SiouxSports.com Forum

Who will the Sioux get next?

siouxnami

Which player would you most like to see sign?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you most like to see sign?

• Jon Ammerman
    • Tysen Dowzak
    • Angelo Esposito
    • Joe Finley
    • Chay Genoway
    • Kyle Hardwick
    • Mario Lamoureux
    • Darcy Zajac
    • Other

Bariball was a fun one to watch in the state tourney and I was harboring small hopes that UND could be in on the sweepstakes as he was fun to watch. Oh well, UND doesn't get too many TC kids, so it was a faint hope at best.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From today's Forum regarding Drew Fisher of Moorhead:

The 6-foot-3 Fisher has put on 17 pounds of muscle since the prep season - he's up to 205 - and had a scholarship offer from Alaska-Anchorage until head coach, John Hill, left to become an assistant at Minnesota. Ideally, Fisher would like to wind up in the WCHA and has plans to visit UND, where Lee and VandeVelde have signed.
link

The team only has 3 seniors: Greene, Prpich, Marvin.

Finley appears to be Greene's replacement. (I say that because I expect Greene to sign with Edmonton before fall semester begins.)

VandeVelde fills Prpich's spot. Marto fills Marvin's spot.

Any recruiting now most likely signals that early departures (summer of 2006) are in store. Prime candidates? Smaby. Stafford. Zajac.

I'm expecting Stafford, Smaby and Zajac to all have good years this year, and then begin their professional careers in the Fall of 2006 (assuming they don't leave yet this Summer).

Stafford and Smaby both have NHL size, and first and second round draft choices who continue to progress don't often play four years of college hockey. I think the Devils are really high on Zajac and I think they'll bring him in next year, especially if he has the kind of year I think he might have.

All conjecture on my part, and of course I'd love to be wrong. One wildcard is that we don't know yet what the normal course of business will be for the NHL under the new CBA. I would think UND might recruit a few kids that will be in the "arrival date TBD" category; they'll be 2006 recruits if the roster opens up, or 2007 if there is no room.

I remember a post last year regarding Forney and it said he was leaning towards the Sioux and wasn't much of a Gopher fan but who knows how things change to  From year to year :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Marto claimed he was a big Gopher fan growing up and he changed his mind. ;)

So it does show how things may change with some kids once they are recruited. You could be right about Forney. :ohmy:

I believe Oshie had plans when he moved out here to play for Minnesota, until he learned of UND, and I believe I heard Lee and another Moorhead player or two were more Minnesota fans as well. JLoos could probably address which other Moorhead players leaned that direction. So to have that many really nice players that are here or will be here, rather than at Minnesota is a nice coup for the coaching staff and UND in general.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have any news on who Hak and the boys are after. Looks like we are going to need to find at least one defenseman for next year and Dowzak is not an option. Also I've been hearing that Lucia's been after Forney pretty hard. I think we really need to get this kid. He is big and has a ton of potential. Also I think now with Dowzak out of the picture what about Hardwick for 2006.

Anyone have any news on who Hak and the boys are after.  Looks like we are going to need to find at least one defenseman for next year and Dowzak is not an option.  Also I've been hearing that Lucia's been after Forney pretty hard.  I think we really need to get this kid.  He is big and has a ton of potential.  Also I think now with Dowzak out of the picture what about Hardwick for 2006.

I would expect the coaches are recruiting Forney. Nearly a local guy, and sounds like he is coming along as a very good prospect. We could use some good forwards to offset expected future losses.

I am not sure if UND has much of a chance at Forney. From what I hear he wants to go to the gophers and Lucia was has told him he could go there next year without a year in the ushl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This past spring he told one of our kids (a gopher fan) who played with him on a select team in the past that he would choose UND if he had to make the decision then. Certainly could have changed his mind since then but I wouldn't think UND is out of it yet.

This past spring he told one of our kids (a gopher fan) who played with him  on a select team  in the past that he would choose UND if he had to make the decision then.  Certainly could have changed his mind since then  but I wouldn't think UND is out of it yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can just imagine how that conversation went. I hope UND is working on this kid.

This is a risky scholarship choice. Injury prone the past two years.

You never know the story about "injury prone". Until knowing about what kind of injuries he sustained and how he sustained them, it's hard to know if it's really a problem with the player, or just bad luck.

I am not sure if UND has much of a chance at Forney. From what I hear he wants to go to the gophers and Lucia was has told him he could go there next year without a year in the ushl.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This kid will be good and I would like to see him because he is local, but there is soooooo much talent in the BCHL also. In Hak I trust.

Hey does Sparky have brothers? ;)

This kid will be good and I would like to see him because he is local, but there is soooooo much talent in the BCHL also. In Hak I trust.

Hey does Sparky have brothers? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know about Sparky, but Toews has one brother and Zajac has 3 brothers. :huh:

And we might need them ALL next year. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? If the 17 year old works out, lets try younger... In a related note, David Toews is considered one of the best in his age group and Major Juniors likely burned their bridge with their spiteful stab at the family...