SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

26 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Why wouldn’t they go to GF instead? 90 mile round trip compared to 110 mile round trip plus you stay in ND. Or is a numbers thing for Crookston?

Grand forks wouldn’t allow it.  

And who knows why GF or EGF wouldn’t allow a coop with Sacred Heart.  Perhaps it’s the old…”opens up a can of worms for other sports” excuse. 

25 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Why wouldn’t they go to GF instead? 90 mile round trip compared to 110 mile round trip plus you stay in ND. Or is a numbers thing for Crookston?

If I had to guess, GF doesn’t want other girls if they have enough of their own or have to make cuts.  Same reason Siri Olson is in DL, I believe they approached GF first. 

• Upvote 1

If Dickinson can hold on defensively, they'll be okay against South/Shanley.  I still have the Bruins winning that game, but I think Dickinson will give them a battle.

Red River and Century should be a decent game.  Century struggled with sickness I'm told, but will have to be exceptional to beat RR.

Legacy will need a goaltending performance from Miller to hold off Central.  Washburn has been terrific in the net for Central this season.

North and Minot is intriguing.  Played to an OT game earlier this year.  If you contain Walen, Watson, Branson you've got a chance if you're Minot.

I'll say an East Sweep, but I think four games that could be decided in the third period.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Grand forks wouldn’t allow it.  

And who knows why GF or EGF wouldn’t allow a coop with Sacred Heart.  Perhaps it’s the old…”opens up a can of worms for other sports” excuse. 

Which is odd because Sacred Heart has girls that play for Central in other sports.  I know Girls Soccer for sure.

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Which is odd because Sacred Heart has girls that play for Central in other sports.  I know Girls Soccer for sure.

Wrestling and cross country, too. Maybe swimming? I am pretty sure some Crookston swimmers have competed for Central in the past.

32 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can you call a one-seed a 'dog? 

When it comes to the hockey in the state of ND and the history of the East against the West, I think we can....I do know this because I've coached against these Dickinson kids, pack a lunch....they leave it all on the ice.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

When it comes to the hockey in the state of ND and the history of the East against the West, I think we can....I do know this because I've coached against these Dickinson kids, pack a lunch....they leave it all on the ice.  

Its usually the whole state vs gf!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can you call a one-seed a 'dog? 

In terms of their history, absolutely. But then I remember the days when there were only 13 teams and the top 2 east teams and top west team from regular season qualified and crossover games decided other 5 state participants. Don't think any teams west of highway 83 at that time. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

In terms of their history, absolutely. But then I remember the days when there were only 13 teams and the top 2 east teams and top west team from regular season qualified and crossover games decided other 5 state participants. Don't think any teams west of highway 83 at that time. 

I wouldn’t mind going back to that 

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

WDA n EDC tourneys started in 95 and was single elimination.  Williston's first season was 91-92 and Mandan came in a year or 2 after if I recall correctly.   

WDA crowds in Bismarck this year and 2 years ago have been fantastic.  The Mandan-Legacy game was as good a crowd I've seen in a long time, and both teams delivered a great game.  Wish more fans would show up for regular season games too, place is an empty desert.  Bismarck dropped the ball a couple years ago by voting down a half cent sales tax which included a bowl arena.

• Upvote 3

On 2/18/2024 at 7:23 AM, Wilbur said:

Good to see some new blood in the tournament on the boys side.  It's been forever for North, and I can't remember the last time Dickinson was at state.

I said it before, but the Friday night late game sets up to be a classic if there aren't upsets.  North and Central have had some battles and Scheels Arena would be absolutely rocking for that game. 

I think for Dickinson it was 2001

Not intending to ruffle feathers here but honestly wondering how these large school co-ops have gotten so out of control in girls hockey. Are girls hockey numbers so poor in WF that 2 of the largest schools in the state have to co-op to field a team? Same goes for GF, FN+FS and BHS+Legacy. Is it more so about being competitive or strictly about being able to even field a team if they don't co-op?

WFS+WF combined is nearly 11x the enrollment of DL(smallest team), GFRR+GFC combined is 6x, North and South combined is about 8x and BHS+Legacy is about 10x. 

Their rosters don't seem to be busting at the seams, so I'm leaning toward the co-ops being needed just to field teams but that just seems crazy to me figuring how large these schools are and being in a pretty strong hockey state. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

Not intending to ruffle feathers here but honestly wondering how these large school co-ops have gotten so out of control in girls hockey. Are girls hockey numbers so poor in WF that 2 of the largest schools in the state have to co-op to field a team? Same goes for GF, FN+FS and BHS+Legacy. Is it more so about being competitive or strictly about being able to even field a team if they don't co-op?

WFS+WF combined is nearly 11x the enrollment of DL(smallest team), GFRR+GFC combined is 6x, North and South combined is about 8x and BHS+Legacy is about 10x. 

Their rosters don't seem to be busting at the seams, so I'm leaning toward the co-ops being needed just to field teams but that just seems crazy to me figuring how large these schools are and being in a pretty strong hockey state. 

And would breaking up the large school co-ops have the effect of encouraging more girls to participate?  And it would probably level the playing field so that there wouldn't be the same two or three schools at the top every year.

• Upvote 1