SiouxSports.com Forum

BADgers @ UND - IceBreaker Tourney - Gameday Thread

stoneySIOUX

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Was very impressed with Berg. 

Love that he plays angry.  Will likely take an over aggressive penalty or two, but having him between 17 and 18 is huge as a puck grabbing center defensively.

Time will tell if he or Ludvig is the portal grab of the year for UND.  (You too #20....you too).

• Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, jk said:

I couldn't watch, but I'm curious on people's opinions.  If say three or four of those posts went in, how does the defense and goaltending feel?  Does the defense look like it has a chance to be better than last year? Thanks.

A very fair question.   We tend to be very outcome-centric in our evaluation.  

This game was far different from the Army game, as Wisconsin is a fast, north playing team with lines that play well together.  Persson was lucky, but he also was in great position all game, making players shoot over him and perhaps "causing" some of the pipes.  

This team seems night-and-day compared to UND last year at this time, IMO.  Just a more focused, grittier team with better skill as well.  Johannes has been the best surprise of the newcomers, although Perron might give him a run by the end.

35 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I heard Wisconsin hit three or four posts last night. Hard to say how the rest of the game would’ve transpired had a couple or all of them had gone in. I’m sure Berry’s game plan would’ve adjusted accordingly. 

Correction five of them: Schloss said, "Persson also had some help from his posts Saturday. Wisconsin hit five of them."

1 hour ago, Goose15 said:

Yes they hit a few pipes, but I thought our defense overall didn't allow a lot of point blank shots.  

For a completely new group, they covered their assignments well and kept their heads about them.   Seldom did they make hurried and rash decisions with the puck.  Badgers could just as well have won that game, but it was encouraging from a defensive standpoint.   As someone pointed out, UW is well coached.  

On 10/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hunter Johannes, it's tough not to really like this guy watching him play and listening to him speak.  Feels like he should have been at North Dakota the whole time, props to Coach Berry for bringing him home.

Just think, if there had never been Covid, we would've never got to see him wear a UND sweater. The guy brings a lot of positive energy with him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Just think, if there had never been Covid, we would've never got to see him wear a UND sweater. The guy brings a lot of positive energy with him. 

Just think, if there had never been Covid we might have already hung banner # 9!

On 10/16/2023 at 9:44 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hunter Johannes, it's tough not to really like this guy watching him play and listening to him speak.  Feels like he should have been at North Dakota the whole time, props to Coach Berry for bringing him home.

I love his moxie and confidence! Loved his response to the question about who the fastest player on the team is and he said he is but that if you asked all 27 players, they’d say the same thing and how important it is to believe in yourself. He doesn’t strike me as a hockey player who gives the typical, cliched responses to questions from the media.

Also loved his personal heart felt responses about dedicating those goals to his “old ma” and grand parents. 

Someone on this board mentioned Cole Smith as someone who comes to mind when comparing to Johannes. Such a spot on comparison!