SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning is new AD

PCM

how are they not considered employees of UND?

Found this at UNDAlumni.org:

The Alumni Association remained a rather informal organization until 1915 when it was incorporated under the laws of the state of North Dakota. 

UND Alumni Association is an independent corporation that supports UND. As an independent corporation their employees don't work for UND.

PS - That means that Jeff Bowen couldn't have applied for Blais' job a year ago.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this at UNDAlumni.org:

UND Alumni Association is an independent corporation that supports UND. As an independent corporation their employees don't work for UND.

PS - That means that Jeff Bowen couldn't have applied for Blais' job a year ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LennonIsTheMan already knew that.

maybe by definition Rob is not a UND employee

When are people going to learn that you cannot question Kuppy or UND on any decision they make, because they are always right.

Start drinking the Kool-Aid and get in line with the others.

Since Rob and others at the Alumni offices don't work for UND, I wish they would stop using UND in any of their advertising and solicitations for money they send me.

When are people going to learn that you cannot question Kuppy or UND on any decision they make, because they are always right.

Start drinking the Kool-Aid and get in line with the others. 

Since Rob and others at the Alumni offices don't work for UND, I wish they would stop using UND in any of their advertising and solicitations for money they send me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

my point exactly.

(by the way, its not "kuppy", its "Chuck")

I wish Mr Buning all the luck in the world, but when you are coming into a dept that is 300.000.00 over budget and the club that helps support's that dept is in trouble also he better be a good fundraiser. Rob had a lot of local support including some huge UND almuni and if people think it is going tobe easy for anyone to get their instant support you are wrong. I feel this process they used to hire this new AD was wrong and it is going to piss off some BIG alumni and it could come back to bite them in the a--.

ok......(deep breath)

I would first like to state that I will give Buning the support he deserves to perform and perform well as the new AD.  It sounds like he is qualified in many ways.  I hope he does the job well. 

Now, my take on why Rob should have been the man in this instance: (MY OPINION)

1.  Rob has been associated with UND for 20+ years.

2.  He has the pulse of the UND alumni, and that is an understatement

3.  His regular job duties that he has been performing over the years could easily be equated to that of an AD, more so in some instances than others

4.  Losing Rob all together at UND would be devastating in more ways than one, and would totally offset any "shortcomings" he might have because of not having AD experience in the 1st place.  (this could very well happen)

5.  He knows what is going on with all the major issues at hand right now at UND.  (nickname, and D-1 move)  I would want to have nobody else as the AD to make the move to D-1.

All that being said, one thing people dont realize is that Chuck does not get UND athletics.  He just doesnt understand the loyalty and support given to athletics here.  It is just different than many other places for obvious reasons.  But, I dont think Chuck really cares to "get it" either.  He is rarely seen supporting Sioux athletics, and always has something better to do it seems.  He seems like a very disingenuous and insincere man in person.  I really think that the sour taste that was left in his mouth at SE Missouri St? really effected his whole take on athletics.  Apparently they made the jump to D-1 on his watch, and everything kinda went south. 

So, reasons why Chuck DID NOT want Rob in the first place:

1.  Chuck wants a YES man to make his job easier with things such as the nickname issue.  Who better to have than a man from the military academy that understands and will follow the proper chain of command?

2.  Chuck wants a guy that doesnt have too much say with the alumni that will raise a stink.

3.  Chuck does NOT want to deal with the D-1 move because of reasons mentioned above.

4.  Rob was and is a football guy, so was Roger Thomas.

5.  Athletic department re-appropriation and cutting of funds, and budgeting concerns that have been rumored to be pissing off some coaches on campus.  Again, he needs his AD in his corner on this.

I will be very upset if we completely lose a guy like Rob from our institution.  If this does happen, I believe that the pros of hiring Rob over Buning would have severely outweighed the cons of him not having AD experience and losing him completely in the long run.  He is a very valuable asset to the University as a whole, not just athletics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with most of what you say - but I don't think it's a mistake to bring in a charismatic guy from the outside who's eager for a new challenge. I thought Rob would be the favorite too but he still has a (pretty good) job at UND - and maybe that's where he fits the best!

Bollingers fundraising ability was a plus - lack of administrative experience a minus. Yes, Rob is a football guy like Roger and like Roger he has NO athletic administrative experience - I think that's what sunk him.

I also agree Chuck "doesn't get it" with Athletics - maybe Buning can be a guy to persuade him in a new direction...

If we can keep a top-shelf fundraiser in a position where he can focus on what he does very, very well, namely fundraising, UND Athletics seems very well positioned.

that is so wrong.....if he is the BEST person for the job...he should get it....to not give him the job because we will lose our main or best fundraiser is a horrilbe reason....and anyone who tells you any different is WRONG!!!!!

PS - That means that Jeff Bowen couldn't have applied for Blais' job a year ago

he could have applied for the job....he just would not have been a internal candidate...but i am still not so sure they are not considered state employees...paid by the state...with state dollars...if thats the case...then they would be a internal canidate..

No AD at UND has done any less than five years since the 1920's.

this is incorrect..Terry Wanless was AD from 1990 to 1999....9 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You might want to reread that. Because you backed up my statement of "No Ad at UND has done any less than five years since the 1920's.

9>5. Hence you backed up my point.

My statement was inresponse to people thinking he might move on after three years.

he could have applied for the job....he just would not have been  a internal candidate...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The head hockey coach position was never advertised externally. Therefore, Bowen couldn't apply for it.

I know for a fact that alumni association employees are not UND employees. Their payroll and benefits are totally separate from UND.

If we can keep a top-shelf fundraiser in a position where he can focus on what he does very, very well, namely fundraising, UND Athletics seems very well positioned.

that is so wrong.....if he is the BEST person for the job...he should get it....to not give him the job because we will lose our main or best fundraiser is a horrilbe reason....and anyone who tells you any different is WRONG!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Legend, you arent listening. A lot of us feel Rob is the best man for the job. Hence, our disappointment he didn't get it. I also would say that keeping the guy that feeds the proverbial monkey, is pretty damn important.

The head hockey coach position was never advertised externally. Therefore, Bowen couldn't apply for it.

I know for a fact that alumni association employees are not UND employees. Their payroll and benefits are totally separate from UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(ahem......)

common sense. ;)

That's not what I'm saying.

In the eyes of the person responsible for the hiring the best man for the job was hired. (Clearly not everyone agrees with the man doing the hiring and I'd be shocked if there ever was any "everyone agrees" person.)

"You make the appointments and you live with them. You don't make wrong decisions intentionally." -- Gino Gasparini

To believe that Dr. Kupchella hired who he hired for any reason but to get the best available person for the job is to believe that the system has completely broken down. If you believe Dr. Kupchella hired Buning to not hire someone else is to believe that Dr. K made "wrong decisions intentionally." (See above.)

My point now and then is this: The new AD has been named. Now we have to work to keep a top-shelf fundraiser in a key position, namely supporting UND.

Maybe it would be nice to hire someone who Knows where The University is located?

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5394456.html

I see the trib corrected it had said He was looking forward to visiting Fargo for spring commencement

Happens a few times a year, major media continues its inability to distinguish North Dakota towns/Universities. Still, you might hope the STrib would know N.D. better...

Maybe it would be nice to hire someone who Knows where The University is located?

That'd be great!

How do we convince "The Red Star" to do it?

(The corrected statement wasn't a quote from Buning but apparently an error by the paper.)

Considering McFool hosts a "golf show", I can't help but read his screeds with a healthy dose of nausea. He must think Buning is a fool if he hasn't done his DD on UND, and its attendant issues, problems, etc. As well, Kupchella seems to paying attention to the D1 issue, more than Chaps ever did before he dove into the deep end.

However, my favorite is this:

"I think he needs to get a little bit of a better feel for what is going on among the coaches in Grand Forks and what our feelings are. If he thinks there is going to be a welcome with open arms among our ranks and among our coaches, I think he'd be mistaken," Taylor said. "It's not as easy as it sounds. And I'll tell him that when I meet with him."

Sure Gene. Poor ol' 'SU got its little feelings hurt by big, bad UND, again. And the home gates must have been spectacular for 2004-05, and I'm sure those travel expenses to the middle of nowhere came in well below budget, even in the face of rising fuel prices. Go back to the Turf and try another Power Hour. ;)

Then throw in some smack:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently, McFeely is limiting his knowledge input to Bisonville.com. ;) Hard to believe he could be so far off in his read of popular sentiment (Bison/Sioux games) or fact (sure, Kupchella may be anti-DI as it stands now - but add a conference and finances to that equation and Kup will likely be a little more flexible.)