SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. UW

DamStrait

I like the bipolarness (probably not even a word) of this thread when you compare it to the UAA thread. UND has a bad weekend and people are like lemmings, looking for the Cliffs of Dover to jump off of. UND has a very good weekend and everybody is happy as a clam and crapping out flowers.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hak played a keeper who was hot the night before. ;) Good move, sorry it took you 4 months to figure that one out. :silly:

I felt like for the first time this season we stole a point, which is in contrast to the many times I felt that other teams stole a point or 4 from us.

I find it funny how there are people on this site (and others) saying the arena sounds quiet. Sometimes it is taken farther, and they are noticably upset. I understand that some aren't able to get here, and I also realize that the atmosphere is crumby regularly. However, being at the game I can tell you that it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. When it mattered the crowd did get into it. Yes, there were times it sounded like a library or a TV on mute; but that's SOP for the new Ralph. I thought it was a fun game to be at, and wish I could've been there Saturday.

I was really happy with Smaby's play this weekend. He may have contributed to an opposing goal last night, but he had a strong weekend. I think when it comes down to it in the next few years, he will be a strong d-man. He can be a good puck handler and skater, and is minimizing mistakes as of late.

I thought Stafford was off his game tonight. He was given some good chances (common for that line) to move the puck, and more often than not he tried to do too much or fumbled it away. Usually he's solid, but tonight he didn't have it.

The defense looked great, in my opinion, aside from a few mistakes. I think they were up in the offensive zone making plays more often than I've seen in awhile. They did have some breakdowns, but it happens and JP was able to bail them out more than once.

The PP was good this wknd. There were a few busts, but overall, without scoring a lot they were pretty fluid moving the puck. A LOT of blocked shots for UW saved them today. It looks better than it has in years, though, can't deny that. Very organized when they gain the zone and set up.

Whoa there.  Losing to an unranked team that the Sioux beat by 3 goals the night before, then following it by taking 3 pts. from the #6 team in the country will tend to that.

The UAA thread wasn't a good example. I guess I was just speaking generally. People just get too negative here. Last weekend notwithstanding cause it was deserved. :silly:

I was at the game tonight and the reason you could hear a pin drop is because it was a boring defenceve game eith little shots on goal.

To be honest i almoast fell asleep till overtime when it finnaly picked up

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I normally don't do this... but you should really run spell checker. Everybody makes mistakes sometimes, but this post is a little overboard.

One thing that did get discussed this weekend was the play of Robbie Earl, specifically his lack of sportsmanship. Apparently he is like this every weekend so why were hockey fans so surprised when he didn't get selected for the US Junior team. Mind you he would a been a nice fit on the Russian team :silly:

One thing that did get discussed this weekend was the play of Robbie Earl, specifically his lack of sportsmanship.  Apparently he is like this every weekend so why were hockey fans so surprised when he didn't get selected for the US Junior team.  Mind you he would a been a nice fit on the Russian team  :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of sportsmanship, what's with MacMurchy skating around the ice while the Sioux players are being introduced? He did it both nights this weekend. Not showing any respect for his opponents if you ask me.

Speaking of sportsmanship, what's with MacMurchy skating around the ice while the Sioux players are being introduced?  He did it both nights this weekend.  Not showing any respect for his opponents if you ask me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He also threw a water bottle into the student section when he was in the penalty box.

Its possible, but not likely. Wisconsin is very beatable and didn't impress me all that much this past weekend. If it wasn't for their goaltending Wisconsin would be further down in the standings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UW is very beatable. They would be lower in the standings had the Gophers not choked away the home series' with MTU and AA. If the Gophers and UND are in the play in game, I'm not going to be pleased.

As it sits right now, if UND gets just one point or UMD fails to earn just one point UND gets the home ice.

Put another way:

UMD's only way to achieve home ice is sweep Wisconsin and have St. Cloud sweep the Sioux.

Here's another thought for UMD fans:

UW wants to hold onto third place (as in no play-in game at the Final Five) in the league standings. They need two points to guarantee that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you are saying is that if the teams end up tied, UMD has the tiebreaker. I was just wondering what that tiebreaker is. Total goals? Goal differential? Which team can fit the most players in a phone booth?

I'm not saying that it will happen, as JBSU's chances of sweeping the Sioux are about as good as the entire Sioux team being struck by lightning twice while Hakstol scratches off his winning lottery ticket.

So what you are saying is that if the teams end up tied, UMD has the tiebreaker.  I was just wondering what that tiebreaker is.  Total goals?  Goal differential?  Which team can fit the most players in a phone booth?

I'm not saying that it will happen, as JBSU's chances of sweeping the Sioux are about as good as the entire Sioux team being struck by lightning twice while Hakstol scratches off his winning lottery ticket.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first tie breaker is conference wins, both would be tied at 12.

Then you look at H2H wins, the teams would again be tied, 1-1

The next tiebreaker is H2H goals, the Sioux would win that 9-4

I believe that is the way it works, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Tippitt, Ludwig, Wilson..  Got rid of Belfour and replaced him with Turco,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of Ludwig, he was an assistant for the Dallas AAA midget team that played recently at the REA midget tourney.

The Wisco Sunday game, a bit concerning that the Sioux seemed to die again in the last 10 minutes of the third. Didn't appear they were backing in trying to preserve a tie, but they were badly outplayed during that stretch yet again. Lucky that JPar and the posts preserved the tie. Some good jump again in the OT, scoring chances eliminated by two glaring tackles by Wisco in their own end.

Sioux, although not slow, are not as speedy as they were in the late 90's, but Wisco certainly can make a team look faster. What a bunch of big plodders. Can't imagine them making the FF.

And who is going to call in Wednesday night and ask the "where's Radke" question?

UW is very beatable. They would be lower in the standings had the Gophers not choked away the home series' with MTU and AA. If the Gophers and UND are in the play in game, I'm not going to be pleased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I don't know, it seems like a possible win-win situation if UND ends up beating the Gophers. If I were a Gopher fan I would be worried with the state your goaltending and defense. Anyways it would make for a great play-in game.

Edited by Goon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll go out on a limb here and say that this would be a record crowd for a play-in game at the F5.

Some good jump again in the OT, scoring chances eliminated by two glaring tackles by Wisco in their own end..........

I'm happy to hear the Sioux were buzzing in OT. Frankly, my perception is that they regularly have it handed to them in OT, and this goes back over some years.

.......And who is going to call in Wednesday night and ask the "where's Radke" question?

Sagard?

i thought it was a great weekend for the sioux. i've been to nearly all of the home games and still can't figure out a couple of strategies. anyone know about the breakout? i can't figure out why the defensemen take it nearly to the blueline and try to break out to the neutral zone. it is terrible hockey to watch because 90% of the time the opponent intercepts and dumps it back in. i know we've beat the power play to death on here, but i still don't get the dump on the power play while rushing 4 guys up ice. i think the sioux will be in good shape this weekend and ready for duluth with only 1 loss in their final 6 games of the year if they get a sweep this weekend (no prediction, though!).