SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel

I Ranger

If the Gophers land Kessel (Who cares) it looks like a wash to me with UND landing Toews. I am not sure what UND fans are worried about. And besides as far as I know Kessel hasn't signed or committed to anyone yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we wake up tomorrow and find out that Kessel is a dirty Badger.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone with credibility over on GPL has posted that Kessell has informed both coaches of his decision, and the inference is MN is the choice.  At this point no surprise.

Commence Parise vs. Vanek Part II

:blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are pretty much saying the same thing on KFAN also.

If the Gophers land Kessel (Who cares) it looks like a wash to me with UND landing Toews. I am not sure what UND fans are worried about. And besides as far as I know Kessel hasn't signed or committed to anyone yet. I wouldn't be surprised if we wake up tomorrow and find out that Kessel is a dirty Badger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have only seen each of them play a couple of times, but at this point, I don't see Toews having as big of an impact as PK will.

We'll have to see how the 16-year olds (!) develop before we can get a read on Kessel and Toews, but Kessel seems ahead right now (I've never seen Toews; just on reputation). But if they end up close, then it'll be Parise/Vanek III, because Zajac/Chucko is II.

How many 17 year olds hold a press conference to tell everyone where they are going to college. Unreal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I'm sure Vanek and Parise could have gone anywhere they wanted to and neither of them held a press conference. Sounds like Kessel's been reading too many of his own press clippings.

I agree. I'm sure Vanek and Parise could have gone anywhere they wanted to and neither of them held a press conference. Sounds like Kessel's been reading too many of his own press clippings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the hype is generated more by the old man than the kid. JP Parise would probably be first one to slap Zach around if he had called a press conference. In a way, especially after remembering Patrick O'Sullivan's dad(?), I feel sorry for Kessel. His dad is hyping the kid, and offering tidbits to the press like a PR firm, and he's going to probably the U with huge expectations on his shoulders, and a big target on his back.

Any way, it is pretty nice that the WCHA keeps getting solid talent, which benefits the sport and our programs.

We'll have to see how the 16-year olds (!) develop before we can get a read on Kessel and Toews, but Kessel seems ahead right now (I've never seen Toews; just on reputation).  But if they end up close, then it'll be Parise/Vanek III, because Zajac/Chucko is II.

While Zajac/Chucko could be Parise/Vanek II I don't think that one has much of an argument to carry it. It seems to me that Zajac, at this point in college hockey, outclasses Chucko.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kessel is not holding a press conference. He is holding a conference call. Isn't that better than getting a phone call from the Star Tribune, then taking a call from the Pioneer Press, then the Minnesota Daily, then KFAN, then the Cap Times in Madison and the Wisconsin State Journal, then the Badger Herald, then the Daily Cardinal, then USCHO, then Inside College Hockey, then etc., etc.?

And for the record, the elite high school football and basketball players routinely hold press conferences to announce where they are signing.

Too bad Brooks isn't here to talk some sense into the kid...I'll be honest, I wish he was coming to UND and I'm jealous as hell that he'd rather be a goofer or a stinking badger. I'm holding out hope that he was so impressed with the Ralph and the facilities here and the coaches, etc. that he plans to surprise everyone and go with the Sioux. What back-walking everyone would have to do on a note like that...too funny. Can't you just hear that dumb-s&!t Dubay bad mouthing the kid-currently thought to be the second coming

Too bad Brooks isn't here to talk some sense into the kid...I'll be honest, I wish he was coming to UND and I'm jealous as hell that he'd rather be a goofer or a stinking badger. I'm holding out hope that he was so impressed with the Ralph and the facilities here and the coaches, etc. that he plans to surprise everyone and go with the Sioux. What back-walking everyone would have to do on a note like that...too funny. Can't you just hear that dumb-s&!t Dubay bad mouthing the kid-currently thought to be the second coming

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinda like some of the Sioux fans bad-mouthing him now? Do you think their tune would change if he gave UND a verbal? The Gopher board will no doubt be minimizing his talent in a similiar fashion if he opts for Wisconsin.

Well, whether it's the gophers or badgers that land this kid, I'm glad that he'll end up in the WCHA. Anyone who thinks this kid will be a bust is highly mistaken. He is probably the most offensively talented player to enter the league in a long time, and his skating ability is about as good as Parise's. He will be dangerous, but there are many other great players in the WCHA that he will be competing with. Watching him and Toews in a gopher/sioux game is going to be pretty damn exciting.

I am quite scared to see what Kessel, Potulney and Irmen will do together on a line though.... Those three alone could rip through the WCHA quite handily.

First of all...chances are it is USA Hockey that is setting up the whole press conference/conference call. This kid is a media circus for the USNDP and they are most likely gonna use that to their advantage however they can.

Second, I believe it was scouts (or perhaps the coach of the U18 squad) who was quoted as saying that Kessel was the best American borne player since Mike Madano. It isn't like Dubay is making this stuff up.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way eh boys :blush:

First of all...chances are it is USA Hockey that is setting up the whole press conference/conference call.  This kid is a media circus for the USNDP and they are most likely gonna use that to their advantage however they can. 

Second, I believe it was scouts (or perhaps the coach of the U18 squad) who was quoted as saying that Kessel was the best American borne player since Mike Madano.  It isn't like Dubay is making this stuff up.

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way eh boys :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since when did "chances are" and "I believe" qualify statements as facts?

I'm too lazy to research it...has there ever been a college player who was (or projected to be) the first overall pick in the NHL draft?

There has to have been. DiPietro maybe? :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DiPeitro - yes

Kariya is the next closest that I can think of at #4