SiouxSports.com Forum

UND signs Toews

PCM

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I pyschic??  ;)  I've known this for several weeks.  Can't remember where I read this but I knew this to be fact at least as far back as the UMD play off series. Mmm, maybe I should get my own cable show. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He "verbally" commited around the 1st of the year. This makes it official. :lol:

Am I pyschic??  ;)  I've known this for several weeks.  Can't remember where I read this but I knew this to be fact at least as far back as the UMD play off series. Mmm, maybe I should get my own cable show. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure if it's true...heard the Canadian hockey higher ups were still working on him even after his verbal commitment...was told they may keep him off the World Juniors team if he played @ UND.

This is great news, I know he will be very young coming in next year (17 I believe) but from what I have heard and read this kid has some great talent. It just shows the potential that this kid has if Hak is willing to bring him in as a freshman at 17. He will look great in a Sioux uniform. He probably will not have as much of an immediate impact as Kessel but will be a very good player.

I'm pretty sure that Toews, with the letter of intent, signed away his opportunity to play on the World Junior team for Canada. The MJ leagues have a good influence over Team Canada, IMO.

I'm sure he'll still try out for it, but I'd be very surprised if he did.

And no, don't look for Tri City to back off until he's 21 years old. We're not out of the woods yet.

I'm pretty sure that Toews, with the letter of intent, signed away his opportunity to play on the World Junior team for Canada.  The MJ leagues have a good influence over Team Canada, IMO.

And no, don't look for Tri City to back off until he's 21 years old.  We're not out of the woods yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're just mad they didn't sign Mapletoft :lol:

Toews/Kessel...the new Parise/Vanek ;)

...so it begins

I'm pretty sure that Toews, with the letter of intent, signed away his opportunity to play on the World Junior team for Canada.  The MJ leagues have a good influence over Team Canada, IMO.

And no, don't look for Tri City to back off until he's 21 years old.  We're not out of the woods yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't beleive for a minute that Toews' decision will impact his play on Team Canada in any way. In fact Boston College's Bertram is currently with Team Canada at the U18s. The only reason Toews isn't with the team is because he couldn't break away in time for the current teams training camp. He may not make the coming years junior team but you can bet he will be on the Canadian junior team the following year.

I'm only guessing but I think Kessel is a year younger than Parise was when Parise came to the Sioux. Parise had an immediate impact. From what I've read Kessel is probably a better offensive player than Parise.

I think he'll have immediate impact offensively in the WCHA.

And I think both Kessel and Toews accelerated their schooling? If so they're both probably the same age.

Not sure if it's true...heard the Canadian hockey higher ups were still working on him even after his verbal commitment...was told they may keep him off the World Juniors team if he played @ UND.

Well maybe he'll pull a Brady and play for the US.?

Well maybe he'll pull a Brady and play for the US.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be impossible as Toews only has Canadian citizenship. The only reason some players like Murray and Brett Hull can do it is because they have dual citzenship. Although the Murray family is originally from Brandon, I believe that Brady may have also been born in the US while his dad was either playing or coaching.