position.

While I was rooting for Rob Bollinger to get the job, you can't help but be impressed with Buning's credentials. Maybe he can be the best of both worlds--Wanless's administrative abilities and RT's people skills. I wonder what the chances are that Rob would be interested in the vacant assistant a.d. position?  That could go a long way towards smoothing things over with the numerous fans/alums who were backing Rob, plus I think he would do a good job in that position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great points. I really didn't care who got the position, but I know a lot of alums and donors who were really pushing for Rob to get the job and they are not going to be too happy.

How does a guy not make the first cut, but makes the second cut and gets the job. I wish him the best luck, but I feel it is a slap in the face for Rob. I feel we need to look at what direction Kuppe it taking this university. Both him and Phil H need to move on.

I wish him luck and I hope he can be successful in the position.

My only problem is also what Driveforshow brought up and that is this guy doesn't even make the cut, but is added later and then gets the job. Interesting

What "cut" are we talking about here exactly?

TIMELINE:

The committee interviewed three guys in quick succession, and then a fourth, and then submitted four names to Dr. Kupchella. Lt. Col. Buning was on the list of four finalists submitted.

As easily as some may spin this late interview as "missed first cut" (when there wasn't one) others could spin it as "first three didn't have it so the committee looked some more" (and this is also patently inaccurate).

I'll stick with the actual timeline (see above). Four names; Dr. Kupchella chose a man with outstanding credentials from the four.

Congratulations Lt. Col. Buning.

Welcome to UND and the community of Grand Forks and North Dakota.

How does a guy not make the first cut, but makes the second cut and gets the job. I wish him the best luck, but I feel it is a slap in the face for Rob. I feel we need to look at what direction Kuppe it taking this university. Both him and Phil H need to move on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with you. You chose the candidate that didnt make the initial cut. Figure it out, Chuck. I feel bad for Buning. Probably a great guy and qualified, but at the same time, people are gonna be mad about the whole situation. Nice work, Chuck. Hopefully you stay around for years to come. Maybe we'll be NAIA D2 by the time your regime is through here. Both you and Phil need to find a new home. Let's hope we dont lose Rob now. Stay Rob, we need you.

What "cut" are we talking about here exactly?

TIMELINE:

The committee interviewed three guys in quick succession, and then a fourth, and then submitted four names to Dr. Kupchella. Lt. Col. Buning was on the list of four finalists submitted.

As easily as some may spin this late interview as "missed first cut" (when there wasn't one) others could spin it as "first three didn't have it so the committee looked some more" (and this is also patently inaccurate).

I'll stick with the actual timeline (see above). Four names; Dr. Kupchella chose a man with outstanding credentials from the four.

Congratulations Lt. Col. Buning.

Welcome to UND and the community of Grand Forks and North Dakota.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ohhh, sicatoka. i like you, but it is pretty naive to think that. but you are entitled to your opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the earlier press releases stated:

Harmeson said it is still possible that other candidates could be brought to campus for interviews.
It is possible Buning asked that his name not be released as a finalist until the last moment so as to limit any personal repercussions at West Point.

The following was probably key to Buning getting the position, and likely tips UND hands into what direction the athletic department is heading (DI).

Buning led the development of a 20-year master plan for $240 million in new and upgraded athletic facilities. He also integrated the department's needs into the Academy's first-ever $220 million fund-raising campaign, resulting in more than $100 million to support athletics.

I would hope that Bollinger would get the associate AD position, and then slide Glas into Rob's old spot. If Buning ever moves on (likely- he seems rather ambitious), then Bollinger would be heir apparent.

One final note: kind of ironic that another adminstrative type rivalry, Army (Buning) vs Navy (Taylor), is in the cards for UND / NDSU.

I guess the problem is that the wording of this release said basically that three candidates would be brought in for interviews, and that "it is still possible that other candidates could be brought to campus for interviews." That, probably unnecessarily, created the perception that if Buning or anybody else who had previously applied was subsequently brought in to interview, they would be viewed somehow in a lesser light than Bollinger, McCarthy or Molde. To the extent that somebody screwed up here, I would have to say that it was Harmeson and/or the search committee for having allowed the release to be worded in such a way. In any event, it's unfortunate because obviously Buning is very qualified and has done nothing wrong here.

From http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/s...ta/11497932.htm

UND officials said Tuesday they will interview a fourth candidate for the AD position. Lt. Col. Tom Buning, the associate athletic director for facilities and operations at Army, is scheduled to interview at UND today and Thursday.

Within the past two weeks, UND interviewed Lynn University AD John McCarthy; UND Alumni and Foundation development officer Rob Bollinger; and Gustavus Adolphus AD Al Molde for the Sioux athletic director's position, which was vacated by Roger Thomas in mid-February.

Molde was the last of the three to interview. His interview concluded last Thursday.

The decision to bring in Buning after interviews with McCarthy, Bollinger and Molde does not mean the school's search committee has ruled out recommending any or all three of the candidates to UND President Charles Kupchella, who will hire the next Sioux athletic director.

First submittal (aka "cut"): four names.

While I was rooting for Rob Bollinger to get the job, you can't help but be impressed with Buning's credentials. Maybe he can be the best of both worlds--Wanless's administrative abilities and RT's people skills. I wonder what the chances are that Rob would be interested in the vacant assistant a.d. position?  That could go a long way towards smoothing things over with the numerous fans/alums who were backing Rob, plus I think he would do a good job in that position.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Buning is an impressive guy and will do a good job and deserves our support. I also felt Rob Bollinger should get the job. He earned it, but no way will anyone change this decision.

Kupchella will never regain support from a number of former Sioux athletes but he has never shown he cares what they think. There are a number of big $$$ supporters who have stated this is the last straw and will pull their support. It isn't as much that Rob didn't get the job, but the callous way he was treated by some in the administration and the disregard this administration has for the alumni, especially former athletes and the tradition of Fighting Sioux Athletics.

I am disappointed for Rob but happy for Tom Buning and will do what ever I can to help him move UND athletics to higher levels of success. He is bright and articulate and will work very hard to continue and improve the high quality athletics we have come to expect from UND. I hope he has a plan to shake up UND's dismal track and field, softball and volleyball programs. They have slid by for too many years with mediocore programs. At the same time he will need to support FB, MBB, WBB and hockey with the goal of national championships. He will also need to raise the funds to build an indoor track/baseball/softball/soccer/FB practice facility and continue the process to DI when appropriate.

To the extent that somebody screwed up here, I would have to say that it was Harmeson and/or the search committee for having allowed the release to be worded in such a way.
Edited by PCM

The following was probably key to Buning getting the position, and likely tips UND hands into what direction the athletic department is heading (DI). 

That's not a tip. This is a tip:

Buning is a member of the NCAA Sports Management Committee (for rifle), and also belongs to the National Association of College Directors of Athletics. He is a graduate of the D1A Athletic Directors Institute. He is also a member of the U.S. Modern Pentathlon Board of Director's as the athlete's representative. Buning is a former world class athlete in the pentathlon, having twice qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials and competed in 16 World Cup competitions. He also competed as a swimmer during four years of college.

The first bold statement is truly interesting.

The second should make a couple of coaches happy.

I wouldn't mind Buning coming in and shaking things up for a couple of years. Maybe he won't be liked by all but he could make some needed, not well liked changes and then when he takes off for a new job in 3 years or so Rob can come in and be the "good guy" as we move into DI.

Some big assumptions I know on my part but that's my opinion. The only reason I wouldn't see Buning moving on quickly would be the age of his three kids.

I don't see how anybody "screwed up." The wording and meaning of the news release seem quite clear to me.

The committee was going to interview three candidtates. The door was left open to interview more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

However you want to spin it, it is hard not to see that the original release has led to many people believing that Buning was not an original finalist.

However you want to spin it, it is hard not to see that the original release has led to many people believing that Buning was not an original finalist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

People are always free to misinterpret words any way they desire.

Frankly, I don't see this as a "slap" or anything else. The fact that Harmeson left the door open either shows this was an indicator they weren't really thrilled with the Final Three, or they were more intent on getting the best possible person into the slot. Moreover, I don't see anybody here criticizing Buning's credentials, so much as whining about hurt feelings.

I think he'll do a fine job, and making Lieutenant Colonel in the Army is no easy feat. Then again, he'll probably demand results and accountability, which will probably suck for the deadwood types, as well as the whining, bed wetters in Twamley and Merrifield.