SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Iowa State 8/31/24

SiouxFan100

45 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Disagree. Defense was giving up scores no matter who UND played at QB

The line was 28.5 and UND only gave up 21.  Don't think in the big picture defensive issues were the problem.  

17-30 for 121 and a pick doesn't even translate well vs Rugby. Not all on him though. Outside of Bo no one at WR and play calling was what we've seen for a decade. 

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

Jerry missed so many throws in camp that he's not the starter.

Ouch!  So UNDs 2024 qb roster depth is not  fcs top notch?  Average at best maybe ?    Very  unfortunate.   Need a great qb to take it to take  next step.  Along with a competent HC.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, zonadub said:

If there are any doubts as to why Feeney left, just take a measure of Kaminski’s mop-up duty. Schweigert will stay with the starter until injury sidelines Romero. Feeney saw that after spending 3 years watching Schuster.

I have no doubts why feeney left.. he spent the last three years watching and saw his whole college career going by without any meaningful playing time.

How much of the lack of putting in subs is bubba and not the OC?  agree 100% about last year.. feeney should have played more particularly in the blowouts.  

This game though.. seems like if u think romfo is the guy you have to get him game experience.. it wasn’t a blowout and was meaningful snaps.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Time of possession. Iowa State was scoring at will, UND just limited their possessions. It would have worked in terms of winning (which should be the only thing that matters) if UND would have converted in the red zone.

"UND just limited their possessions". Good observation.  This team will be 4-1 heading to Fargo.

Have to be happy with how the O line performed today.  With the RBs we have the run game should definitely be a strength.  Hopefully Romfo can settle down as a passer and make some strides there.  If so, coupled with his scramble ability could be pretty good.  We'll see.

Defense looked meh.  Didn't see much push or pass rush up front.  First pass of the game should have been a pick if the safety turns his head around at all.  

Overall, handled the atmosphere well with next to no penalties or major mistakes.  Bummer that Romfo got hit on the play action that got picked off, I think that might have been open if not.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

We will see what happens next week, but the ceiling on Romfo is not very high from what I saw today.

He is three years into the program, his passing isn't all of the sudden going to improve. He is a total game manager who is better at running than Tommy but isn't close to Tommy throwing.  7-5 here we come.  But whomever said we will only win 4 games, please let's bet 1k on that. 

I do think we can game manage a win home next week at Montana though. 

Probably true but sometimes guys settle in after getting some game action.  I don't think anyone is expecting him to turn into Drew Brees as a passer but we'll see if he can be serviceable.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

"UND just limited their possessions". Good observation.  This team will be 4-1 heading to Fargo.

Iowa State only had the ball four times in the first half, but scored on 2 of the 4 (50%): 14 points total, including scoring on the first drive in just two plays. Second half Iowa State only had the ball three times, scored one of the three, but were playing very conservative to end the game. The UND defense has plenty of work to do.

With that said, the offense and special teams does too. Special teams with kicks out of bounds and missed field goal. The offense’s ability to run the ball and limit possessions was key to why the score was down (UND had a 23 play, 88 yard, 12+ minute drive!-but only 3 points), but they definitely need to improve in the red zone. It’s crucial - need touchdowns, not field goals. Game would have been different if UND offense got in the endzone when in the redzone. Need to tidy that up, but this was Romfo’s first start, it will get better. I’m optimistic for a solid outing in the Alerus versus the Griz on 9/7. Need to get the running game rolling again, capitalize in the red zone, and hit on the open passes when presented.

Overall, given the importance of the defensive and offensive lines, I think we should be somewhat optimistic. UND’s offensive line, sans a couple pass protection opportunities, played very well and was a positive surprise. Defensive front stopped the run quite well, also, just couldn’t defend well on the back end. Things to look forward to, for sure. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Iowa State only had the ball four times in the first half, but scored on 2 of the 4 (50%): 14 points total, including scoring on the first drive in just two plays. Second half Iowa State only had the ball three times, scored one of the three, but were playing very conservative to end the game. The UND defense has plenty of work to do.

With that said, the offense and special teams does too. Special teams with kicks out of bounds and missed field goal. The offense’s ability to run the ball and limit possessions was key to why the score was down (UND had a 23 play, 88 yard, 12+ minute drive!-but only 3 points), but they definitely need to improve in the red zone. It’s crucial - need touchdowns, not field goals. Game would have been different if UND offense got in the endzone when in the redzone. Need to tidy that up, but this was Romfo’s first start, it will get better. I’m optimistic for a solid outing in the Alerus versus the Griz on 9/7. Need to get the running game rolling again, capitalize in the red zone, and hit on the open passes when presented.

Overall, given the importance of the defensive and offensive lines, I think we should be somewhat optimistic. UND’s offensive line, sans a couple pass protection opportunities, played very well and was a positive surprise. Defensive front stopped the run quite well, also, just couldn’t defend well on the back end. Things to look forward to, for sure. 

Fair points.  For such a young team they didn't fold after the quick score.  That is encouraging.  We have a very good OC and OL coach.

• Upvote 4