SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel

I Ranger

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think Parise got mugged in the WCHA wait until you see what happens to a  little waif like Kessel.  Parise was stocky and tough so he could take a licking and keep on ticking.  Kessel looks very good in patty-cake hockey like the game with the Swedes but we'll see what happens to Kessel's game when the going truly gets tough.  I don't believe he will be the impact player in the WCHA that everyone is expecting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe Kessel is listed at 6'0" 180lbs. I don't know if he is 6', but I thougth he was pretty stocky.

At what point did Phil Kessel become possibly the best American ever. Answer- when Dubay decided he was leaning to Minnesota. I never have heard that before. I have heard he is going to be a great player, but nothing to that level. I was at that Sweden game that Dubay described, and while he made some great moves, I wouldn't classify them as ridiculous. I have seen him play about 10 times, and I have been impressed and alternatively unimpressed at times, which is understandable considering his age. That said, I don't think Minnesota will be losing many games on home ice next year. On a small ice surface however, I think it is possible to get in his face and neutralize him, as some World Junior teams figured out after they saw the Sweden game. After all Drew Stafford led the U.S. team in scoring and he doesn't exactly light up the WCHA. You may gain a Kessel and lose a Potulny if the NHL comes to an agreement, which might be a wash until Kessel gets some WCHA experience.

At what point did Phil Kessel become possibly the best American ever.  Answer- when Dubay decided he was leaning to Minnesota.  I never have heard that before.  I have heard he is going to be a great player, but nothing to that level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have to agree with you there. The more he started to lean towards Minnesota, the more Dubay started to tout him as the "best American ever".

This kid is really good, no doubt about that, but he is a long ways away from getting crowned the best American ever.

I don't want to be the typical fan who downplays an opponent's recruit because he didn't play for their team, so I would have to say that comparisons to Spehar are unwarranted. He has shown flashes of brilliance, but when Dubay, after watching him play against Minnesota says he is automatically going to be their best player, I think they are downplaying how good Potulny is. I am not saying he won't be their best player, but to base that on one or two times watching him is typical rube behavior. By saying that, he is saying that Stafford is better than anyone on Minnesota because he was by far the most consistent player on the U.S. squad. I would expect Kessel to get around 60 points or so next year with 25 to 30 goals which is a fantastic rookie season. I just hope that the Sioux have Prpich get under his skin a bit without getting too many penalties, because I can see an intimidation factor for someone that age. But to me, it is hard not to see by watching him how he isn't going to put up good numbers, he just might be a little erratic at times putting up 4 points one night then none for the next, kind of like Parise in his rookie year. Let's just hope he puts up good enough numbers in a non-Championship season to get the heck out of Dodge quickly.

I was reading through the myriad Kessel threads on GPL this morning and noticed some shots that you were taking at the "SS.com boys." I was wondering why, if you don't like what is said over here - it being a Sioux board and all - do you keep coming back for more? ;) And why does the belittling of PK's abilities, or whatever was said, by some Sioux fans have you all riled up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree; seems like Skippy's second coming to me.

At the close at this morning's kfan show, the kfan people decided they don't like either Moorhead or Warroad in the two MN state tourneys. I wonder why? ;)

is it any odder for me to NOT post certian things here and other things on GPL any different than posts here and there than GE, sagard or peeps from SS.com that post on both places?

To try and answer some questions posed:

Not the second coming of skippy, sorry, I rarely try to flame over here and if I do I always try to add an appropriate emoticon dealio.

Why do I come here still? Because generally I get along with you all (some better'n others) and you guys have some good talk going on here and it is always good to see what the "enemy" is saying! :silly:;)

As for being riled up, not really, if you actually read my post here, there is a second, more hidden meaning in it. Unlike other Gopher fans I am not espousing that PK would automatically lead to more NC's (altho it would be nice).

That all said, he will be a good player for whomever lands him, just as ZP was for UND. Will he be the biggest change in college hockey? Who knows, but I really doubt that ONE player can affect a team as much as everyone wants to think.

WPoS

How many 17 year olds hold a press conference to tell everyone where they are going to college. Unreal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it seems very Lindros-like to me... except Lindros didn't go to college. Come to think of it, I wonder if Eric could have maintained academic eligibility anyways.

And yes, I am already tired about the Kessel hype. I mean, this is the biggest 2 year (maybe) committment to date! :silly:

And yes, I am already tired about the Kessel hype. I mean, this is the biggest 2 year (maybe) committment to date! :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Puffy will be on suicide watch if PK goes to UW. :D

Wherever he goes, he had better contribute, ot there will be some pissed off fans!

WPoS

His press conference isn't until Friday now delaying this crap even longer.  Just get it over with already Phil.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow, can we drag this out any more? I guess he could if he wanted, but glad he is going to end it friday, or will it be saturday, maybe sunday, possibly monday......

is it any odder for me to NOT post certian things here and other things on GPL any different than posts here and there than GE, sagard or peeps from SS.com that post on both places? 

AHHHHHHHHHHH! The bed's spinning....make it stop!

:blush: