SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

8 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

You mean you don’t want to watch teams that aren't UND play in the F4 every year? :ohmy: :lol:

FYP

Projection based on current info:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SR - Berg, Kunz, Schmaltz, Montgomery
JR - Blake, McLaughlin, James, Strinden
SO - Perron
FR - Swanson, Boisvert, Croal, Littler
X - Portal

Defense (9):
JR - Zmolek
SO - Livanavage, Wiebe, Komzak, MacDonald
FR - Jubenvill, Strathmann, Emery
X - Portal

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

Benoit enters portal...wouldn't be surprised if another Dman enters as well.
So still room for another RHD to come in via portal, maybe a JR/SR to balance the classes a little.

So another portal Dman chases who out after next year? Stay with 8 and if you keep Montgomery plug him on the blueline if needed.

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Getting ahead of ourselves a bit, but it won't be a Portal Dman next year at this time, but Laurila. If no one turns pro early, then someone will be on their way out. 

Is the development process of players not even a consideration anymore. You got 8 Dman for next season....not one Sr. Develop them. Pyke was great except when he wasn't available.

This team would be better next year if Constantini was on it.

52 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SO - Perron
X - Portal

Defense (9):
JR - Zmolek
X - Portal

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

So still room for another RHD to come in via portal, maybe a JR/SR to balance the classes a little.

Don’t we typically run with 8 D?

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Don’t we typically run with 8 D?

Yes but I wouldn't be surprised if another D came in...otherwise you're left with only four D with NCAA experience being that Komzak barely played last year.

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yes but I wouldn't be surprised if another D came in...otherwise you're left with only four D with NCAA experience being that Komzak barely played last year.

Did we not have only 4 D with NCAA experience at the start of this season? It just seems unnecessary to me to add a 9th D. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

One game every couple years isn't huge experience.  How about you develop Komzak?

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Did we not have only 4 D with NCAA experience at the start of this season? It just seems unnecessary to me to add a 9th D. 

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

One game every couple years isn't huge experience.  How about you develop Komzak?

<shrugs>

They may very well keep it at the current roster.  I just wouldn't be surprised to see more movement.

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

One of the multiple reasons I hate the portal.  From Komzak’s perspective it’s real easy to leave to go somewhere he’s basically guaranteed playing time.  From the team’s perspective it must be tempting to take a known commodity instead of hoping a player develops to a similar level.

At least we are in the trading up side of the portal equation, but I hate it.

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

One of the multiple reasons I hate the portal.  From Komzak’s perspective it’s real easy to leave to go somewhere he’s basically guaranteed playing time.  From the team’s perspective it must be tempting to take a known commodity instead of hoping a player develops to a similar level.

Funny enough, Komzak was MacDonald’s D partner in juniors. 

5 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

You ruin your ability to recruit talented players with upside if given time to develop because you're seen as a peudo used car salesman. Then it becomes chippas (@gfhockey) or bust.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

You ruin your ability to recruit talented players with upside if given time to develop because you're seen as a peudo used car salesman.

I'd say MacDonald is a talented player with upside, but I do see your point.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Defense (8):
JR - Zmolek

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

Lock this in. Do not add a 9th for next year. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'd say MacDonald is a talented player with upside, but I do see your point.

Agree.......and so was Constantini. 31 points this season says we gave up on him too soon IMO.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agree.......and so was Constantini. 31 points this season says we gave up on him too soon IMO.

I remember him getting A LOT of shots as a sophomore and he didn't deliver. Hindsight 20/20, of course. He had a good year. Where would he have slotted into this year? My guess is the team saw him bottom six and he didn't want it. 

11 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I remember him getting A LOT of shots as a sophomore and he didn't deliver. Hindsight 20/20, of course. He had a good year. Where would he have slotted into this year? My guess is the team saw him bottom six and he didn't want it. 

He's still bottom six. He’s gone for a reason.

41 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Schmaltz......"Hold my beer".

......and let's not forget the missed NCAA Lovefest with Hain and Senden that year. 

Seems some definitely get jettisoned quick while others have rope that is pretty long. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

If he stays…I have a hunch Komzak will be ready. Big athletic kid. Lat bloomer. Put him in the right spots and see how it goes.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, brianvf said:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SO - Perron
X - Portal

Defense (9):
JR - Zmolek
SO - Livanavage, Wiebe, Benoit, Komzak, MacDonald

Goalie (3):
SR - Semptimphelter
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist

Caleb MacDonald comes to UND out of the portal.
Looks to be a solid add for sure, although he is LHD, so we'll be short on RHD for next season unless some more moves are coming.  And that SO class of Dmen is large.
Solid pipeline coming from UAF from the looks of it.

Should just hire their head recruiter.  Seems to be doing all the heavy lifting.  

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

......and let's not forget the missed NCAA Lovefest with Hain and Senden that year. 

Seems some definitely get jettisoned quick while others have rope that is pretty long. 

At times he passes the eye test and he did have that nice frosh year. But…I’m a big numbers guy, especially for those players getting offensive looks. This guy has had the longest leash of all time. I honestly think I would have quadrupled his goal total assuming I could drop 10-15 or so. In all seriousness, hopefully he bounces back next year. We’ll need him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

He's still bottom six. He’s gone for a reason.

He just put up 30+ pts on a team that went to the ncaas. We def could have used him. Had a nice frosh year too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Replacing Schmaltz, fair. But he was bottom 6. So, I still don't think he would have been happy with bottom 6, which is likely why he left. I'm not arguing we couldn't have used him, by the way. I just don't think he would have accepted his role.