SiouxSports.com Forum

The North Dakota/Minnesota Hockey Rivalry: What Are Your Favorite Memories?

Dave Berger

While it wasn't a rivalry game per say, the regional game between Minnesota and Holy Cross. I remember going to the KFAN remote out at the Long-Haul Saloon, and everyone on the Gopher side looked past the Crusaders. It was on and on about UND had no chance the mighty Gophers and Michigan was probably going to win.  I remember, the game, I went with a buddy of mine that was a Gopher fan. After the Gophers lost in OT, I remember going to the bathroom. I was trying to use the facilities and this pathetic Gopher fan comes up to me, and says "we would have won." I laughed at him and said, Skippy your team is already on the bus ride home. Please go away so I can finish my business. I remember how loud the arena was after the game and it never quieted down. Michigan came out and UND drilled them 5-0. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Goon said:

While it wasn't a rivalry game per se, the regional game between Minnesota and Holy Cross. I remember going to the KFAN remote out at the Long-Haul Saloon, and everyone on the Gopher side looked past the Crusaders. It was on and on about UND had no chance the mighty Gophers and Michigan was probably going to win.  I remember, the game, I went with a buddy of mine that was a Gopher fan. After the Gophers lost in OT, I remember going to the bathroom. I was trying to use the facilities and this pathetic Gopher fan comes up to me, and says "we would have won." I laughed at him and said, Skippy your team is already on the bus ride home. Please go away so I can finish my business. I remember how loud the arena was after the game and it never quieted down. Michigan came out and UND drilled them 5-0. 

We had seats to the left of the Michigan bench. A guy in our row yelled at them “does the Michigan FB team know a bunch of pussies are wearing their helmets”).

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Goon said:

While it wasn't a rivalry game per say, the regional game between Minnesota and Holy Cross. I remember going to the KFAN remote out at the Long-Haul Saloon, and everyone on the Gopher side looked past the Crusaders. It was on and on about UND had no chance the mighty Gophers and Michigan was probably going to win.  I remember, the game, I went with a buddy of mine that was a Gopher fan. After the Gophers lost in OT, I remember going to the bathroom. I was trying to use the facilities and this pathetic Gopher fan comes up to me, and says "we would have won." I laughed at him and said, Skippy your team is already on the bus ride home. Please go away so I can finish my business. I remember how loud the arena was after the game and it never quieted down. Michigan came out and UND drilled them 5-0. 

i may have relayed this story before....but here it goes.  my brother in law and i went to the game, sat next to a gentelman and his 2 younger kids..he was nice enough, and we chatted a bit before the game began..where to go after the game, where BWW was located, ect...then he says to me" glad they didnt seed Bemidji in Grand Forks, you guys would have been pulling for them for sure"..didnt have he heart to tell him it didnt matter who the goofs played, we are cheering against them.  after HC first goal, he about turned white, realizing how we absoluteliy cant stand the Gophers.   after the win, he stayed for about the first half of the first period of the UND-Mich. game, and quietly left.  

• Upvote 1

One that isn’t so memorable in the sense that UND was the primary focus but circa 1995/1996 season, I was attending a CC game at the Air Force Academy Cadet Ice Arena (CC’s temporary home while they were building World Arena), the Tigers were chasing the McNaughton Cup with the Gophers neck and neck down the home stretch.

During the CC game, the PA guy kept the Tigers fans up to date with scores from the Sioux/Gophers game. Every time it was announced that UND was winning, there’d be a huge roar from the CC fans.

Upon the final update that UND had won, the crowd went absolutely nuts in delight. As a UND fan, I felt proud to at least experience a vary rare occurrence of a non-North Dakota fan base cheering on the Sioux so loudly (for selfish reasons, of course). Fun memory though nonetheless to see UND do their part in helping some other team win the conference championship at the expense of the Gophers winning it. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:47 AM, Goon said:

I've gotten to know Virg over the years, and he's got some great stories. The guy is an amazing historian of all things UND hockey. 

I remember when Norte Dame, Michigan, Michigan State and Northern Michigan left the WCHA to join the CCHA  

Virg wrote in a column that the CCHA must stand for the Can’t Cut-it Hockey Association  :lol:

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Stack said:

Our daughter's email recap of Sioux at Minny on Saturday 27 2007 while we were on a cruise.

Hello Parentals:

First Period:
Both teams came out strong and Minnesota made clear their intentions to play rough with anger by trying some pushing and stuff after the very first whistle.  The game was pretty even for the first half of the first period and then North Dakota scored the first goal (Zajac). Wooooooooooooo.  A couple of minutes later North Dakota scored again (Duncan). Yaaaaaaay!  Then the penalties started.  Apparently, we hadn't learned much from the game last night.  Basically, the rest of the first period involved the killing of penalties followed by more penalties all on our part of course.  Minnesota scored on a 5 on 3 to make it 2-1.  Then Minnesota scored again and again.  Two of their goals were on power play. So it was 2-3 towards the end of the period.  Then with a minute or two left. Bina cleared the puck from right next to our goal.  It bounced down the ice right on net and bounced right over the goalie's leg!  HA HA HA HA!  It was possibly the best goal I've ever seen.

Second Period:
Briggs is in playing goalie now.  The other guy was probably too busy crying with shame to play this period.  Aha the first penalty is on us of course.  Interestingly Finley has not even been in the box yet. Penalty MN. Successfully killed.  Penalty Us. Successfully killed.  Penalty MN. (only their 3rd of the game)  Duncan scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4-3.  Fabian Goal only seconds later!!!!!!!!!! 5-3.  coincidentals 4 on 4. oops penalty on duncan. 4 on 3 for a minute.  now 5 on 4... successfully killed.  Then of course another penalty on us. Successfully killed to bring us into the 2nd period break.  Bina got the hit of the game. and though MN had many chances this period they did not score.  woot

Third Period:
I hate when announcers call the puck a biscuit.  Penalty on VandeVelde 2.5 minutes into the third.  Our 10th penalty. Successfully killed.  Penalty on MN shortly after ours is killed.  Oshie SCORES!!!!!! 6-3. oh he's so cute.  Trivia:  What 3 WCHA teams have never shut out the gophers at home?  A:  Alaska, Minnesota St. and UND.  Penalty MN.  Successfully killed.  Oshie SCORESSSSSSSSSSS!  And the fans are putting on their coats with 8 minutes left in the period. 7-3. Penalty on Finley.  Successfully killed.  Gophers look demoralized, just the way I like 'em. The crowd is cheering Overrated.  I am guessing the Sioux fans are the ones yelling as they seem to be the only ones left in the arena. Fight! with 17 seconds left.  someone's a poor loser.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!  WE WON!!!!!! Suck it Gophers!  7-3 !  A Sweep!  woohoo!

Too funny.  I remember that game as well. I believe it was the first Sioux road sweep of the Gophs since 1980.

6 minutes ago, Stack said:

Our daughter's email recap of Sioux at Minny on Saturday 27 2007 while we were on a cruise.

Hello Parentals:

First Period:
Both teams came out strong and Minnesota made clear their intentions to play rough with anger by trying some pushing and stuff after the very first whistle.  The game was pretty even for the first half of the first period and then North Dakota scored the first goal (Zajac). Wooooooooooooo.  A couple of minutes later North Dakota scored again (Duncan). Yaaaaaaay!  Then the penalties started.  Apparently, we hadn't learned much from the game last night.  Basically, the rest of the first period involved the killing of penalties followed by more penalties all on our part of course.  Minnesota scored on a 5 on 3 to make it 2-1.  Then Minnesota scored again and again.  Two of their goals were on power play. So it was 2-3 towards the end of the period.  Then with a minute or two left. Bina cleared the puck from right next to our goal.  It bounced down the ice right on net and bounced right over the goalie's leg!  HA HA HA HA!  It was possibly the best goal I've ever seen.

Second Period:
Briggs is in playing goalie now.  The other guy was probably too busy crying with shame to play this period.  Aha the first penalty is on us of course.  Interestingly Finley has not even been in the box yet. Penalty MN. Successfully killed.  Penalty Us. Successfully killed.  Penalty MN. (only their 3rd of the game)  Duncan scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4-3.  Fabian Goal only seconds later!!!!!!!!!! 5-3.  coincidentals 4 on 4. oops penalty on duncan. 4 on 3 for a minute.  now 5 on 4... successfully killed.  Then of course another penalty on us. Successfully killed to bring us into the 2nd period break.  Bina got the hit of the game. and though MN had many chances this period they did not score.  woot

Third Period:
I hate when announcers call the puck a biscuit.  Penalty on VandeVelde 2.5 minutes into the third.  Our 10th penalty. Successfully killed.  Penalty on MN shortly after ours is killed.  Oshie SCORES!!!!!! 6-3. oh he's so cute.  Trivia:  What 3 WCHA teams have never shut out the gophers at home?  A:  Alaska, Minnesota St. and UND.  Penalty MN.  Successfully killed.  Oshie SCORESSSSSSSSSSS!  And the fans are putting on their coats with 8 minutes left in the period. 7-3. Penalty on Finley.  Successfully killed.  Gophers look demoralized, just the way I like 'em. The crowd is cheering Overrated.  I am guessing the Sioux fans are the ones yelling as they seem to be the only ones left in the arena. Fight! with 17 seconds left.  someone's a poor loser.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!  WE WON!!!!!! Suck it Gophers!  7-3 !  A Sweep!  woohoo!

Haha so funny. I actually had just transferred to UND during this season. I go home for Christmas and tell my parents UND isn’t very good at hockey this year lol. My parents make their first trip to GF to visit the weekend of this series. We win Friday so on Saturday morning my mom says to me “I thought you said UND wasn’t very good.” 

:lol: