SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

2 hours ago, burd said:

Exactly, Wilbur.   We can be fans of the game and program without letting results make or ruin our day.    Small stuff/big stuff.   

That doesn't mean you won't be available if they're in a pinch for a tendie, though, right?

Nobody is saying it should ruin somebody's day or life. But I don't think pointing out that March was a disaster for this team is out of line. Because it is true. And pointing it out has nothing to do with anybody's kids or whether or not our families are more important than the results of a collegiate sporting event. We get emotionally invested in this team because we are fans. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, franchise said:

Was told that he really clicked with Carle and was pretty set on DU since he got back after World Jrs

Since when was Denver on Highway 2?

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

"The 1883 Collective is a third-party college athletics collective tailored for UND athletes, aiming to provide name, image, and likeness (NIL) opportunities and foster community service initiatives. Although it supports UND student athletes, it maintains no direct affiliation with the University of North Dakota." 

https://1883collective.com/faq/ 

So it's just not direct, but the coaches still need to let the NIL know they are recruiting somebody in order for them to offer the NIL money. 

22 minutes ago, RhettRingers said:

Blake is signing with Carolina. Berg is staying for another year. Wilkie visit seemed to go okay, I'm guessing he will be making a decision today sometime.

Well heck, tomorrow's winning PowerBall numbers too please. 

15 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Shhhh, don't bring inconvenient truths into this (sarcasm). ;)

Jeez Louise, 2 pages left to read with more of the same. Sounds like millennials vs boomers thread…. Mr. T and I finally filled our bucket list of seeing them win in Tampa. Loved all our travels supporting the team despite all the disappointment over those 16 years. Gotta take time to smell the roses instead of the losing stench & smelly hockey sweat.

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

Since when was Denver on Highway 2?

The UND stuff was straight from the horse's mouth to my buddy. No idea if he was truly leaning UND at that point, or just said whatever he felt like when people would keep asking about his plans.

Since then, it's been multiple people close to the team that said it was always DU.

55 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But I don't think pointing out that March was a disaster for this team is out of line. Because it is true. 

You're definition of "disaster" is interesting.

A disasterous March would've been losing to WMU (1, 2) then UNO (8, 9), then swept by Miami (15, 16), thus missing the Frozen Faceoff and likely falling out of the NCAAs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RhettRingers said:

Blake is signing with Carolina. Berg is staying for another year. Wilkie visit seemed to go okay, I'm guessing he will be making a decision today sometime.

With how much all these players want NIL money and leverage, he sure would be giving up a lot.  If he stayed and became a free agent he could have his pick of teams, including the hometown Minnesota Wild who don't have a lot of cap room and would love a hometown kid with a rookie contract.   

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You're definition of "disaster" is interesting.

A disasterous March would've been losing to WMU (1, 2) then UNO (8, 9), then swept by Miami (15, 16), thus missing the Frozen Faceoff and likely falling out of the NCAAs. 

Everything that happened after clinching the Penrose. Is that precise enough for you? :wink:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RhettRingers said:

Seemed to go okay, doesn't sound too reassuring.

12 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Seemed to go okay, doesn't sound too reassuring.

You have to remember there was a lot of teams that contacted him when he hit the portal. We have the best facilities in the world, but we are competing against B1G $$$ and Hastings who has made it clear those are the type of guys he wants on his roster.

10 minutes ago, jk said:

Regarding Blake, there are two things that up the angst.  First, as I mentioned earlier, the TV guy said he'd stay.  Second, MN got its legacy back (three years for a first-round pick!).

On the other, more rational side, whatever the weaknesses in his build and game, the guy is a Hobey finalist.  He set the conference record for points in a season.  Heck, he scored almost twice as many points as the aforementioned first-rounder.  If he wants to move on, it's his call.  I only wish he would have weighed my feelings more heavily when deciding.

I would think Blake would want to wait and see how the Hobie voting goes.  If he does not win it, he would have to be one of the favorites for next season.  That is an honor and recognition that can not be taken away and his legacy through future history.  I am sure Carolina is putting a full court press on so they at least get something for that draft pick.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RhettRingers said:

You have to remember there was a lot of teams that contacted him when he hit the portal. We have the best facilities in the world, but we are competing against B1G $$$ and Hastings who has made it clear those are the type of guys he wants on his roster.

Last time I checked, Denver is not in the B1G. They are a small, private school. Yet they are killing us in recruiting and the portal.

51 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Everything that happened after clinching the Penrose. Is that precise enough for you? :wink:

And I say "disasterous" is a mischaracterization of "post-Penrose". We had a team slump at the worst time + goalie illness + a Pyke injury. Disaster? No. Misfortunate? Quite. 

I've defined what I'd call disasterous: A disasterous March would've been losing to WMU (1, 2) then UNO (8, 9), then swept by Miami (15, 16), thus missing the Frozen Faceoff and likely falling out of the NCAAs. 

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Last time I checked, Denver is not in the B1G. They are a small, private school. Yet they are killing us in recruiting and the portal.

I would not trade Strathmann, Boisvert, and Swanson for Pohlkamp plus 2 current DU recruits. 

Now make me the General Manager and Senior VP and Managing Partner of UND Mens Hockey. :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

I would not trade Strathmann, Boisvert, and Swanson for Pohlkamp plus 2 current DU recruits. 

Now make me the General Manager and Senior VP and Managing Partner of UND Mens Hockey. :) 

You sure you want that kind of pressure in your life? :whistling:

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

They are absolutely not killing us in recruiting. They also got one guy this week. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And I say "disasterous" is a mischaracterization of "post-Penrose". We had a team slump at the worst time + goalie illness + a Pyke injury. Disaster? No. Misfortunate? Quite. 

I've defined what I'd call disasterous: A disasterous March would've been losing to WMU (1, 2) then UNO (8, 9), then swept by Miami (15, 16), thus missing the Frozen Faceoff and likely falling out of the NCAAs. 

Whatever adjective you want to use, the month of March was not good. You can spin it however you want, but the coaching staff needs to figure out why this happens after we clinch the Penrose. The main issue is from the neck up, not a lack of physical talent.