SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel

I Ranger

I don't think Kessel is overrated, but he is getting a lot of hype before ever playing a game. I think Kariya was better coming in, though not American born. Also, Kessel is not the greatest born American player, that is just a joke. The Gophers have a great class coming in and could have a great season and win a NCAA title, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

1) Paul Kariya was 25-75-100 in his freshman year and the Maine team almost went unbeaten. That being said the game is different now and Kessel won't reach those numbers. I think Parise freshman numbers are attainable and probable.

2) Also the "best" or "most talented" teams don't always win it all. There are a lot of teams that should have or were favorites to win NCAA Championships, but in a one game playoff structure any team can go down. The list may not be the best teams, but they were all strong top ranked teams that didn't do it.

96-97 Michigan

97-98 Sioux

98-99 Sioux

99-00 Wisconsin

01-02 Denver

03-04 Sioux

3) There is a big difference from what is on paper and what is on the ice. A team can look unbeatable on paper, but chemistry, injuries and bad luck can derail and championship run.

Basically, the Gophers have a great class, but the Sioux's class looks great also. A healthy Sioux team without many early defections will be a good team next year and will be a challenge for the Gophers. We'll see what everything looks like in October.

For now, the Gophers shouldn't order a 05-06 banner and we should concentrate on this season.

GO SIOUX. Beat Ain't Proud State this weekend.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) Also the "best" or "most talented" teams don't always win it all. There are a lot of teams that should have or were favorites to win NCAA Championships, but in a one game playoff structure any team can go down. The list may not be the best teams, but they were all strong top ranked teams that didn't do it.

99-00 Wisconsin

For now, the Gophers shouldn't order a 05-06 banner and we should concentrate on this season.

GO SIOUX. Beat Ain't Proud State this weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't say that Wisconsin was the most talented team that season. Wisconsin had one line and basically rode it as far as they could till teams like UND shut them down in the WCHA final five.

I wouldn't say that Wisconsin was the most talented team that season. Wisconsin had one line and basically rode it as far as they could till teams like UND shut them down in the WCHA final five.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wisconsin may not have been the most talented team, but they did have Heatley and were Ranked #1 a good part of the season. They won the WCHA that season and were a favorite if not THE favorite going into the NCAAs even after losing to ND.

Like I stated in my first post the teams I listed were not all the best teams, but all were highly ranked teams that held the #1 ranking a good part of the year. I was basically saying the best team doesn't always win.

TSN report from last night.    congrats to the goophs.  hopefully when he gets there he doesn't have any classes with any of the hotties the U of M has to offer.  being a stud like that and following your girlfriend around can be a bad thing. :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Teams are really going to be gunning for the Goofers next year. Hopefully all the high expectations will lead to failure. Luckily the games are not played on paper cause the Goofs will be loaded next season.

Goofs are loaded on paper because everyone including this chat is helping to create their mythological beast with unwarranted hype.  I prefer to hype our own incoming class as the next great beast. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only Sioux hype is warranted.

Thanks for stopping by there Slapstick....err..Skippy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're a one trick pony, junior.

As many as there are Sioux fans comparing Kessell with Spehar.  My point is it's a tired old refrain.  Find one or 2 posters from your rival's site and then make like the whole fan base has the same point of view.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100%. :blush:

This was posted, but someone must have deleted it.

http://www.usahockey.com/usa_hockey/news/m..._ncaa_0303405//

It's official, he's a Gopher.

Now we can all resume our lives. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is too bad that I now have to hate him. :blush: Isn't it ironic for the self-proclaimed state of hockey, the top incoming recruit is from Wisconsin, the 2 best players on the current team are from North Dakota, and the best player on the last 2 championship teams are from Austria and North Dakota? :D That is not meant as disrespect to Minnesota, which still provides the most D1 players, but it certainly emphasizes that Minnesota is no longer the only show. Doug Woog must be wondering if "only I had recruited out-of-state kids".

Let's see how many trolls we catch with this message!

It is too bad that I now have to hate him. :blush: Isn't it ironic for the self-proclaimed state of hockey, the top incoming recruit is from Wisconsin, the 2 best players on the current team are from North Dakota, and the best player on the last 2 championship teams are from Austria and North Dakota? :D That is not meant as disrespect to Minnesota, which still provides the most D1 players, but it certainly emphasizes that Minnesota is no longer the only show. Doug Woog must be wondering if "only I had recruited out-of-state kids".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And who'd have thunk they'd add a couple of Canucks in UpChucko and Dead Kennedy as well. Makes it even easier to hate them for being such hypocrites.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All in can say to that post is BINGO!!!

I checked that GPL out for the first time out of curiousity...Some poster named HAMMY....posts something in favor of signing Kessel - a kid growing up in Wisconsins back yard and then says "no thanks" to the UW....Geez...wasn't that the case with ZP?? How soon they forget... :blush:

Well, gosh, after reading all of this we might as well throw him back! Say what you want about Kessel not being a defensive player, Kessel isn't physical enough, etc....but don't forget, the kid is only 17 years old!

I saw the USA team play against MN at Mariucci a few weeks ago. Kessel (and the rest of the team) is very physical, and he's tough to hit anyway. He was the best player on the ice and made some pretty speedy defensemen--college defensemen, mind you--look just plain silly at times.

Along with Kessel, Stoa and Mueller really stood out. Minnesota's future looks bright, but in the WCHA you have to come to play every night...and winning a NCAA title is even harder. No guarantees, but I like our chances.

Kessel will be a dominant college hockey player next year. He has been playing world class hockey for the past 6 months+, and he has dominated at EVERY LEVEL...not to mention he is a consensus Number 1 pick in the NHL draft and has been compared to the likes of Modano and Roenick. Whoever compares him to Spehar just doesn't understand hockey. The two are worlds apart.

I'm just glad I get to see him play (I said the same of Parise). If he would have selected another league, we all would have been robbed of that.