SiouxSports.com Forum

The North Dakota/Minnesota Hockey Rivalry: What Are Your Favorite Memories?

Dave Berger

This is not a hockey moment per se, but I remember about 30+ years ago when the Minny cheerleaders skated a sign that read "Minnesota:  America's Team".  The fans at the old Ralph were so enraged that they started throwing things at them.  The funny part was the next day on the news, when Pat Sweeney (if I remember right) put together a video segment on the sports news of that, and added in a clip from SNL:  "They pelted us with rocks and garbage"!

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Mine as well.  Was a college student at the time.  From standing in line for hours with a bunch of friends, snowballs at the bus, etc.  The crowd during the timeout in the 3rd was crazy.  Instead of settling things down, it cranked the crowd up several notches.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

This is not a hockey moment per se, but I remember about 30+ years ago when the Minny cheerleaders skated a sign that read "Minnesota:  America's Team".  The fans at the old Ralph were so enraged that they started throwing things at them.  The funny part was the next day on the news, when Pat Sweeney (if I remember right) put together a video segment on the sports news of that, and added in a clip from SNL:  "They pelted us with rocks and garbage"!

image.thumb.png.d10711fdae85d76c5db1354db280e171.png

You mean this?:D

• Upvote 2

Chris Porter scores wraparound goal in 2007 regional final to beat Minny

Kevin Wehrs gets blown up TWICE in the same spot at REA...once by Frattin and once by Malone?

Blais beats Wooger in Bubble Hockey...

Armbrust goal in the 1997 Final Five final in OT

Knocking them out of the Frozen Four in 2005 in Columbus; Zajac and Fabian with 2 goals each.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

One of my favorite games I have attended and favorite period of hockey. I turned to my Gopher fan buddy when we scored and said UND is going to win this. Just felt the buzz. After the second goal he wanted to leave. I did feel bad for DeBus a little bit though because I think his wife and kids were at the game.

• Upvote 2

My first memorable gopher hockey memory was seeing Bill Butters get the boot for fighting then seeing him get into a fight with fans as he walked off the ice at what I think was the southwest corner gate at the old barn.   Butters was considered a first class bad guy by Sioux fans in those days.