SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guesses?

Persson goes; go to portal for a clear one-year rental. My guess? Dom Basse (nee CC and SCSU). 

Forwards out: Gaber, Ness, Johannes, Albrecht, Emerson, Monty. Six open slots. In come Croal, Swanson, Boisvert, Littler, then go to the portal for size and a faceoff guy. 

Defense? I think the five eligible return and in come Strathmann, Jubenvill, and Emery. 

That's a 15/8/3 26-man roster. If there's 27th slot this year I'd think it'd be an insurance one-year portal D. 

Don’t go specifically for size…go get the best players available. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Construct your roster so that there are spots for guys like Montgomery X2 when looking at the F group. Two F’s that will only play in case of injuries. Great teammates, but have their role.

I get what you're saying, but I want F14 and F15 to be pushing to be F11 and F12, not just happy to be in the room. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I get what you're saying, but I want F14 and F15 to be pushing to be F11 and F12, not just happy to be in the room. 

Ideally, F15, F14 still are. They’ll get their shot when injuries impact the roster.

Just to be clear, I’m not a fan of it. What I feel though is this is the reality of the situation in 2024. Adapt or you’ll have guys that regardless if we think it’s right or not are not happy with their situation, which will poison the room. 

Addition: For Berry, trust your recruiting, trust your roster construction. Fr. will have a learning curve, but stick with them. Come March, here’s to a team playing its best hockey.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My guesses?

Persson goes; go to portal for a clear one-year rental. My guess? Dom Basse (nee CC and SCSU). 

Forwards out: Gaber, Ness, Johannes, Albrecht, Emerson, Monty. Six open slots. In come Croal, Swanson, Boisvert, Littler, then go to the portal for size and a faceoff guy. 

Defense? I think the five eligible return and in come Strathmann, Jubenvill, and Emery. 

That's a 15/8/3 26-man roster. If there's 27th slot this year I'd think it'd be an insurance one-year portal D. 

I was bold enough to throw out a name at G (Basse). 

My wish list for two Fs? Harrison Israels (6', 200, scorer, Alaska) and Logan Will (faceoff guy, CC). Both would be one-year rentals. 

If there was a portal D? No idea. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Benny Baker said:

Are there any available coaches in the portal this off-season?

can UND stop hiring and extending coaches who call themselves “Bubba”?

How about a Bubbles?  He knows a thing or two about puck.

image.png.0e9ed566496389bdc546fd9f2affdfe8.png

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I was bold enough to throw out a name at G (Basse). 

My wish list for two Fs? Harrison Israels (6', 200, scorer, Alaska) and Logan Will (faceoff guy, CC). Both would be one-year rentals. 

If there was a portal D? No idea. 

Have to think Pyke would be a good recruiter getting Israels to commit. With them being pals and all

My Projection based on current info:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SR - Berg, Kunz, Schmaltz, Montgomery
JR - Blake, McLaughlin, James, Strinden
SO - Perron
FR - Swanson, Boisvert, Croal, Littler
X - Portal

Defense (8):
JR - Zmolek
SO - Livanavage, Wiebe, Benoit, Komzak
FR - Jubenvill, Strathmann, Emery

Goalie (3):
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist
X - Portal

I think (similar to when we did this last year) that next year has the potential to be a better team than this year.  Both offensively and defensively. 

You lose a dependable scorer in Gaber and a hustle/grit guy in Johannes, but I would expect big years from all the forwards in that JR class and then also for Perron to have a similar improvement like what OMac had from his FR to SO year.  Kunz really stepped up his game 2nd half...a VandeVelde type SR year from him would be great.  Two elite forward frosh that should impact immediately.  Find a diamond in the rough portal grab like Johannes again that can contribute and that is a skilled forward group.

Defensively, Zmolek/Livanagage/Wiebe are the steady core and then add in three very skilled frosh.  Strathmann played an extra year of juniors, so I'd expect him to be able to be a reliable/steady dman from the opening puck drop.  Emery is a beast.  Add in an experienced portal grab for injury insurance or if Benoit/Komzak hit the portal.

Goalie is the only real unknown.  Hedquist showed that he can play at this level, but you still need someone to push him for playing time.  Portal grab for a year until Heil is ready to come in the following year would be ideal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

I hope we find a better goalie.  I am still not sold on the ones we have currently.

Yes - we have Karl on staff who should be great at developing goalies - yet we can't seem to recruit a blue chipper and have had nothing but portal goalies lately.  What gives?  I thought with him we would have solid goaltending every year.  Ludwig definitely went downhill from the first half of the season.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SO - Perron
X - Portal

Defense (8):
SR - Zmolek

Goalie (3):
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist
X - Portal

I think (similar to when we did this last year) that next year has the potential to be a better team than this year.  Both offensively and defensively. 

You lose a dependable scorer in Gaber and a hustle/grit guy in Johannes, but I would expect big years from all the forwards in that JR class and then also for Perron to have a similar improvement like what OMac had from his FR to SO year.  Kunz really stepped up his game 2nd half...a VandeVelde type SR year from him would be great.  Two elite forward frosh that should impact immediately.  Find a diamond in the rough portal grab like Johannes again that can contribute and that is a skilled forward group.

Defensively, Zmolek/Livanagage/Wiebe are the steady core and then add in three very skilled frosh.  Strathmann played an extra year of juniors, so I'd expect him to be able to be a reliable/steady dman from the opening puck drop.  Emery is a beast.  Add in an experienced portal grab for injury insurance or if Benoit/Komzak hit the portal.

Goalie is the only real unknown.  Hedquist showed that he can play at this level, but you still need someone to push him for playing time.  Portal grab for a year until Heil is ready to come in the following year would be ideal.

The portal F and D have to be studs…a top 6 F and top 4 D. Otherwise might as well trust our own development. Get a high end tendy to compete with Hobie. Play both as well, we’ll be good again.

Im just hoping Blake stays. My hunch is he signs though 

1 minute ago, Irish said:

Ludwig definitely went downhill from the first half of the season.

He won how many NCHC goalie of the week awards at the beginning of the season?
Then I don't think he won another one the rest of the year (that I recall).

Add in his injuries/illnesses, and it was a rough 2nd half for him for sure.

Of course, he could come back for another year if he wanted, but it sounds like that won't happen.

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

He won how many NCHC goalie of the week awards at the beginning of the season?
Then I don't think he won another one the rest of the year (that I recall).

Add in his injuries/illnesses, and it was a rough 2nd half for him for sure.

Of course, he could come back for another year if he wanted, but it sounds like that won't happen.

If I were him I’d come back. He’s a goalie, there’s no where to go. He had his moments this year. Run it back.

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

If I were him I’d come back. He’s a goalie, there’s no where to go. He had his moments this year. Run it back.

If both he and Blake come back, then we're set.
We saw this year that Persson has talent...like you said, he had his moments.  Keep that rolling for a year and see what the team can do.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Forward (15):
GR - Jamernik
SO - Perron
X - Portal

Defense (8):
SR - Zmolek

Goalie (3):
JR - Johnson
SO - Hedquist
X - Portal

I believe Zmolek will be a junior next season as far an eligibility goes. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Irish said:

Yes - we have Karl on staff who should be great at developing goalies - yet we can't seem to recruit a blue chipper and have had nothing but portal goalies lately.  What gives?  I thought with him we would have solid goaltending every year.  Ludwig definitely went downhill from the first half of the season.

Heil is supposed to be that guy. 

7 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

I believe Zmolek will be a junior next season as far an eligibility goes. 

Yeah I was wondering about that...CHN has him listed as a junior on both the stats/roster pages.
Modified.  :)

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I'd guess lower tier Swedish/Finland pro league if he left.  

15 minutes ago, brianvf said:

If both he and Blake come back, then we're set.
We saw this year that Persson has talent...like you said, he had his moments.  Keep that rolling for a year and see what the team can do.

You cannot win a title with Persson. He’s way too inconsistent. Sometimes you might just be your numbers.

From the portal:

Basse (G) had three sub .900 years (two at CC, one at SCSU), and then one good year at SCSU.  If you can get his 22/23 SCSU season again, he'd be decent.
Israels (F) from UAF had 20 goals this season and was a 2-yr captain for them.
Will (F) from CC put up ok numbers and is good at faceoffs...also a 2-yr captain.
Risk (F) from UAF with nice numbers his whole college career and still has 2 years of eligibility remaining.
Lovell (D) from ASU put up a pt/gm as a D, I'm sure he'll be courted by many big programs

We'll see more quality players pop up as more teams see their seasons coming to a close.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Kunz really stepped up his game 2nd half...a VandeVelde type SR year from him would be great.

7 g 6 a in last 15 games. Point per game production from Kunz next year would be huge. A Kunz, OMac, and Blake line could put up some big numbers next year.

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

You cannot win a title with Persson. He’s way too inconsistent. Sometimes you might just be your numbers.

Cam Johnson was wildly inconsistent. I was always nervous which Cam would show up to games. The year he backstopped UND to a national championship included the following performances, for example:

pulled at Bemidji after 2 goals on 8 shots;

pulled at St Cloud after 3 goals on 13 shots;

4 goals on 23 shots against Omaha;

pulled against CC after 3 goals on 11 shots;

8 goals on 54 shots during a weekend at Denver;

pulled against Western after 3 goals on 4 shots;

4 goals on 26 shots against Duluth.

He had a helluva national championship game though to go along with that 4-game shutout streak against Denver, Duluth, and Huntsville.  He also shut out Western Michigan 35 days before that performance where he allowed 3 goals on 4 shots against that same Western Michigan team.