SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning is new AD

PCM

I went to Army's webpage and found the list of athletics they offer. It has a "+" if UND also offers it:

+ Baseball

+ Basketball-M

+ Basketball-W

+ Cross Country

+ Football

+ Golf

Gymnastics

+ Hockey

Lacrosse

Rifle

Sprint Football (<--- max weight 166 pounds)

+ Swimming/Diving

Soccer-M

+ Soccer-W

+ Softball

Tennis-M

+ Tennis-W

+ Track

+ Volleyball

Wrestling

Seems like Buning's seen everything UND does and then some.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is my opinion on what happened:

1.  3 candidates were interviewed. 

2.  After interviewing them, one of them wasn't considered a "finalist" by Phil        and/or the committee. 

3.  Chuck had asked Phil and the committee to submit a list of 3 "finalists" from the beginning, and says "I want THREE finalists, not TWO." 

4.  Chuck makes Phil go bring in another applicant.

5.  Buning comes in and interviews.

All this being said, yes the door was open to bring in others.  But I feel that they thought they had the best 3 candidates to begin with.  Apparently one of them wasnt fit for the job, so Buning was brought in.  Just my 2 cents.  PCM is right though, Phil's old tricky political talk did leave him "outs" on the situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posters bring up good and valid concerns. I supported Rob and he has been a friend for many years. He would have been a great AD.

I think Kupchella and Harmeson did what they usually do and they did nothing wrong. I don't think either of them wanted Rob from day one, but they are certainly entitled to their own opinion. There are many many people in Grand Forks and the Alumni community who appreciated all of what Rob has done for UND and Fighting Sioux athletics. He is too valuable to be an asst. or assoc. AD here. His present job had a lot more responsibility and would be a step down. He already has other job offers from the private sector.

Bottom line, he didn't get the job. Rob would be the first to say support Tom Buning. Remember all Tom Buning did was apply for the job and get it. Please give him your support and make him feel welcome. If you have time go on over to the press conference and meet him. I think you will be impressed.

Lastly, I don't think anyone is "whining". Kupchella and Harmeson work for the students and the people of North Dakota. Those of you who feel bent our of shape when others critcize their decisions, should remember that. I get the impression that they do not feel they are there to serve the students and the people of the state of North Dakota but that is based on personal contact with them not their comments on the subject. . If people have concerns about their performance then they need to take them to task.

I would however, separate that from Tom Buning's position as the new AD. To do otherwise would be unfair to Tom Buning. It is also the best way to show respect for Rob Bollinger.

As I said, if you get a chance, go meet him and welcome him to the UND family.

Have fun with Kuppy and Dr. Phil.

Yes, really. Believe it or not, I've written more than one article for USCHO.

Unless you can find posts linking every story I've ever written for USCHO to this Web site (and I know for a fact that you can't), then you're wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, we know you have written more than one article for USCHO.

I have no problem admitting when I was wrong or when my wording was incorrect, I should have said, "thanks for letting us know when you write certain articles for USCHO."

Lastly,  I don't think anyone is "whining".  Kupchella and Harmeson work for the students and the people of North Dakota. Those of you who feel bent our of shape when others critcize their decisions,  should remember that.  I get the impression that they do not feel they are there to serve the students and the people of the state of North Dakota but that is based on personal contact with them not their comments on the subject.  .    If people have concerns about their performance then they need to take them to task.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you get the impression they do not feel they are there to serve students and the people of ND (unless that was a typo), who do you think they feel they are there to serve?

Please don't stop letting us know when you post on USCHO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't worry about it. A few people think there's something wrong with me posting links to my USCHO stories. Apparently the idea of an online writer who covers Sioux hockey and posts links to his stories in an online forum devoted to Sioux hockey is so strange and foreign to them that they get freaked out. ;);)

Buning sounds a lot like Burning. I hope there is a BIG difference in personalties.

Does anyone know how Mr. Buning stands on the Fighting Sioux name?

He sounds more than qualified, do you think he will use this as a stepping stone and be gone in 3 years?

Buning sounds a lot like Burning.  I hope there is a BIG difference in personalties.

He sounds more than qualified, do you think he will use this as a stepping stone and be gone in 3 years?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three and gone. I have to believe the Fighting Sioux made a major error in not hiring Bollinger. ;)

Buning sounds a lot like Burning.  I hope there is a BIG difference in personalties.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No AD at UND has done any less than five years since the 1920's.

I would find it hard to believe that anyone who has had a reasonable amount of experience in filling open positions could criticize the selection. First and foremost, before anyone is talked to, it would have to be documented to/by/for the selection committee as to what the goal is in hiring a new AD. What type of sports experience? What type of education? What type of fundraising experience? What type of management experience? What type of project management experience? The list goes on and on. And then you have to decide what the most important items are in filling the position. Then you review the candidates.

By the time they got to bringing in the individuals that they wanted to interview, they would have done some preliminary screening on paper, and by telephone. I would think that they would have checked some references. By this point, you should not have what could be considered any bad candidates. Each candidate will bring strengths and weaknesses. I would guess that after interviewing the first three candidates they had identified some possible weak areas or areas of lack of experience in each of them, or took a second look at some applicants to see if there were other possibilities. You then take a step back to look if there might be something a little better in the pile.

From my perspective, I have no personal knowledge of any of these individuals. I can only go by what I have read. I find no fault in the choice for AD. He looks to have a very impressive background and valuable experience in many areas. Furthermore, he may have the backbone to stand up to some unpleasant situations.

For those of us with military experience, if you get on the wrong side of someone who outranks you, life can become miserable. I would guess that he likely had some concerns about someone getting upset at his applying for the position. His next post could have come quite quickly at some remote spot no one ever heard of before.

It is totally unfair to be doing sniping or attacking the process unless you have very very intimate detail on what took place in the interviews and what the goals of the search were. If you do please point them out. No guess, no speculation, only what you know to be fact. Some people will always look for conspiracies or other ulterior motives, but we need facts to assess the situation.

Let's give the guy a chance to prove himself in action.

It is totally unfair to be doing sniping or attacking the process unless you have very very intimate detail on what took place in the interviews and what the goals of the search were.  If you do please point them out.  No guess, no speculation, only what you know to be fact.  Some people will always look for conspiracies or other ulterior motives, but we need facts to assess the situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After re-reading the posts in this thread, I really don't see a lot of people complaining about the process, but that is just my take.

People point it out all the time, but this is a message board, this is where people come to vent, bounce their ideas and feelings off others who care about the sioux and UND, and just come to enjoy and share many things related to the university. I definitely do not agree with everyone all the time, but I find it unfair to come on here and tell people not to speculate or guess about the process, unless you know all the facts, because if that is the case, then almost no one would be qualified to talk about anything regarding sioux sports.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that would be BERNING (as in Todd) i believe and NO - there is NO similiarity ;) (at least from what I've seen) He "berned" a lot of bridges that REA is still trying to rebuild (or repair) -- good riddance! and I'll leave it at that...

I was at the public meet-n-greet deal with Buning and the nickname question was the first one he got from the very FEW people that actually showed up for it. He was very positive and said, from an outsiders view, it was a very respectful representation and he had no problems with it. I'm sure the usual suspects will try to raise a little stink soon after he's on campus but hopefully he'll realize it's the same 15 people whining about the name and consider the bigger picture.