SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel

I Ranger

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why isn't the sioux in the running? Didn't they offer him anything worth wild. Not that the best arena in college hockey isn't enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sioux are not in the running for one of the big reasons ZP ended up being a Sioux. Ice size. ZP wanted to play on NHL size sheet and PK wants to play on the big sheet.

Sioux are not in the running for one of the big reasons ZP ended up being a Sioux. Ice size. ZP wanted to play on NHL size sheet and PK wants to play on the big sheet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a piss poor reason for not choosen a school. Who cares what size the ice is and if you are that good you should be able to make the best out of it.

That is a piss poor reason for not choosen a school. Who cares what size the ice is and if you are that good you should be able to make the best out of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is part of my point. The kid has played the majority of his hockey with the national team hence international hockey on the large international ponds for the most part. No doubt that he has a set of wheels and the moves but lets see how he does in a real hockey arena with a good old physical WCHA defense before people start thinking he is the second coming.

You know, the more I think of it, I really hope Kessel gets a ton of media and hype all through his college career. I remember when ZParise was getting a ton of national coverage before, and after, he came to campus, and I think it really affected the team and the fans negatively.

Hell, I hope ESPN, The New York Times, the Globe and Mail and Fox News follow him every waking moment of the day, and hound him in the locker room to the exclusion of his team mates and coach. As a matter of fact, I think I'll email the sports desk at NYT and let them know that the greatest hockey player since Maurice Richard is going to announce a college on Friday, or perhaps next week ... :D:blush:

Kessell played against the world's best competition (for his age) on the "small rink" in the Ralph and funny, he did just fine.

Anyone who thinks the small rink is suddenly going to make him lose his game is deluding themselves, IMO.

How good he will be in college does remain to be seen, but I think there's no doubt he's going to be a top player for whoever gets him. I'm hoping our D can play him tough and give him little space to work. We'll see.

You know, the more I think of it, I really hope Kessel gets a ton of media and hype all through his college career.  I remember when ZParise was getting a ton of national coverage before, and after, he came to campus, and I think it really affected the team and the fans negatively. 

Hell, I hope ESPN, The New York Times, the Globe and Mail and Fox News follow him every waking moment of the day, and hound him in the locker room to the exclusion of his team mates and coach.  As a matter of fact, I think I'll email the sports desk at NYT and let them know that the greatest hockey player since Maurice Richard is going to announce a college on Friday, or perhaps next week ...  :D  :blush:

We'll get ahold of his phone number through the campus directory and call him at all hours of the night.... :lol:

Kessell played against the world's best competition (for his age) on the "small rink" in the Ralph and funny, he did just fine.

Anyone who thinks the small rink is suddenly going to make him lose his game is deluding themselves, IMO. 

How good he will be in college does remain to be seen, but I think there's no doubt he's going to be a top player for whoever gets him.  I'm hoping our D can play him tough and give him little space to work.  We'll see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Review his stats and check out which teams he did well against. He had hot and cold games and no coincidence that his hot games where against teams such as the Swedes who are infamous for their no contact hockey. He looked frustrated in the tight checking games so think of how he will feel after a good old WCHA mugging.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I just can't see how you can downplay PK's WJC experience. He didn't ONLY score against Sweden, and of course players will put up better numbers against the lesser opponents. The fact is that he outscored almost all of his teammates, most of whom were two years older and are current college standouts. I'm sure he will have his trying moments, and someone will probably catch him with his head down, but most of the attempted big hits are going to catch air.

The big programs get great players, and MN is getting at least their fair share of them right now. He's not less great because he chose MN. Fortunately the Sioux are getting their share too. So bring on the next few years.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I just can't see how you can downplay PK's WJC experience.  He didn't ONLY score against Sweden, and of course players will put up better numbers against the lesser opponents.  The fact is that he outscored almost all of his teammates, most of whom were two years older and are current college standouts.  I'm sure he will have his trying moments, and someone will probably catch him with his head down, but most of the attempted big hits are going to catch air. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you, he did all that and was still younger than everyone else. I'm now sure why people are trying to say what he did at the WJC doesn't matter, because it did show that he can definitely play the game very well.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I just can't see how you can downplay PK's WJC experience.  He didn't ONLY score against Sweden, and of course players will put up better numbers against the lesser opponents.  The fact is that he outscored almost all of his teammates, most of whom were two years older and are current college standouts.  I'm sure he will have his trying moments, and someone will probably catch him with his head down, but most of the attempted big hits are going to catch air. 

The big programs get great players, and MN is getting at least their fair share of them right now.  He's not less great because he chose MN.  Fortunately the Sioux are getting their share too.  So bring on the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you. He's a special player. Johnny Pohl had some interesting comments about him yesterday on the radio. He called him the real deal, but said that with a player like Kessel, you take the good with the bad. Namely, don't expect him to be around more than 1 or 2 years (he said something about taking the prettiest girl to the dance and don't expect to have her for long).

Namely, don't expect him to be around more than 1 or 2 years (he said something about taking the prettiest girl to the dance and don't expect to have her for long).

Oh, so that's the secret to Lucy's recruiting success; he takes recruits dancing. :blush::D

The big programs get great players, and MN is getting at least their fair share of them right now.  He's not less great because he chose MN.  Fortunately the Sioux are getting their share too.  So bring on the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I love seeing most of the top recruits come to WCHA schools. It will make for some great hockey over the next few years. I may be wrong but I see Kessel as the same type of player as Vanek. Great offensively but weak on the defensive end.