SiouxSports.com Forum

UND signs Toews

PCM

I like this quote from the GF Herald article today from Toews directly:

"I saw some college games at Wisconsin and Minnesota, but when I came to UND and saw the atmosphere in Ralph Engelstad Arena, I fell in love with it," Toews said Thursday. "I'm really glad I'm going there."

So are we.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And I think both Kessel and Toews accelerated their schooling? If so they're both probably the same age."

They are fairly close. Kessel has a 10-2-87 birthdate and Toews has a 4-28-88 birthdate so they are just short of 7 months apart. It is pretty impressive that Toews will play the whole season next year as a 17 year old.

"And I think both Kessel and Toews accelerated their schooling? If so they're both probably the same age."

They are fairly close.  Kessel has a 10-2-87 birthdate and Toews has a 4-28-88 birthdate so they are just short of 7 months apart.  It is pretty impressive that Toews will play the whole season next year as a 17 year old.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he sticks around 4 years and becomes a graduate student, he can go to the bars.

I like this quote from the GF Herald article today from Toews directly:

"I saw some college games at Wisconsin and Minnesota, but when I came to UND and saw the atmosphere in Ralph Engelstad Arena, I fell in love with it," Toews said Thursday. "I'm really glad I'm going there."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yet another recruit sucked in by the Ralph's morgue-like atmosphere. :lol:

Welcome aboard Mr. Toews. WOW! What a class. I don't care what the gerbils have. This has got to be the best class UND has had in 10 years. I can't wait for October! On the other hand I just can't let this season go. What a physically dominating team. I've been watching Sioux Hockey for a lot of years and I can't ever remember a team as fun to watch as this team. THey clearly were playing the best hockey in the country at the end of this season. Damn I wish we would have won that game! Can't wait for October!

Yet another recruit sucked in by the Ralph's morgue-like atmosphere. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He must have been there on the right night for his visit. It will be interesting to see how he does next year. 17 is pretty young to make an impact in the WCHA but from the sounds of it this is a very talented kid. We are going to have some real skill at forward next year.

Let's let Minnesota put all the pressure on Kessel, and we can just sit back and enjoy watching Toews without expectations that may be hard to live up to. I will be willing to bet that once the beginning of next season starts, Minnesota fans will try to downplay their previous expectations so he isn't looked at as an underachiever if he doesn't reach a certain point total. I think Toews will be good, I just am not going to have expectations that he is going to rip up the league as a 17 year old. I think people, including myself expected too much of Kyle Radke. I don't believe that people can be upset that he didn't put up the numbers we expected, because each rookie adjusts differently. We don't know how Toews willl adjust, we can only hope he makes the adjustment as well as Travis Zajac. If he does put up nice numbers, we can then look at it as a bonus rather than an "oh well, that it what he was supposed to put up" type situation like Kessel will inevitably have to deal with.

I agree TNT.  They're hyping Kessel big time over in gopher land.  Kind of looking at him like a "savior" for their program.  ;)

Let's just let Toews come in without all the pressure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now now. There was only one "savior" that played college hockey. Though he only had a brief time in Grand Forks, he did leave his brother and many friends to carry on his work. :lol:

As for Kessel saving the Gophers? They weren't a bad team last year, I'd say it's more hope that he will give them the instant offense factor that Vanek gave them in his brief stay. But I'm sure your right about many Gophs fans going over the top about him.

Let's just let Toews come in without all the pressure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there will be that much. Look at his supporting cast (assuming no forwards leave early) of Stafford, Zajac, Spirko and Murray. Toss in Porter, Fabian, Prpich and the other great recruits arriving. It's nothing like 2002 when Zach Parise arrived.

Now now. There was only one "savior" that played college hockey. Though he only had a brief time in Grand Forks, he did leave his brother and many friends to carry on his work. :lol:

As for Kessel saving the Gophers? They weren't a bad team last year, I'd say it's more hope that he will give them the instant offense factor that Vanek gave them in his brief stay. But I'm sure your right about many Gophs fans going over the top about him.

You're right. I was just having some fun with all the hobey talk, etc.

PCM, I agree with you too. I'm looking more at the Kessel/Toews comparisons vs. the Toews/existing Sioux forward comparisons.

There's 20 mentions of Kessel in a thread about Toews signing.

Do a search for Kessel at Siouxsports.com (391 mentions).

There's two mentions of Kessel in the Grand Forks Herald story on Toews signing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

red-flashing-light.gifSKIPPY ALERT! red-flashing-light.gif

Great news on Toews. I think that he has experienced play against better competition and excelled at it every bit as much as Kessel has. I am not impressed with the NTDP, and the products it sends to NCAAs. Hopefully Kessel and Stoa are the next Tallackson and Waibel.

Great news on Toews.  I think that he has experienced play against better competition and excelled at it every bit as much as Kessel has.  I am not impressed with the NTDP, and the products it sends to NCAAs.  Hopefully Kessel and Stoa are the next Tallackson and Waibel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that is the case, what will that make Zach Jones?

Didn't Zach Parise play with the U-17 NTDP team?

If that is the case, what will that make Zach Jones?

Didn't Zach Parise play with the U-17 NTDP team?

In the other thread, yzerman19 said that he hasn't been impressed with the NTDP offensive players, and being that Jones is a dman.... ;)

Zach never played with the U17 NTDP team, although he was on the US U17 team. Little bit of difference though. :lol: