SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota Athletics Town Hall: May 7, 2024

26 minutes ago, Irish said:

- Information on Bubba's two extension - nothing

If you thought they were going to publicly discuss contract negotiations or a specific coaches employment standing in an open public forum, that's probably on you for something that isn't going to happen. A whole lot of reasons, including legal ones, that wasn't going to happen.

Now, would it have been fair to go a little more in-depth on expectations? Sure. But call it "talking-points" or whatever you want, most of the reasons that have been made public are a good part of the reasoning. Same dead-horse that's been beaten to death over and over. Basically, haven't been funding at the level we need to (head coach or assistant pool) with subpar facilities and have seen the program continue to improve (slower than most want it to, but it is still trending up). Funding has improved facilities continue to improve and are almost complete. They are giving him a chance, at a lower than market price, with a better hand to play with.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I get pretty negative about things sometimes but man you guys all must walk around with big turds in your pants. Why is it such a big deal that the playoff ticket is included in purchase? It’s not like they’re going to just take that money from you. If they don’t make it, it will roll forward. If you don’t get your season tickets the following year, I’d imagine they refund you. What is it, like $20? Come on. 

It's the same $20 that the Athletic Department is going for - And I'm not the only one that doesn't think it's ok.  And it's not the money.  I'm not sure what my schedule will be and based on last year's attendance resale might be hard.  And I'm pretty sure we will have to play this forward next year.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If you thought they were going to publicly discuss contract negotiations or a specific coaches employment standing in an open public forum, that's probably on you for something that isn't going to happen. A whole lot of reasons, including legal ones, that wasn't going to happen.

Now, would it have been fair to go a little more in-depth on expectations? Sure. But call it "talking-points" or whatever you want, most of the reasons that have been made public are a good part of the reasoning. Same dead-horse that's been beaten to death over and over. Basically, haven't been funding at the level we need to (head coach or assistant pool) with subpar facilities and have seen the program continue to improve (slower than most want it to, but it is still trending up). Funding has improved facilities continue to improve and are almost complete. They are giving him a chance, at a lower than market price, with a better hand to play with.

I get that the coaches employment wouldn't be discussed - but fans have no idea what the Athletic Department expectations for any program are or what we are doing to improve.  We are getting improved facilities but does anyone think next year will be an improvement?

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

I get that the coaches employment wouldn't be discussed - but fans have no idea what the Athletic Department expectations for any program are or what we are doing to improve.  We are getting improved facilities but does anyone think next year will be an improvement?

That's none of our business. How dare you ask! :silly:

• Upvote 2

Not that they would talk about it in public, but succession planning for the football program needs to be discussed.  The planning to date has lead to losing two very valuable coaches and multiple players.  I would think that if this is done properly, you would not see the level of attrition that we have.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

Let’s say the planets align and UND gets to host a playoff game this fall. I can’t make it due to prior obligations. Should I just eat that money and be happy about it? I could try to sell my tickets, but I’m pretty sure last year there were 3-4000 seats available for the playoff game last year, so selling those tickets is like selling ice to an Eskimo. So I’m just out the money because UND thinks it should be my obligation or because some old folks don’t understand how the internet works and don’t renew their tickets on time?

How about when we choose to renew our season tickets, there’s a check box next to the playoff game tickets, and those who are able to be there proceed, while those of us who can’t, uncheck the box? 

it isn't about the $20, it’s about the principle. 

I guess you should factor that in. I’m guessing there’s regular season games you could miss too.

• Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I guess you should factor that in. I’m guessing there’s regular season games you could miss too.

I'm factoring it in.  Not renewing my tickets.  Plan going to one or two games.  Watch the rest on TV.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Giving him a chance just now? What has the last decade been? Other FCS coaching staffs do far more with far less. And paying a pig a million bucks still means the pig is a pig. 

CFO also went on record stating that UND’s budget is at the top for FCS schools (which we knew), so can’t use that excuse either. They did mention that it is not an apples-to-apples comparison because other FCS schools don’t sponsor hockey, and of course shot down any idea that the REA - UND ticket revenue agreement is a problem. All in all, it seems that the repeated mention that the administration wants to win as bad as the supporters/fans do is pure garbage and just lip service. Sure, the facilities are improving, but the underlying regime continues to stay the same all while the results on the field are considerably subpar when compared to NDSU and SDSU. There certainly does not seem to be a true arms race. Actions speak louder than words, and UND’s current leaders have lost trust, in my opinion. I don’t believe them. Most in GF and the region want action and results, no more words and promises. Nothing is delivered on. And here we stand. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

Let’s say the planets align and UND gets to host a playoff game this fall. I can’t make it due to prior obligations. Should I just eat that money and be happy about it? 

I mean they are called season tickets. It's a dilemma for every game.

If it makes anyone feel better. Just pretend the season is just one game longer.

If they decide to cancel that last game (cause they didn't make it):

You paid $0.

That said, I don't like it either. They just give you an entire free season after so many playoff misses? Alerus Center concession vouchers? Menards rebate? Never a fan of mandatory borrowing money.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Giving him a chance just now? What has the last decade been? Other FCS coaching staffs do far more with far less. And paying a pig a million bucks still means the pig is a pig. 

CFO also went on record stating that UND’s budget is at the top for FCS schools (which we knew), so can’t use that excuse either. They did mention that it is not an apples-to-apples comparison because other FCS schools don’t sponsor hockey, and of course shot down any idea that the REA - UND ticket revenue agreement is a problem. All in all, it seems that the repeated mention that the administration wants to win as bad as the supporters/fans do is pure garbage and just lip service. Sure, the facilities are improving, but the underlying regime continues to stay the same all while the results on the field are considerably subpar when compared to NDSU and SDSU. There certainly does not seem to be a true arms race. Actions speak louder than words, and UND’s current leaders have lost trust, in my opinion. I don’t believe them. Most in GF and the region want action and results, no more words and promises. Nothing is delivered on. And here we stand. 

Its like you already have your mind made up what your argument is regardless of what you are responding too.....

I said based on what he has done compared to peers with the resources he previously had (subpar facilities, low assistant salary pool, nutrition, etc), it wasn't that hard of a decision to give him a few more years as those deficiencies are slowly disappearing. Especially at what is a below market rate. Would be curious who's on this list of what other staffs have done "far more with far less" over the last 3-5 years? Regardless of overall budget, UND's salary pool, particularly assistant coaches, still remains below average. 

CFO also stated that UND is finally at a level that is with its peers. Not that they've been there for 3, 5 or 10 years. Which is exactly what I previously stated. And he's right, the comparison doesn't mean a ton anyway with how different schools account for different expenses.

You made it clear that it doesn't really matter what anyone says or does. You've made up your mind on what is what and it won't be changed even with your super secret behind closed door meetings. It doesn't mean your right (also doesn't mean you're wrong, but if you aren't, you sure don't have great bedside manner on it). But to have that amount of animosity as it relates to college athletics, particularly at UND's level, is kind of wild.
I'm sure you're already looking at what is a tough schedule, with UND possibly coming out of the offseason with more losses than gains on their roster and just licking your chops at your chance to rip everyone to shreds so you can feel vindicated about some sort of grudge you apparently harbor.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Force you to buy meaningless playoff FB tickets this coming season that will get rolled over for how many years? Before you know it you'll be required to have a shot or two to enter the Alerus.  Wait....nevermind. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F'n Hawks said:

How much longer does Chaves have a job? I think he should be on the hot seat. If football and WBB struggle next year, which I can see happening, he should be out of a job. 

2 years left on his contract.
Considering the facilities improvement he's help oversee along with non-performance related items (academics, community service, budget, etc), I don't see him getting let go a year early because of 2 programs. Would be an interesting question for Armacost on how on field vs off field things weigh into the decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Its like you already have your mind made up what your argument is regardless of what you are responding too.....

I said based on what he has done compared to peers with the resources he previously had (subpar facilities, low assistant salary pool, nutrition, etc), it wasn't that hard of a decision to give him a few more years as those deficiencies are slowly disappearing. Especially at what is a below market rate. Would be curious who's on this list of what other staffs have done "far more with far less" over the last 3-5 years? Regardless of overall budget, UND's salary pool, particularly assistant coaches, still remains below average. 

CFO also stated that UND is finally at a level that is with its peers. Not that they've been there for 3, 5 or 10 years. Which is exactly what I previously stated. And he's right, the comparison doesn't mean a ton anyway with how different schools account for different expenses.

You made it clear that it doesn't really matter what anyone says or does. You've made up your mind on what is what and it won't be changed even with your super secret behind closed door meetings. It doesn't mean your right (also doesn't mean you're wrong, but if you aren't, you sure don't have great bedside manner on it). But to have that amount of animosity as it relates to college athletics, particularly at UND's level, is kind of wild.
I'm sure you're already looking at what is a tough schedule, with UND possibly coming out of the offseason with more losses than gains on their roster and just licking your chops at your chance to rip everyone to shreds so you can feel vindicated about some sort of grudge you apparently harbor.

My mind has been decided based on my own observations. I won’t apologize for producing my own opinion, even if in fact it is different than yours. 

The coaching staff budget could be improved, but again, I do not believe the salary inherently changes the passion or ability of the staff member. It does help hire new capable coaches, if that approach ever arises. 

It absolutely matters what is said or done, and I’ve made that abundantly clear. So, you’re dead wrong. Administration says they care about winning, but yet extend coaches that have won one playoff game in the past decade; and put UND in a vulnerable position, leading to UND alumni coaches and local student-athletes leaving to regional rivals. 

And yes, I think UND’s tough schedule will likely prove me right. I would rather UND win every game on their schedule and I head down to Frisco in January, but I’ll take being correct as consolation. All this lead up to the night game vs Montana in September will be likely deflated by a blowout loss (see 2013, which featured a “wonderful” home schedule). 

SDSU and NDSU are the benchmark, and UND has work to do to catch up. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

My mind has been decided based on my own observations. I won’t apologize for producing my own opinion, even if in fact it is different than yours. 

The coaching staff budget could be improved, but again, I do not believe the salary inherently changes the passion or ability of the staff member. It does help hire new capable coaches, if that approach ever arises. 

It absolutely matters what is said or done, and I’ve made that abundantly clear. So, you’re dead wrong. Administration says they care about winning, but yet extend coaches that have won one playoff game in the past decade; and put UND in a vulnerable position, leading to UND alumni coaches and local student-athletes leaving to regional rivals. 

And yes, I think UND’s tough schedule will likely prove me right. I would rather UND win every game on their schedule and I head down to Frisco in January, but I’ll take being correct as consolation. All this lead up to the night game vs Montana in September will be likely deflated by a blowout loss (see 2013, which featured a “wonderful” home schedule). 

SDSU and NDSU are the benchmark, and UND has work to do to catch up. 

So does everyone else

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

So does everyone else

Nah, that’s complete bullcrap. 
Montana, Montana State, Sac State, Weber State, Villanova, Richmond, Idaho, Delaware, Youngstown all have won multiple playoff games over the past decade. UND isn’t even in that conversation. Again, actions speak louder than words. Nice try though. 

• Upvote 3

At the risk of flogging a dead horse I'll repeat - after the town hall does anyone have a hint of a clue what we are doing to improve our football program to where we want it to be or to improve hockey so they can win a regional game?  Do we even know the metrics  that the AD uses to evaluate the programs or what our standards for success are.  What are we doing to create success and what standards are the programs held to?  We do know the AD Department's feelings on tailgating, the Peterson Poarch, and playoff tickets that may be redeemed some time in the future.  Also we have great insight into our goal song.  What a useless PR stunt.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Nah, that’s complete bullcrap. 
Montana, Montana State, Sac State, Weber State, Villanova, Richmond, Idaho, Delaware, Youngstown all have won multiple playoff games over the past decade. UND isn’t even in that conversation. Again, actions speak louder than words. Nice try though. 

SDSU and NDSU are the bar but winning a playoff game or two is the measuring stick??

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

At the risk of flogging a dead horse I'll repeat - after the town hall does anyone have a hint of a clue what we are doing to improve our football program to where we want it to be or to improve hockey so they can win a regional game?  Do we even know the metrics  that the AD uses to evaluate the programs or what our standards for success are.  What are we doing to create success and what standards are the programs held to?  We do know the AD Department's feelings on tailgating, the Peterson Poarch, and playoff tickets that may be redeemed some time in the future.  Also we have great insight into our goal song.  What a useless PR stunt.  

No. No tough questions were asked and there was very little defiance toward what they said. Just a bunch of head nodding, to be honest. I’m sure some good questions were submitted online but Paul Ralston must’ve “run out of time” to ask them. 

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember when people her proclaimed those people who got IRS refunds at the end of the year "shouldn't be proud" because they borrowed the government money interest free.

Will UND (a government entity) pay interest for borrowing our money if they don't make the playoffs?!

• Upvote 3

Just now, Cratter said:

Peterson Porch is sold out every game? 

...must be to Chaves grandkids right before kickoff every game.

Because it's a ghost town!

People still just gather on the rail and watch the game behind the empty seats. Further creating bottlenecks in the enzones.