SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning is new AD

PCM

Exactly, and the proposed NCAA legislation had little relevance in the letter written by the letterwinners to Kupchella, and none in Kupchella's response.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you know? Did you read the letter to which Kupchella was respondining?

As I recall, at the time Kupchella wrote his letter, there were four factors influencing UND's decision about moving to DI-AA.

1. The NCAA's consideration of a proposal to reduce DII scholarships from 36 to 24.

2. The possibility of NDSU joining the Big Sky Conference.

3. The possibility of UND being invited to join the Big Sky Conference.

4. The strong desire of UND alumni and others to maintain the football rivalry with NDSU.

Just because Kupchella didn't specifically mention the scholarship issue in his letter doesn't mean that it didn't play a role in his statement that UND "may have to make this move," even if it didn't possess the financial resources and facilities to do so.

Kupchella refered to "pride and emotion" as a factor in UND's DI-AA decision, but added "there is obviously a little more to the issue than pride and emotion as you well know." He also said in his letter:

I won't go into all of the pros and cons of making a move here. Suffice it to say, there are pros and cons and your notes seemed to recognize this. Some of the pros - and maybe some of the cons - are soft if not mythical, but are all fairly well known if not universally understood.

In other words, Kupchella knew that the person he was addressing fully understood the issues involved and didn't feel the need to rehash all of them.

You can continue to claim that the NCAA vote on the scholarship issue (which came in January 2005) had no influence on how Kupchella viewed the DI-AA issue last December, but having conducted live radio interviews with both Phil Harmeson and Roger Thomas on that very subject, I know for a fact that it was a consideration of UND's administration at that time.

Again, the only point to all of this is that the Kupchella quote you continue to dredge up and repeat ad naseum is no longer relevant because:

1. The NCAA didn't cut DII football scholarships.

2. NDSU wasn't invited to join the BSC.

3. UND wasn't invited to join the BSC.

And because none of those three things happened, my perception is that the "pride and emotion" factor isn't quite as strong now as it was then.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And because none of those three things happened, my perception is that the "pride and emotion" factor isn't quite as strong now as it was then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But still present, nonetheless.

And yes, I believe that the failed grant reduction legislation gives UND less motive from M.O.M. (Kupchella's words) to move to DI.

How do you know? Did you read the letter to which Kupchella was respondining?

I don't. There's only twelve people that know what exactly was written, and the lack of it being written on UND letterhead prevents open records laws from revealing it.

But still present, nonetheless.

And yes, I believe that the failed grant reduction legislation gives UND less motive from M.O.M. (Kupchella's words) to move to DI.

I don't. There's only twelve people that know what exactly was written, and the lack of it being written on UND letterhead prevents open records laws from revealing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which letter? To Kupchella from FB alumni, the letter from Kupchella in response to that or a different letter altogether??

To Kupchella from FB alumni.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More than twelve of us read it. There was nothing other than support for the move to DI. It was respectful and there was communication of support financially and politically for the move. There was recognition of the difficulties the change would bring especially the financial costs but the will to work together to overcome those difficulties.

Herald article on Buning

"I literally can't wait to get started," said Buning, who has spent the past four years as an associate athletic director at NCAA Division I Army.

Buning will face the challenge of leading an athletic department that has enjoyed success on two levels of competition. UND is a power in NCAA Division I hockey, and the school's Division II programs in women's basketball and football are perennial contenders for national titles as well.

But he also takes over a department that faces a number of challenges, ranging from budget constraints to rising costs to the sometimes tenuous partnership between Ralph Engelstad Arena and UND athletics.

However, there was no news on the Division I front during Buning's introductory media conference.

"We're going to continue to do what we said we're going to do," Kupchella said.That means UND will continue to monitor intercollegiate athletics. And if a move upward is warranted and feasible, the school will act accordingly, Kupchella indicated.

In looking at the UND position, Buning said he called North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor, who took over the Bison program after spending time as a Navy associate athletic director.

He liked what he heard from Taylor.

"Gene had nothing but the best to say about this particular job," Buning said. "He thought this is a tremendous place. The conversation was extremely upbeat and positive."

Q and A with Buning

some of the questions

What are your first priorities in your new position?

The first thing to do is to get established there at my desk and build a solid administrative team. We have some great, dedicated folks who have been pulling double duty for a significant amount of time. The reason for that is there are some vacancies. I think it will be key to fill those with the right folks who fit the team and support the vision and goals we have for the department.

Some troubles have existed between the athletic department and Ralph Engelstad Arena officials since the new building that houses UND hockey opened in 2001. Some critics believe the athletic department should be getting more money from arena proceeds to keep Sioux hockey as one of the country's top programs and help other Sioux programs. How will you go about improving relations?

The wonderful opportunity that's at play here now is the fact that the REA has begun a process of finding a new general manager. I think that's an absolutely critical position. The nice thing is the two of us will be new at the same time, and we can build relationships - not only with our respective organizations, but with each other. It's a good time to solidify the ... mission statements that really drive two organizations to work together. And if done right, no one needs to be asking or worrying about the relationship between us, because it really does have to be mutual and symbiotic.

The athletic department will have a deficit of more than $200,000 this fiscal year. Would you consider cutting some nonrevenue sports?

That's a very draconian measure ... As an athletic director, I feel compelled that the mission is to make sure you maintain, as a minimum, the status quo, because that's your job to support them. I'm not afraid to go out and do the work it takes to keep our sports, and not only that, but keep them funded to the point where they have the opportunity to be successful.

UND has fairly new buildings for football (Alerus Center), hockey (Ralph Engelstad Arena) and volleyball and basketball (Betty Engelstad Sioux Center). What other facilities would you like to upgrade? Memorial Stadium and the running track need work. How about the soccer, baseball and softball facilities?

I do know very intimately the importance of facilities and their relationship to the success of the program. They absolutely help an athletic department recruit a coach, help a coach recruit athletes and, once those athletes are here, develop them and create a great environment to compete in at the highest level ... . These are some absolutely first-rate facilities ... . Clearly there are some significant deficiencies in those sports you mentioned that would come down to a matter of priority and how I can do the most good with the limited resources available. From what I understand, these would have to be gift-funded projects. It's going to take time. It's going to take some major capital campaigns to do it. Clearly an indoor practice facility is one that jumps out as being very critical. I can't say for certain that that would be the No. 1 priority, but I know that, based on the climate and if built right, it can really facilitate improvement of a lot of sports.

Rob Bollinger named new associate a.d. at UND! link I'd say that's a great choice by Mr. Buning on his first hire, and many thanks to Rob for again showing his tremendous loyalty to UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rob really shows a lot of character by taking this position. Perhaps he will still be rewarded down the road with the top position. Now, if only Rich Glas can be moved into Rob's old position. :sad:

"Bollinger will be responsible for coordinating and facilitating with the UND Alumni Association and Foundation staff to maximize infrastructure support for events, marketing, development, database management, tax receipting, donor recognition, club membership and Alumni Review news."

This sounds perfect for Rob. What a great move by him, what class!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks. It is interesting to note that apparently Al Molde was offered the AD job first but withdrew when the salary was not sufficient. His wife has a very good job in the Cities.

Hopefully, this won't start another debate about who should have gotten the position - with many of us thinking that Rob should have gotten it. I do think Molde would have done a very good job had he accepted.

I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks.  It is interesting to note that apparently Al Molde was offered the AD job first but withdrew when the salary was not sufficient.  His wife has a very good job in the Cities.

Hopefully, this won't start another debate about who should have gotten the position - with many of us thinking that Rob should have gotten it.  I do think Molde would have done a very good job had he accepted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have anything to back this up (Molde being offered the job first)? This is the first I've heard of this, but maybe I'm just living under a rock or having my memory go. If it is true, I'm glad he turned it down because from what I know of the situation (i.e. no inside info) Buning was by far the better candidate.

How close was your source to the decision-making process? The committee forwarded the names in an unranked manner, meaning not even any of those people could have known the outcome before the candidate was selected. From what I understand, only Kupchella should have known whom he was going to select... What am I missing here?